Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 PM

101 posts, read 247,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I checked the weather underground, it's 75 degrees in Houston, and 84 in Miami - not 20 degrees difference, more like NINE DEGREES.
Today, Miami is high 86 and low 74. Link: http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Miami.html)

Today, Houston is high 68 and low 51. Link: http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Houston.html

On the high side, it's 18 degrees difference and on the low side, it's 23 degrees difference. Who's number is more accurate, your "NINE DEGREES" or my "20 degrees"?

Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
You've GOT to be joking. So you're saying that Houston has nice weather for nine months out of the year? Are you sure that you don't mean the reverse? It's HOT there from April until mid October. I'm not bashing the city, but the weather is in the same class as Miami or New Orleans, hot and humid.
Yes you ARE correct about this. We're lucky if we have nine DAYS of nice weather.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I'm looking at the temps right now hotcity.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cg...=houston%2C+tx

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cg...ry=Miami%2C+fl

But I'd like to apologize. I have no right to come in here and do what may appear to be bashing of your fine city. Houstin IS a fine city; the weather doesn't agree with ME, but who am I to be coming on to this forum and making such comments? On another note, Houston has GREAT people, beautiful trees, and obviously a pioneering attitude which has attracted 1.9 million people. I sincerely apologize if I've come across as a Houston basher. I am not. You and the other great residents of Houston have a fantastic day.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
I'm looking at the temps right now hotcity.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cg...=houston%2C+tx

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cg...ry=Miami%2C+fl

But I'd like to apologize. I have no right to come in here and do what may appear to be bashing of your fine city. Houstin IS a fine city; the weather doesn't agree with ME, but who am I to be coming on to this forum and making such comments? On another note, Houston has GREAT people, beautiful trees, and obviously a pioneering attitude which has attracted 1.9 million people. I sincerely apologize if I've come across as a Houston basher. I am not. You and the other great residents of Houston have a fantastic day.
No need to apologize, you have every right to express how you feel. Houston is a great city and has some fine things, the weather just isn't one of them.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Here in Dallas, it's a pleasant 59 and will get down to 38 tonight. That's what November weather should be like.
That does sound pleasant to me, but if I could choose, I wouldn't prefer that kind of weather before American Thanksgiving, as it sounds more like my idea of delightful winter weather.

Where I live we can and do get days with highs under 60 F any month of the year, though between mid June and Labour Day that might only happen 1 in 3 summers. I dislike summer days under 80 F.

BTW, About the humidity, how often do y'all get dew forming on the ground, car windows etc. We rarely get it here, maybe 1 in 10 days because of being in the city, all that pavement, houses etc. In nearby rural areas (like a half hour outside the city) see it probably more than half the nights.

When I was in Ft. Lauderdale, even though it was very urban, half of the nights I was there in January dew formed quite heavily on all the car windows within an hour after sunset. When I mean thick, I mean squeegeing it off the windows and having windows go completely cloudy within a minute unless you ran your car defrosters, heat or a/c.

Does this happen frequently in any parts of Houston?

It wasn't a lot warmer (mid-winter vacations) in South FL than my visits to Central FL, but the places like Orlando seem kinda dry while in Ft. Lauderdale it often felt like I was standing beside a bathtub, even with brilliant sunshine everyday, most days it was all day long. I did see a tiny bit of rain, but not much. It sprinkled once enough to barely wet the ground, then it dried up within 2 hours.

I hope I'm not annoying anyone too much...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-01-2006 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-01-2006, 03:48 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Thanks ILNC. You know, people are diverse, and what people prefer (as long as it's legal) is just fine. Hotcity is apparently a devoted resident of Houston, and well should be. I think the main thing about any city is the people, and Houston has some of the finest people that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and working with.

BTW, I've lived in North Carolina and it is absolutely beautiful. The Western part of the state is awesome.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
some people like elfyum like it hot! Houston is a fine alternative to south Florida. Much cheaper and yet that city has everything that Florida does. I however want cooler weather but thats me

Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM

101 posts, read 247,328 times
Quote:
But I'd like to apologize. I sincerely apologize if I've come across as a Houston basher.
First, apology accepted, second, I can't expect everyone to analyze situations thoroughly by more than just merely comparing the at the second temperature, which can be misleading of the overal temperatue, but instead comparing the highs and the lows of the day.

By the way, I am not residing in Houston.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
MOST of the year it is in the same class as Miami. Probably hotter than N.O. And btw, I checked the weather underground, it's 75 degrees in Houston, and 84 in Miami - not 20 degrees difference, more like NINE DEGREES. Like I said, Same class. Here in Dallas, it's a pleasant 59 and will get down to 38 tonight. That's what November weather should be like.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's because a front just blew through. They always hit Dallas a day or two before making it down to Houston. Tonight I think the low in Houston is supposed to be around 40.

That being said, I don't agree Houston's weather is the same class as N.O. or Miami. Both of those cities are tropical and have pretty much zero winter. Freezes never happen. In Houston, the winters are cooler and we get some freezes. But at least we usually escape the ice storms more inland TX cities can get.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Default Not as bad as people on here say it is

Speaking as a Colorado resident who has spent a great deal amount of time in Houston, i can confirm that Houston is unbearably "humid" hot from the early part of June through October. November and December is as pleasant as it can get in the day but the nights are pretty chilly. Some days in December can get so "bone" cold, you wish for the heat to return. Late part of January and all of February, it's wet and cold. March is rainy and pretty chili. April and May it starts to warm up and you start to feel the humidity factor coming back in the late part of May going in to June.

My point is, I'm from Colorado and we get below zero weather at times, So i know what cold is. I can confirm that Houston does get extremely cold at times and extremely hot in the summer. At least 7 or 8 months out of the year, the weather is pleasant, not too warm, not too cold with an occasional rainshower. I think alot of people on here are overexaggerating the amount of months its humid in Houston. I agree that the humidity is extremely uncomfortable but its only that way 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Alot of cities have their weather drawbacks. NYC, Chicago, Denver, Philladelphia which all get extremely cold in the winter and it lasts for a long time. I personally prefer heat over the cold. It's just i have eczema so my skin doesn't like the heat because it causes me to itch. But point is, no city is perfect. Take a trip down to Houston and see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: