Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
Wow. I thought young, highly educated professionals would be almost all liberal. To hear that it's only 50-50 in Houston is not encouraging to me.
Hmmm, and how many of these places full of young liberals is the economy booming?

Why don't you want to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
If you want political information, you might want to look at how the precincts voted in state and national elections. You'll have to do some work yourself, though, and it's not that easy. Otherwise, things are anecdotal and will be slanted by the forumers' personal politics.

One thing that is not anecdotal is that the inner cities of Texas' major cities tend to vote democratic. And surprisingly to many people, Harris County (which contains the city proper of Houston and most of its suburbs) voted democratic in the last presidential election (barely squeaked by).

Everywhere I go in this country, most people are nice to each other regardless of political affiliation. The news media, including online forums, comments on newspaper articles, comments on Yahoo articles, etc., tend to bring out a small minority of various political persuasions who don't really represent how most people interact with one another. It's easy to get a negative impression if you just listen to the most hyper-political people. The worst thing one can do is get addictive to cable news (especially Fox and MSNBC), which distort reality and present news only to inflame.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM

683 posts, read 834,367 times
Gay liberal couple here....live in the loop and spend lots of time out in Katy visiting with our conservative gay friend. No matter in the city or out do we have any issues with this democrat/republican thing. We don't hide our 12 relationship. Still no issues. Also have lived in PDX, SF and Chicago. All considered liberal...but you know those cities may be liberal but they too have conservatives and as you get outside of those cities things become more conservative. But then again never had issues in those cities or suburbs. On social issues I found Chicago to be rather conservative...union wise progressive. Houston seems to be more hands off which I kind of think is a little liberal too....

News is a little right of moderate...but it was in Chicago too what with the Tribune being more of an anti-union/suburban republican ilk.

H

Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Having now read a lot of these posts, I can say that a few of the posters don't know what they're talking about. They're just putting forth their political biases, and exposing their "bubble" thinking, if you know what that is. That means that people are guilty of thinking that "everyone" thinks just like they do. This is why so many hard core conservatives nationally were shocked at the outcome of the last presidential election. They listened primarily to one news outlet and weren't aware of what others were thinking and doing.

Some of these posts have been very reasonable. I would expect that for a Houston forum, more so than some other cities.

Most people are conservative on some issues and liberal on others. For example, I'm a hard core pro-lifer and can't imagine shutting off an entity's opportunity to live. There will never be another chance at life if that life is ended. On the other hand, I also can't imagine discriminating against people who are great contributors to society, but just happen to have been born with a sexual orientation different from the "norm". We've dealt with this in our family. There is no choice in the matter, and people cannot be something they are not. So this is called thinking for myself, not thinking something just because someone told me how to think (e.g., Fox or MSNBC, talk radio, etc).

Fiscally, decisions are made case by case. On some issues, we should be conservative, and on others, more fiscally liberal. We have an unfortunate situation in Texas right now with a Governor who is vetoing reasonable bills simply to conform with a hyper-conservative label, not to conform with rational thought. Even many of his conservative associates are puzzled. In the past, many of his decisions were rational, but that has change in the last couple of years. To be fair, there are hyper-liberal politicians who vote on legislation not on a case by case basis, but solely to conform to a liberal label. Same thing Perry and so many conservatives are doing. I think Americans are getting tired of this.

My experience with Houston is like several posters have said. People in general are respectful of others, and that works well because the city is so ethnically diverse and international in character. There are always some who are attention grabbers and hateful toward others. But overall Houston does very well with the way people treat each other.

You will fit in very well, no matter what area the city you choose.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Gay liberal couple here....live in the loop and spend lots of time out in Katy visiting with our conservative gay friend. No matter in the city or out do we have any issues with this democrat/republican thing. We don't hide our 12 relationship. Still no issues. Also have lived in PDX, SF and Chicago. All considered liberal...but you know those cities may be liberal but they too have conservatives and as you get outside of those cities things become more conservative. But then again never had issues in those cities or suburbs. On social issues I found Chicago to be rather conservative...union wise progressive. Houston seems to be more hands off which I kind of think is a little liberal too....

News is a little right of moderate...but it was in Chicago too what with the Tribune being more of an anti-union/suburban republican ilk.

H
Hey Chicago3rd. I've seen your posts in an architectural forum. Good to see you here.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post

H
I sure hope you mean 12 year relationship, as a straight man the only thing that scares me more than 1 wife is 12.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Liberals and Conservatives coexist peacfully in Houston, unlike places like LA, New York, or San Francisco, where the Liberals tend to be militant. You won't find much of that here, but as the previous poster said, those types exist on either side no matter where you live.
Oh, yeah. Down heah in Hewstun, Texas, we make sure dem libs know they place.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM

298 posts, read 381,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, yeah. Down heah in Hewstun, Texas, we make sure dem libs know they place.
Uptown for me. I like traffic. And shopping. Also, I must have a CVS and/or a Walgreens on every corner.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 PM

683 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I sure hope you mean 12 year relationship, as a straight man the only thing that scares me more than 1 wife is 12.
Lol, well if you want 12 wives it is Biblically supported...lol. Opps..........am with you one is enough.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Having now read a lot of these posts, I can say that a few of the posters don't know what they're talking about. They're just putting forth their political biases, and exposing their "bubble" thinking, if you know what that is. That means that people are guilty of thinking that "everyone" thinks just like they do. This is why so many hard core conservatives nationally were shocked at the outcome of the last presidential election. They listened primarily to one news outlet and weren't aware of what others were thinking and doing.

Some of these posts have been very reasonable. I would expect that for a Houston forum, more so than some other cities.

Most people are conservative on some issues and liberal on others. For example, I'm a hard core pro-lifer and can't imagine shutting off an entity's opportunity to live. There will never be another chance at life if that life is ended. On the other hand, I also can't imagine discriminating against people who are great contributors to society, but just happen to have been born with a sexual orientation different from the "norm". We've dealt with this in our family. There is no choice in the matter, and people cannot be something they are not. So this is called thinking for myself, not thinking something just because someone told me how to think (e.g., Fox or MSNBC, talk radio, etc).

Fiscally, decisions are made case by case. On some issues, we should be conservative, and on others, more fiscally liberal. We have an unfortunate situation in Texas right now with a Governor who is vetoing reasonable bills simply to conform with a hyper-conservative label, not to conform with rational thought. Even many of his conservative associates are puzzled. In the past, many of his decisions were rational, but that has change in the last couple of years. To be fair, there are hyper-liberal politicians who vote on legislation not on a case by case basis, but solely to conform to a liberal label. Same thing Perry and so many conservatives are doing. I think Americans are getting tired of this.

My experience with Houston is like several posters have said. People in general are respectful of others, and that works well because the city is so ethnically diverse and international in character. There are always some who are attention grabbers and hateful toward others. But overall Houston does very well with the way people treat each other.

You will fit in very well, no matter what area the city you choose.
I totally agree. Thank you. Also, for those of you reading, please don't take the replies of this single online forum as the whole voice of what Houston is and has to offer. There are quite a few politically spoken people here who frequently reply such questions with bias. You simply must experience it yourself to make your own personal decision...that may sound a bit hard to swallow, but it's the only way you'll really know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston