Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM

243 posts, read 799,862 times

Advertisements

we are in the process of building a new home to be completed in late September. we will have a dedicated media room and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation as to who is the best. service after the sale is probably the most important factor in our decision making. we have been to bet buy (magnolia), gallery furniture, and fry's. fry's didn't even have a working projector, so we were disappointed with them.

we are looking to have a projector and screen installed in katy. thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
None of those. You will probably find better quality equipment, prices, and service with a custom local dealer. Unfortunately I don't know any, but you can search and read reviews.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Here are a couple of local ones:

TV wall mounting,home speaker installation,cable & phone lines
http://www.avjobstoday.com

I had Texas Cable Doctors run my surround sound speaker wire in my game room. The cost was reasonable and they did a good job.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Here are a couple of local ones:

TV wall mounting,home speaker installation,cable & phone lines
http://www.avjobstoday.com

I had Texas Cable Doctors run my surround sound speaker wire in my game room. The cost was reasonable and they did a good job.
do they sell and install projectors and screens? it looks like from their website, they only run cables. i am having everything prewired during the build process.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
In regards to your projector/screen purchase, I would personally not purchase from local resellers. Prices are usually close to retail and can be had for much less from online retailers such as Amazon. (Actually, now that I think about it, Best Buy and Magnolia have stepped up their game by price matching Amazon, and there's no restocking fee.)

Do you know what screen/projector you would like for your room? Do you plan to install the projector to the ceiling? Also, if you are having the home pre-wired (we did the same), it is fairly easy to run the cabling through the conduit tubing they will leave in the wall. Check this out: How to Fish Wires Through a Conduit or Pipe: 5 Steps
Your new home should have a plastic plate covering the conduit at the rear of your ceiling where the projector will be installed, as well as an electrical outlet to plug the projector into. That conduit leads to the back of the room where your screen will be along with your media cabinet. They both run along studs where the projector will be mounted, and it's pretty simple to do. I did mine with nobody assisting me (and I don't claim to be a handy man by any means).

We had a new home built and I did all of the work myself. It took me a single evening after work. I can answer any questions that you may have if you decide to do it yourself.

How big is your theater room? Here are a couple photos of my room after I painted it and had everything setup

Prior to painting and mounting the projector

Also, I can help you pick out your home theater speakers, receivers and other components if you aren't too sure about those items either. I have a bit of experience with them.

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 06-07-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 20,145 times
I found a local installer to put some hardware I already had in that was a good price (don't have the name on me at work). Wanted to chime in, though, the Magnolia Design Center inside of the Best Buy on I-10 has been awesome to deal with. The manager came out to my house and did a survey and worked up a plan from my budget. They've priced matched everything against online prices. All that said, dealing with the main Best Buy floor salesmen was a bust and I wouldn't even bother.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC2Houston View Post
I found a local installer to put some hardware I already had in that was a good price (don't have the name on me at work). Wanted to chime in, though, the Magnolia Design Center inside of the Best Buy on I-10 has been awesome to deal with. The manager came out to my house and did a survey and worked up a plan from my budget. They've priced matched everything against online prices. All that said, dealing with the main Best Buy floor salesmen was a bust and I wouldn't even bother.
I agree. I purchased my center channel speaker from the Best Buy Magnolia store off I-10 near Fry Rd.. They were pretty darn amazing and went over the top in service. They were priced $50 over what online retailers were, but they matched the price for me.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
do they sell and install projectors and screens? it looks like from their website, they only run cables. i am having everything prewired during the build process.
If you are looking to buy a projector and screen, check out the package deals on this site:

Projector Package Deals For Home Theater - Visual Apex Projector Deals 1.800.883.7495

I imagine either company I linked earlier can install them for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. But I'd probably call them to make sure.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,920 times
HomePro is a local company you may consider with a showroom on Beltway 8 North. They offer equipment and installation customized to your needs. I used them for some in-wall speakers and was very satisfied with their work.

[url=http://www.homeprotech.com/]Welcome to HomePro Inc - Home Technologies[/url]

Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
In regards to your projector/screen purchase, I would personally not purchase from local resellers. Prices are usually close to retail and can be had for much less from online retailers such as Amazon. (Actually, now that I think about it, Best Buy and Magnolia have stepped up their game by price matching Amazon, and there's no restocking fee.)

Do you know what screen/projector you would like for your room? Do you plan to install the projector to the ceiling? Also, if you are having the home pre-wired (we did the same), it is fairly easy to run the cabling through the conduit tubing they will leave in the wall. Check this out: How to Fish Wires Through a Conduit or Pipe: 5 Steps
Your new home should have a plastic plate covering the conduit at the rear of your ceiling where the projector will be installed, as well as an electrical outlet to plug the projector into. That conduit leads to the back of the room where your screen will be along with your media cabinet. They both run along studs where the projector will be mounted, and it's pretty simple to do. I did mine with nobody assisting me (and I don't claim to be a handy man by any means).

We had a new home built and I did all of the work myself. It took me a single evening after work. I can answer any questions that you may have if you decide to do it yourself.

How big is your theater room? Here are a couple photos of my room after I painted it and had everything setup

Prior to painting and mounting the projector

Also, I can help you pick out your home theater speakers, receivers and other components if you aren't too sure about those items either. I have a bit of experience with them.

that looks great. i, so far, was more impressed with the knowlege of the components at magnolia. they were the first for us to visit, so we weren't sure how they compared, but based on everyone's recommendations, i'm leaning towards magnolia a bit.

the room is 15 x 17. it has 9' ceilings, but a slant at the front and back to 80" at the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: