Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times

Advertisements

I know there was a big vote last november that passed preventing more light rail from being built until 2025 or something. Can anyone better explain what happened and what this means? Is it true more light rail wont be built, or do they still have plans on the back burner to implement some of the other lines they have planned once funding materializes? I was trying to look into it but couldnt figure it out, though i did learn that the city had planned on building more light rail than the 3 lines we have now and University and Uptown. I had no idea they were planning on extending the east end/southeast lines west of downtown to the Northwest Transit Center. it makes sense though the way the tracks kind of abruptly end on the northwest side of downtown at the moment. i wonder if they will ever follow through with these routes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 AM

507 posts, read 807,210 times
LOL sorry TexasTallest but as of now that's just a fantasy map

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default It does not make too much sense...

I love the idea behind rail lines, but I do have to question if putting in rail lines to distant suburbia is right in the sense that you make a problem like Houston's even worse. Instead of encouraging people to live in the city and creating a larger tax base to ease the burden of paying for these things, it would make it easier for people who don't live in Houston's city limits to come in and enjoy all of the benefits of Houston, but not pay for them. It would just encourage even more sprawl. Every single one of us who lives anyplace other than within the city limits of Houston and comes into Houston to work is enjoying many of things Houston offers without realizing it.

Of course, if you live in those cities (I do), it would be great, but would it be fair to the majority of taxpayers who have to foot the bill? I guess if it were mostly funded by State, or Federal money, that would be even better.

In Europe, the majority of rail is funded by the government, so it works well that way; maybe that is what needs to happen here too? Or cities that do well can alway build their own lines to connect up with METRO's.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
This is actually a good question that I have no answer for. Metro is so damn confusing. They run all the buses. They spend massive amounts of money on roads. They also do the rail. I know they have spend rail money on roads. That is a referendum that passed and it the wording was so confusing I think most people did not even know what they were voting for. So, in 2012 you never voted for any rail funding. You voted to siphon funds from the rail. I voted no which was to keep the funds for rail only. We will have two new routes opening in about a year. The others are so far off.

People feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I get lost when trying to figure out what the hell Metro does with our money.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
you won't get true greenspace in the city and the new families have not shown a desire to participate in the local school districts so suburbia will always win out..cater to what you have

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
The November ballot issue was a vote against Light Rail, even though METRO and the MAYOR lied and said it wasn't. Transportation advocates predicted what would happen, NO MORE NEW LIGHT RAIL until 2025. When the transportation advocates warned the public (a small majority who now support light rail) METRO then the MAYOR came out and said while this bill makes it legally impossible for METRO to fund Light Rail's future....it would somehow magically pay off some debt and that would allow money from other sources to fund the Light Rail. BOLD LIE.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times
We have a Mayoral Election coming up soon. Somebody needs to hold Annise accountable and flat out ask her about her vote and position on Light Rail and how she plans to help get it funded. I think she's been a good mayor but this still pisses me off.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I love the idea behind rail lines, but I do have to question if putting in rail lines to distant suburbia is right in the sense that you make a problem like Houston's even worse..
light rail encourages high density development around the rail station
it also gives a community such as... let's say Katy, to build a small network of bus lines with the rail station as their main hub.

The key to its success is to also have a railline loop around the city, in this case, that would go through what is gonna be the Grand Parkway (just an example)
because that would also give the opportunity to people in those communities to travel to other places around the city without being forced to travel to the "downtown hub"

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
So no matter what happens after the next mayoral election Light Rail wont get any more funding until 2025? can it still receive federal funding?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
This is actually a good question that I have no answer for. Metro is so damn confusing. They run all the buses. They spend massive amounts of money on roads. They also do the rail. I know they have spend rail money on roads. That is a referendum that passed and it the wording was so confusing I think most people did not even know what they were voting for. So, in 2012 you never voted for any rail funding. You voted to siphon funds from the rail. I voted no which was to keep the funds for rail only. We will have two new routes opening in about a year. The others are so far off.

People feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I get lost when trying to figure out what the hell Metro does with our money.
Metro definitely had some bad leadership, but that bad wording on the ballot goes to the city. And more rail not being complete already (plus a better Red Line) did not happen because Tom Delay,John Culberson, and Cornyn blocked federal funding. Those funds were sent to Dallas, where their congressmen gladly accepted on behalf of Dart. Imagine if houston didn't have those idiot politicians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston