Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM

189 posts, read 224,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Check out Galena Park any time of the day. You might see one non-Hispanic person but pretty much for a good 30 minutes you won't.
If you start from southeast Houston, east Houston, city of South Houston through north of downtown up 45 or Airline, Aldine and East Aldine... All hispanic 😂.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
So what is the difference between "economic inequality" and "economic segregation"?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:30 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I thought the lack of zoning caused the rich and the poor to live amongst each other.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought the lack of zoning caused the rich and the poor to live amongst each other.
I'm pretty sure there are no poor people in River Oaks.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm pretty sure there are no poor people in River Oaks.
You got me. I was really looking at places like Spring Branch and certain areas in the OST area. I guess these areas are a mixture of middle class and poor.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 AM

259 posts, read 350,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You got me. I was really looking at places like Spring Branch and certain areas in the OST area. I guess these areas are a mixture of middle class and poor.
To me, the word "segregation" implies that the government, or the dominant racial group is intentionally and systematically forcing people of different ethnicities to live in different areas. I know this isn't the case in Houston, and I would be surprised if it was the case anywhere in the US.

As others have mentioned, what we see in Houston (and most major cities) is "racial clustering" and socioeconomics at work. People want to live by people that speak the same language, share a similar culture, and have the same religious beliefs. In addition to that, race and economics are currently highly correlated (unfortunately), which adds to the effect.

There are still plenty of racists out there... and there are a lot of people who like think that every problem that they face is a result of racial discrimination towards them. However, I believe racism is dying overall. It will be less and less of an issue with each generation.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't closed yet. I've seen OilDog shut down threads for much less than this.

Houston is segregated, but not any more or less than any other city in the country or even the world.

Houston is diverse, people move here from overseas all the time and they gather with the people they are comfortable. It's human nature.

And I would even argue that Houston is less economically segregated than other parts of the country. You see crappy old homes that are right next to brand new apartments/condo's. We see hole in the wall establishments scattered in highly affluent areas all the time.

The only thing segregating Houston is probably the new crappy "city-centre/town center" establishments everywhere. The make Houston seem stale, boring and fake, but luckily Houston has places like the Heights, Montrose, and Rice village. Hope they keep places like that and preserve some shred of character and identity.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
As others have mentioned, what we see in Houston (and most major cities) is "racial clustering" and socioeconomics at work. People want to live by people that speak the same language, share a similar culture, and have the same religious beliefs. In addition to that, race and economics are currently highly correlated (unfortunately), which adds to the effect.
Reminds me of St. Louis' "The Hill"
But since it's an italian neighborhood, everybody thinks is cute

Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
My parents retired as millionaires. However they live in what used to be a middle class neighborhood turned lower class, complete with 8 year olds who walk around screaming cuss words, and large, aggressive stray dogs prevent them from safely going for a walk. They have their reasons.

I live in one of the top 5 zip codes in that Houston Business Journal site. There isn't a poor person for miles, crime is extremely low and schools are good. But you have to deal with a large contingent of sociopathic baby boomers posing, embellishing, living lies. (Apparently no one told them how easy it is for someone to look them up online, especially if they own their own business or have a crazy last name.). And racism? We won't even go there.

It was this crowd my parents refused to live near. They cannot be the only ones who chose to do this.

Anyway it doesn't really bother me what they do. Around here Gen X is slowly replacing the boomers as they downsize, and as we make them uncomfortable. There are still posers but it is the exception, not a way of life. I'm hoping my parents will eventually move closer to us for their final years but I'm not counting on it.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't closed yet. I've seen OilDog shut down threads for much less than this.

Houston is segregated, but not any more or less than any other city in the country or even the world.

Houston is diverse, people move here from overseas all the time and they gather with the people they are comfortable. It's human nature.

And I would even argue that Houston is less economically segregated than other parts of the country. You see crappy old homes that are right next to brand new apartments/condo's. We see hole in the wall establishments scattered in highly affluent areas all the time.

The only thing segregating Houston is probably the new crappy "city-centre/town center" establishments everywhere. The make Houston seem stale, boring and fake, but luckily Houston has places like the Heights, Montrose, and Rice village. Hope they keep places like that and preserve some shred of character and identity.
I never understood the hate for these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston