Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM

105 posts, read 236,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The Toyota Center is too big and everything else is too small = Smells fishy to me
The Merrell Center in Katy or the Berry Center in Cypress would fit the 6-8000 capacity that is common for AHL Arena's. They've both had indoor football so hockey should be possible. There may be other reasons they aren't viable though (not selling alcohol would be one example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM

193 posts, read 436,736 times
The real question is does the NHL want another Sunbelt team? I don't know enough of the inside baseball to say for sure but the impression I get is no.

I'd personally be disappointed to see the Aeros replaced with a new, much more expensive NHL team. I'm still skpetical as to the draw that an NHL team would get here. But nobody from the leagues has called me for an opinion so there it is.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
The Merrell Center in Katy or the Berry Center in Cypress would fit the 6-8000 capacity that is common for AHL Arena's. They've both had indoor football so hockey should be possible. There may be other reasons they aren't viable though (not selling alcohol would be one example).
Those are not central locations. They would have the be supported by the suburbs there. Those are also owned by school districts. They do not have support to create ice. It is not cheap to put in a system to handle that. You would have to tear up the foundation. They are just not suitable locations.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
The real question is does the NHL want another Sunbelt team? I don't know enough of the inside baseball to say for sure but the impression I get is no.

I'd personally be disappointed to see the Aeros replaced with a new, much more expensive NHL team. I'm still skpetical as to the draw that an NHL team would get here. But nobody from the leagues has called me for an opinion so there it is.
The NHL will not have an expansion. It is just moving a team. This is the 4th largest city in the country that will soon be the 3rd. A good amount of people are not from Houston. I think there would be easily as much support as there is for the Rockets. I would probably split season tickets with a friend.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM

193 posts, read 436,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The NHL will not have an expansion. It is just moving a team.
I understand. My point was does the NHL want a team in a new Sunbelt location? Especially with Quebec making moves on the Coyotes. The other thing I wonder about is despite the size of the city and amount of transplants, will there be enough of a market for a team? I see both sides of that argument so I really don't know.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
surprised they lasted this long. I won't lose any sleep over this.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I like my Stros, My Rockets, , my Dynamos, Love my Texans. Even my Coogs.

Aeros???? Heck bring back the Comets instead.
4 titles in their 1st 4 years??? You kidding me?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
I'd personally be disappointed to see the Aeros replaced with a new, much more expensive NHL team.
The positive would be the impact on the youth hockey scene... see Dallas as an example. AHL team does not have the grassroots impact that an NHL team does.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
I understand. My point was does the NHL want a team in a new Sunbelt location? Especially with Quebec making moves on the Coyotes. The other thing I wonder about is despite the size of the city and amount of transplants, will there be enough of a market for a team? I see both sides of that argument so I really don't know.
The NHL wants a good market. Don't think for a second that they wouldn't be tripping over themselves to get into the 4th largest metro, and one of the top 10 tv markets. Phoenix won't go to to Quebec City, or anywhere else in Canada when the League will easily milk $300+ million in expansion fees for any Canadian club.

PHX will go to Seattle, KC, Houston, or some other US city for the cost of the franchise. Houston Mercury...hmmm...

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM

341 posts, read 802,813 times
Aeros could play in Reliant Arena (not the Texans field), but since the team is not currently owned by locals, no tears for me. The teams that we can get would be Columbus Blue Jackets, or Phoenix Coyotes. NHL paid $60 million to Atlanta to get out of their lease, so I can see NHL paying money to relocate to an area with corporate support. I think Seattle will get first before we get ours because Vancouver Canucks needs a closer rivalry, in addition to the teams in Canada. Dallas will be our rivals which would make sense for us getting a team. I don't know if Leslie is committed now since he may have to overspend on his Rockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: