Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,009 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently attending school at the University of Illinois and I've been living up here almost my entire life. I am tired of the cold winters and that is one of the main reasons I am moving down there. Being closer to Mexico is another, since I have a lot of family down there. I will be graduating with an Economics degree this fall and I did a store management internship with Target this summer and got offered the job. My plan is to apply to other jobs in the Houston area and if I do not find anything else I plan on transferring to a Target down in Houston. Then after a few years in Houston and gaining experience at Target hopefully I can find something else once I establish some connections and network. I do not really see myself in retail long term.

One of the questions I have is how is employment outlook for college graduates down there? Would you guys say its comparable to Chicago? Also, as far as neighborhoods I am looking more at diverse neighborhoods. They do not have to be heavily Hispanic but a sizable population. Preferably one with many young people, close to bars/ restaurants etc.

Also how is public transportation? Or is a car pretty much needed? I've spent more time in San Antonio is Houston's public transportation comparable to San Antonio's?

I am really looking to moving down there as soon as January. My goal is that this year will be my last cold winter

I am not too familiar with Houston as I haven't spent much time there. So I am trying to get more information from people that live there. I am from Rockford, IL I imagine it can't be worse than Rockford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
A car is needed. Our public transportation isn't good - and the city is spread out over a HUGE area. Being that large, it's important to keep your commute decent - so it would be helpful if we knew the location of your job. Rent at first - close to the work location. Houston is very diverse as to race - what is more important is not to be stuck out in the far suburbs while being young and single. If you have a choice in locations, pick one closer to the Inner Loop, if possible.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM

Yes I am open right now as to what neighborhood or area of Houston to live in. I dont plan on taking a car down there what I think ill end up doing is buying a car a month or two after moving there.

As for the location of my job theyre letting me transfer into any of the Targets in the Houston area. But like i said i plan on looking for other jobs once I am established down there. So looking for an apartment close to a Target is not important.

When you say public transportation is not good, would you say its worse than San Antonio's??

I wasnt expecting it to be as good as Chicago's for example. But I figured it would be somewhat decent.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Houston Metro is roughly 2.5X the size of San Antonio. I have never relied on public transportation in either (shudder), but my guess is it is worse, because of sheer size. Take that Target just south of I-10, Inner Loop. It will put you close to Midtown - great for a single.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
There is a target just outside of the galleria alongside the border of river oaks. Lots of apts nearby and close to upper kirby and montrose another good place for young people

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM

What is roughly the rent rage in these areas? Montrose/ Midtown etc. Ive looked a bit on craiglists and most are upwards to $1,500. Would it be hard to find something under $1,000 in these areas?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM

95 posts, read 169,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon100 View Post
What is roughly the rent rage in these areas? Montrose/ Midtown etc. Ive looked a bit on craiglists and most are upwards to $1,500. Would it be hard to find something under $1,000 in these areas?
Yes, that will be hard. Anything under 1k would really old in need of updates. There might be some that are 800-1000 that are smaller efficiencies.

I live in Greenway area and it's pretty close to bars/restaurants hangouts and city life. Most people I see around are in their 20's. Rent is around 1000-1500 for a 1bdrm. You could check out Westchase and Galleria areas for some good prices on apartments, but you'll have to drive a little more to get to downtown/midtown/montrose.

Yes, you should have a car to live in Houston. It's not a bad thing, I actually prefer it to riding around with smelly strangers in public transportation lol.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
The only area in Houston you can live in without a car is Midtown. Honestly, a car in Houston is a must. Our public transportation is terrible. It will be 20 years before we get a decent rail system together. Montrose, Heights, Midtown are what you are looking for.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM

58 posts, read 101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The only area in Houston you can live in without a car is Midtown. Honestly, a car in Houston is a must. Our public transportation is terrible. It will be 20 years before we get a decent rail system together. Montrose, Heights, Midtown are what you are looking for.
For under $1,000?

Just yesterday people were on here saying everything is $2,500+.

Did a bomb just go off there or something?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
There are apartments for under a grand in Montrose and the Heights. There are areas in the loop that are around 1000. It can be done. 2500+? Maybe living at 6th Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston