Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times

Advertisements

For all you people who think that you have to live ITL on the west side of Houston to be in a historically significant neighborhood with a promising future, think again.

Glenbrook Valley, a 1950s and 1960s era Houston subdivision, was listed among the top “old neighborhoods” in the U.S.
This Old House, a New York-based home improvement publication, listed 61 neighborhoods their editors believe “have promising futures, strong communities and homes that truly deserve a long-term commitment” on the 2013 Best Old-House Neighborhoods list.
Glenbrook Valley was noted among the top 10 picks by the editors, along with neighborhoods in California, Oregon, Washington D.C., Ohio, New Jersey, Georgia and Michigan.
According to the site, Glenbrook Valley has about 3,140 residents. The style of the neighborhood is mostly American ranch and mid-century modern homes, which go for less than $100,000 or up to $300,000. The website notes:

Houston subdivision named a top ‘old’ neighborhood | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 AM

872 posts, read 828,414 times
I grew up in Glenbrook Valley. My parents bought the house in the mid 60's. I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. But, let's be honest. The Neighborhood is nothing like it was then. Too many low income apartments were built there in the 80's, this was one of the biggest downfalls for the neighborhood. I would not live there now.

Last edited by Tassy001; 09-25-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM

58 posts, read 101,490 times
Nice neighborhood but this wouldn't have made any best of lists if they considered the quality of the public schools and the area that immediately surrounds it... because both of those are the pits. Sounds like a prime candidate for the next gayborhood. Maybe that would remove the drunk bums who sleep on the concrete in parking lots surrounded by their wine bottles.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,200 times
Now this is insane. Do we really need a gay parade to come in and take over a neighborhood to make it better. What is the world coming to?
Just because it worked for Montrose does not mean we need to make it an Enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
Sounds like a prime candidate for the next gayborhood. Maybe that would remove the drunk bums who sleep on the concrete in parking lots surrounded by their wine bottles.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM

191 posts, read 350,926 times
Great example of what happens when folks not familiar with an area create a "Best (insert category)" list.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Not a fan of the surrounding area but LOVE the homes.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
I grew up in Glenbrook Valley. My parents bought the house in the mid 60's. I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. But, let's be honest. The Neighborhood is nothing like it was then. Too many low income apartments were built there in the 80's, this was one of the biggest downfalls for the neighborhood. I would not live there now.
When you grew up there, was Glenbrook Valley a City, and State, designated historical neighborhood? Also the article claims there is a high demand there now from young buyers, property values are bound to be going up. Even thought the style of homes is different, imo, Glenbrook Valley has a lot in common with the Heights, 20 years ago in its resurgence

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,220,586 times
that's the problem with HISD...the schools will never improve because the residents are scared to something over and change as a whole...they just ship them to somewhere else miles away

Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM

872 posts, read 828,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
When you grew up there, was Glenbrook Valley a City, and State, designated historical neighborhood? Also the article claims there is a high demand there now from young buyers, property values are bound to be going up. Even thought the style of homes is different, imo, Glenbrook Valley has a lot in common with the Heights, 20 years ago in its resurgence

The article can say anything it wants.....but, if schools are important to young buyers - I doubt they would pick this neighborhood. The apartment slums surrounding the neighborhood, bad schools, airplane noise and overall bad part of town will keep a lot of people from buying in this location.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Homes are fabulous but area around it are rough so you have to drive a bit for safe shopping and dining. Fine with kids as long as private schools are used vs public. Public schools are a definite no but I do love the homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston