Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM

683 posts, read 836,114 times

Advertisements

AM always concerned these topics are troll driven. Maybe this isn't.

1. Tons of information on here about Houston. Lots of it is informational....very useful. Lots is sh...
2. THE THREE cities you are tying to compare Houston to ARE TOTALLY from a different ERA HISTORICALLY and SOCIALLY. Apples and Oranges are FRUITS that is all they have in common. The three cities you mentioned are URBAN DENSE. Houston is not. One is NOT any better or worse than the other...it is all preference.

Many pluses and negatives about Houston's path. If you really are serious, come up with specifics for us to compare to. Don't leave it open ended, which makes it look just like another troll attack. Plus it is interesting to have specific questions asked and answered....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,552,909 times
People who live in ok neighborhoods say where they live exactly. Others who live in junky area say *inside the loop*. Most inside the loop is junky

Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,700,328 times
I have a friend who lives in Phili and used to live in DC. He says Houston is better. Though it won't be better than Chicago or NYC. Midtown is loaded with young professionals who love to party. Montrose and Midtown are the places to live. Every third person is a young engineer there including women.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,024,536 times
It all depends on the person. I had a friend who lived in manhattan and worked Wall Street for years and moved to Houston and fell in love with it. He says he would never live in nyc again.

And yes people in the loop especially Montrose and Midtown love to party. It always feels like mix of Vegas, New Orleans and Austin in inner loop Houston as far as the nightlife. Its a totally different bird though than NYC and LA.

I think what sets it apart is that inner loop Houston has a lot of world class amenities but it just doesn't hype them or make them seem too trendy. I mean I found out Houston has a lot of stuff LA has but it doesn't seem that grand. For instance Pei Wei Chinese Food, Grand Lux Cafe are seen as kind of high end places to eat. Not so much the former but all of the Pei Wei's I've seen in LA gave been on nice areas on the ritzy Westside. To me I thought it was strange cus Pei Wei was a cheap place to get Asian food, like a step above Panda Express.

Houston is not super exclusive and doesn't make a huge deal of the world class amenities it has. I always end up being surprised when Houston has something another major town also has.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,888,670 times
It really doesn't matter how it compares to cities you're familiar with. It is what it is. Infill is happening fast, more light rail lines are opening, and it's a great place to live. But it's a waste of time to compare it with other places.

To the person who credited Californians with the changes, get real. The changes are due to the creativity and energy of people from all over the world, including many native Houstonians who are working very hard to make the city more livable. Californians are likely part of the mix as well.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
AM always concerned these topics are troll driven. Maybe this isn't.

1. Tons of information on here about Houston. Lots of it is informational....very useful. Lots is sh...
2. THE THREE cities you are tying to compare Houston to ARE TOTALLY from a different ERA HISTORICALLY and SOCIALLY. Apples and Oranges are FRUITS that is all they have in common. The three cities you mentioned are URBAN DENSE. Houston is not. One is NOT any better or worse than the other...it is all preference.

Many pluses and negatives about Houston's path. If you really are serious, come up with specifics for us to compare to. Don't leave it open ended, which makes it look just like another troll attack. Plus it is interesting to have specific questions asked and answered....
I was thinking it might be a troll attack, too, possibly from some of the Houston bashers at SSP.com. But it could also be a very sincere question. Who knows. As long as the responses are constructive, then great.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
People who live in ok neighborhoods say where they live exactly. Others who live in junky area say *inside the loop*. Most inside the loop is junky
Some of it is. But much of it is extremely nice (more so than most cities), and even some of the ghetto areas are rapidly becoming great places to live.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM

556 posts, read 1,087,556 times
Quote:
Not really. Most people refer to living ITL because they are referencing it to someone who is not familiar with all of the particular pockets. Most people living in Sugar Land aren't probably going to be too familiar with Cottage Grove or Shady Acres, so you would just say, inside the loop, north of I-10.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
Not really. Most people refer to living ITL because they are referencing it to someone who is not familiar with all of the particular pockets. Most people living in Sugar Land aren't probably going to be too familiar with Cottage Grove or Shady Acres, so you would just say, inside the loop, north of I-10.
riiiight.
you can google 'Cottage Grove' or 'Shady Acres', but you cant google 'inside the loop'
what kind of people do you deal with?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Some of it is. But much of it is extremely nice (more so than most cities), and even some of the ghetto areas are rapidly becoming great places to live.
I haven't seen 'extremely nice'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston