Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM

117 posts, read 230,232 times

Advertisements

If it were up to me, the construction of Riverstone would be stopped immediately. The land around the area is being deforested at an alarming rate. Anyone who negligently decides to buy a home in Riverstone is thoroughly responsible for destroying some of the last bits of forest in Fort Bend County north of the Brazos River. People will come to regret destroying the land for more plastic homes. The "Future Development" of Riverstone, along with the the reckless clearing of land "they" have already done, is beyond irresponsible.

http://www.riverstone.com/uploads/im...ap_Mar2013.pdf

"Welcome to the Forest", that you're helping to clear cut!

http://www.riverstone.com/uploads/im...restbb2012.jpg

Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,334,346 times
I admit it's a hard choice to make. But you also have to realize that the population in the Houston area is constantly increasing. Many people want to be in Texas for the no income tax.

I would think that they would be building a new tree for every tree that they cut down, but that's probably just a personal fantasy.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

188 posts, read 349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
If it were up to me, the construction of Riverstone would be stopped immediately. The land around the area is being deforested at an alarming rate. Anyone who negligently decides to buy a home in Riverstone is thoroughly responsible for destroying some of the last bits of forest in Fort Bend County north of the Brazos River. People will come to regret destroying the land for more plastic homes. The "Future Development" of Riverstone, along with the the reckless clearing of land "they" have already done, is beyond irresponsible.

http://www.riverstone.com/uploads/im...ap_Mar2013.pdf

"Welcome to the Forest", that you're helping to clear cut!

http://www.riverstone.com/uploads/im...restbb2012.jpg
Agree with the view expressed but Why did the county/sugar land/ missouri city grant permission to do that? Is it not irresponsibility on their part also, if its the last bit of forest remaining?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,671,772 times
OP, where do you live? Was your home once sitting on a forested area? Or on a prairie? Do you feel guilt for living where you do?

I live in Riverstone. My home does not sit in the " welcome to forest area," and I don't feel guilty for living here. There are more original trees in my little section of Riverstone than in any other place I have ever lived in Fort Bend county.

Last edited by swopoe; 04-15-2013 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,805,099 times
O man, so sorry. I will immediately sale my house in Riverstone and go back to my natural cave.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,005,267 times
*cues up Michael Jackson's Earth Song*

"What have we done to Fort Bend....look what we've done"

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,065,766 times
Less damage is done to existing forests/natural landscapes when people buy existing homes. buying in new MPCs creates the incentive for developers to develop further and further out. there really is no need and there are a plethora of existing homes that have been standing for decades.

buying a home in an established area that has been reforested (to the best it can be) is less harmful than moving into an area that was clear cut 3 years ago and continues to be developed.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,233,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Less damage is done to existing forests/natural landscapes when people buy existing homes. buying in new MPCs creates the incentive for developers to develop further and further out. there really is no need and there are a plethora of existing homes that have been standing for decades.

buying a home in an established area that has been reforested (to the best it can be) is less harmful than moving into an area that was clear cut 3 years ago and continues to be developed.
Not really. We are way down on existing inventory - and it is a super headache. I thought I would love this scenario - and I do, whenever I represent the seller - but it's tough on buyers out there.

When I first read this thread, I thought "Yeah, why don't they do what The Woodlands does - incorporate the trees into the subdivision?" Then I remembered - what trees in Sugar Land? What forest?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 PM

117 posts, read 230,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Not really. We are way down on existing inventory - and it is a super headache. I thought I would love this scenario - and I do, whenever I represent the seller - but it's tough on buyers out there.

When I first read this thread, I thought "Yeah, why don't they do what The Woodlands does - incorporate the trees into the subdivision?" Then I remembered - what trees in Sugar Land? What forest?
Look on Google Earth, or whatever you have available to you, and overlay that with "future development". All of that nice green is going to be clear cut.

29°32'24.03"N 95°36'33.49"W

Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,988,428 times
Seems like a complaint....closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston