Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times

Advertisements

This change is disappointing. I'm a guy who likes rock music - all kinds. Classic rock, metal, alternative, '80s glam, and grunge. But the radio choices for rock here in Houston are just terrible. It seems like it's all pop and latino music. And country (which I detest). Thank God for Sirius XM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I love magic 102.
I like it once the Tom Jonier show is over lol, I really wish we had the Steve Harvey morning show instead.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Great. Now we'll have another station playing the same Drake song at the same time.

I guess you can't really get mad at one less rock station being on the airwaves, though. Some of the music is okay, but those damn morning shows...
Pretty much. That's why I really don't care that they're adding another station if they going to be playing the same songs as the other station, that's not competition. That's what happens when you have a few companies that own all the radio stations. That and payola errr "fan request".

Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
I love magic 102.
+1 I can actually remember when 102 used to play rap before they went all R&B.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
97.7 has now been removed from my car radio.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Welcome to "Small government World" where corporations like Clear Channel can buy as many stations as they want and then create a huge monopoly and leave everybody without any option.
The satellite radio monopoly (Sirius/XM) is another example.

Clear Channel, the Monopoly | Ethical Shopping

Prior to the Telecommunications Act of 1996, radio companies were limited to owning twenty AM and twenty FM stations. The Act only restricts the number of radio stations any one company can own in a local market (to eight), but does not limit the total number of stations one company can own. Since then, Clear Channel has grown to control approximately 1200 of the nation’s radio stations, 780,000 billboards and 35 TV stations (other major companies such as Viacom and Cumulus also own hundreds of radio stations). As the company grew, it was also involved in a series of lawsuits charging anti-trust violations and anticompetitive tactics. Among the complaints in the various cases: the company limited radio airplay of artists who did not use its concert and promotion services.
So, you prefer to have the government select the radio stations instead of the market.

I don't listen to music on the radio, I stream music when I listen. That being said, if nobody like what Clear Channel were playing, wouldn't they be out of business since nobody would be listening?

Music is like beer. Different people have different tastes. If I open up a cooler and there is Abita Amber and Bud Light, I'll be grabbing the Abita all day long because it tastes better TO ME. Other people would prefer the taste of Bud Light over that Abita Amber. It doesn't necessarily mean they have bad taste in beer, it just means that their taste is different than mine, and they enjoy the Bud Light more. You may hate hearing the latest American Idol song, but there are millions that love it and like hearing it every hour. That is what they like. It's not objective like math, it's subjective like food or beer. I hate mayonnaise, that doesn't mean my taste buds are "broken" or that the people who like it have "broken" taste buds, it's simply that they respond to it different that I do.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
97.7 has now been removed from my car radio.
What did 97.7 do?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you prefer to have the government select the radio stations instead of the market.
I prefer the government take us back when national radio monopolies was not allowed and there was real competition in radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I like it once the Tom Jonier show is over lol, I really wish we had the Steve Harvey morning show instead.
I can't believe that we live 3 hours from Dallas and we don't get the Steve Harvey show
When I lived in St. Louis I used to listen to it everyday

Steve Harvey Affiliates

Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
That is why majic needs some competition. It's good that there is an alternative to 97.9 because they had probably the worst playlist for a hip hop station in the country. Lake Charles has a better station. I think Rickey smiley is going to be on the beat, also from Dallas.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
I love magic 102.
Same here. That preset stays on my radio. But I'll say it again the new 93.7 is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston