Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM

418 posts, read 742,252 times

Advertisements

I keep reading this suggestion for out-of-state people of getting a P.O. Box at UPS to make it look like you live in Houston so your resume won't be tossed out. Aside from being dishonest to begin with, isn't this something that will eventually be uncovered? Don't employers do background checks that will show where you have worked and lived? What if they already know from their research that you live out of state, and ask in an interview "so how long have you lived in Houston?" If you answer dishonestly, that will confirm to them that they have a liar who is trying to get into their company. Common sense would tell me you would no longer be considered for the position after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Easy to answer without the honesty factor. I look at it this way. Employers are being dishonest (and probably unfair) with you. You are trying to excel and provide for your family. Your most important obligation is to your family first. In these economic depression times you have to do what you have to do and trust you will be forgiven by you know who. Oops can you say his name here?

I did this 15 years ago when I moved to Las Vegas. Back then there were few to no cell phones around so I got me one of those beepers and a PO box so it looked like I was a local. When I was asked during interviews about my past I simply said my wife relocated here and I just happily followed her. The following your spouse's relocation always sounds good and no other explanations are necessary.

As you said, Employers do not hire those who do not already live local. You will have to dig within yourself to enable yourself to color your story to get what you need. Your family comes first. But I gotta tell ya. Ain't no jobs here either unless you're an Engineer or a minimum wage service or retail provider.

Why do you ask this since you already moved to Houston?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 AM

270 posts, read 406,013 times
I wouldn't call it dishonest at all. Or getting a local phone number using Google Voice as well. At the resume stage, it's just contact information. If you get into phone interviews and start stretching the truth about where you are at if asked directly, then you start to get into the dishonest category.

If, however, you are planning to handle moving expenses on your own dime and are upfront about once asked that it actually may be a plus - you are motivated. I've been a hiring manager at large companies and the "HR screen" for good resumes is an imperfect beast. Frankly I'd find someone who did this as clever. I hire engineers, though - I want clever people. I should add most engineers these days aren't too worried about appearing local when they apply!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why do you ask this since you already moved to Houston?
I didn't already move here. I've always lived here. I posted this because I kept seeing that suggestion given here and questioned whether it was good advice.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
It's a little dishonest, but I don't think it will get anybody in trouble.
Just keep in mind, any sign of dishonesty in the interview is enough for them to throw your resume away.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I keep reading this suggestion for out-of-state people of getting a P.O. Box at UPS to make it look like you live in Houston so your resume won't be tossed out. Aside from being dishonest to begin with, isn't this something that will eventually be uncovered? Don't employers do background checks that will show where you have worked and lived? What if they already know from their research that you live out of state, and ask in an interview "so how long have you lived in Houston?" If you answer dishonestly, that will confirm to them that they have a liar who is trying to get into their company. Common sense would tell me you would no longer be considered for the position after that.
You're overthinking this. When they ask, "So how long have you lived in Houston?" you say, "I'm in the process of relocating to Houston from <name of previous city>." They don't care about the details of where you live...they care about whether they have to pay for interviews or relocation, how soon you could start, and whether you would really like Houston or not. As long as you convince them that hiring you will be easy and that you won't decide in two months you hate Houston, they they are free to focus on your skills, background, and interpersonal fit.

The reason to put a Houston address is that HR assistants, software programs, and busy hiring managers are often the people doing the initial screens. If you put a non-Houston address, it is just way too easy to put you in the "No" pile.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
I think its a best way to make the first cut. If you live out of state, I wont spend too much time looking at your application. I probably have someone of equal talent in the same pile that does not need to move here to work for me.

I don't think its terribly dishonest really.

Get to that interview and wow me with your skills. Then explain how the move will segue with your employment start date. If you don't have it all dialed in I would lose interest fast.

A local phone number doesn't matter anymore.

I don't even wonder about it past "so how long have you been in Houston?"

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Wow. This thread is an eye opener for me. I had no idea employers were so against outsiders applying for jobs. If I ever apply for a job in a different city I doubt I'll lie but I will mention in the cover letter I'll cover my own expenses for interview travel and relocation. Although in the field I'm in your references are weighed very heavily as well as education and licensure.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
As you said, Employers do not hire those who do not already live local.
I got my last job in Austin when I lived in San Antonio. Got my current job in Houston when I lived in Austin. While employers may not always like hiring people that aren't local, it does happen. Simply just saying they don't isn't true. For both of them I mentioned I was willing to relocate, travel for the interview and did not require relocation assistance when I applied. A couple days before being offered the job in Houston, I was offered a job in Idaho based entirely on resume and phone interviews.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Best thing to do is get a proxy address from the UPS store...much better than a P.O. Box and also Google voice in which you can have a number in the area code of the place you are looking to apply and it ring on your current cellphone. Is it dishonest??? One could argue so, but these days you must do what you need to do as long as it isn't outright illegal and not hurting anyone.

BUT and a huge BUT...DO NOT DO THIS WITH ANY JOB REQUIRING A SECURITY CLEARANCE...It can and will bite you in the behind and in the case of clearances it is illegal to provide false income...it will be discovered in the background investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: