Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 AM flight next Friday out of Bush but I haven't flown since 2008 so I really don't know what to expect as far as when to get there, how long security will take, parking, etc. I was thinking about parking in Ecopark unless anyone has a better suggestion. I'll be driving from College Station. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Columbus Day isn't that big of a travel weekend. Heck i think public schools are still in session.

However, a reservation was required for The Parking Spot last Labor Day. The airport was packed and we were so glad to have one.

I always count on being at the parking facility 90 minutes before domestic flights, two hours before international.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
All the parking spots seem to be the same. There are no real tricks. Security takes 10-45min. At 6am I bet it is quick. If you have to check in baggage it will take longer. Or if you have to go to the ticket counter at all. I do 60-90min depending if I am doing carry on and the time of day I am going.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM

42 posts, read 107,453 times
You will run into the business travelers Monday morning, including me. If you leave from terminal B give yourself 30-40 min to get bags checked and through security. If C it will be a bit less usually. They have quite a few more gate agents for bag drops and more scanners in security. If C security is backed up, walk over to E. E is almost always quicker if C is backed up. I usually park at park-n-fly. Enjoy your flight.

I would be at the park-n-fly no later than 5 and you will be fine. You won't have long to get breakfast but won't have a problem making the flight.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Be in the airport an hour before your flight is scheduled to leave.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times
Is staying near the airport the night before out of the question? I wouldn't trust the conditions (road/traffic/weather/airlines/getting up extra early) coming from 90 miles away for a flight at that time. That's just me, but I'm one of those people that always gets to the airport super early.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
One parking lot/shuttle is as good as the next. People have their preferences and frequent fliers get discounts but I haven't noticed enough difference to worry about it.

Where are you flying? If checking bags, they MUST be checked 30 minutes before departure for domestic, 60 minutes for international. No exceptions, zero tolerance. I had a friend miss a flight to Cozumel because she stepped up to the agent 59 minutes before the flight.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,689 times
^^And then I bet your friend's flight ended up being 30 minutes delayed?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:36 PM

13 posts, read 21,450 times
I do a LOT of flying. See my username...

I'd plan on showing up to airport property 1.5 hours prior. Things you can't control:

1) Traffic (even if it's early, you never know sometimes)
2) The bus from Eco-park to the airport
3) Check in line (if you're checking in bags). If you are checking in, check in online and go to the "bag drop" line. It's much shorter. Heck, check in online if you don't have checked bags so you can go straight to the security line.
4) Security line. I've been burned by this before - sometimes could be up to 15 min. I have better luck in the Terminal E line.

My motto when catching a flight - it's better to be early than late. If you get into the "secure area" early, you have time to grab something to eat and/or some coffee and you don't have to rush to the gate.

Have a good flight!!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Thanks for the info everyone!
I'm flying to Atlanta with Delta. Ironically my dad has made this flight many times and I've picked him up or dropped him off but it's been at low traffic times and I just don't know what it'll be like early Friday morning with the added issue of parking.
Unfortunately I have to keep costs as low as possible so a hotel that night just isn't feasible.
Right now I'm leaning towards eco-park for parking simply because I can reserve a spot online for $5 a day and I haven't found anything cheaper yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston