Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM

501 posts, read 303,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It is but you do for your kids. Many who want their kids at a certain place are willing to drive because in the end the kid benefits right?
Maybe if you're starting from living out there. I can decide where I live since I am moving in. I am trying to find a balance between driving/house price/schooling - whether private or public - for the second kid.
Quote:
Check out HAR. Zillow is kind of bad. HAR can help you pinpoint exactly what you want.
I use several web sites. Do all the listings show up on all the sites? They seem to.
Quote:
You're still wanting a lot with very little compromise. What's the most important? Really. From what I'm seeing it's the commute and that's your biggest limitation.
I definitely don't want to spend 2+ hours a day in the car. Right now I spend about 20 minutes a week in the car. My wife spends maybe 1 hr/week. Switching to 2+ hours/day is going to be an enormous change. And I don't think my kid will react well to sitting in traffic for an hour or more every day. He hates traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
If I was you, I would try to find a home in Wilchester. It has excellent public schools in SBISD, and occasionally you can find a home under 700,000. It is close to the monarch school too.
You can definitely find something if you increase your budget. It will probably be under 3500 square feet though.

Houston does not have many homes in your price range, preferred location, and square footage. You will have to either pay more, choose a smaller house, have iffy public schools, or have a longer commute.

Figure out what your top requirements are and give up on the rest.

I just put in your requirements into HAR.com and if you choose Katy or cypress you will have everything but a short commute. I found 1 home in Jersey Village.

Good luck!

Last edited by Meyerland; 01-23-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Maybe if you're starting from living out there. I can decide where I live since I am moving in. I am trying to find a balance between driving/house price/schooling - whether private or public - for the second kid.
I use several web sites. Do all the listings show up on all the sites? They seem to.
I definitely don't want to spend 2+ hours a day in the car. Right now I spend about 20 minutes a week in the car. My wife spends maybe 1 hr/week. Switching to 2+ hours/day is going to be an enormous change. And I don't think my kid will react well to sitting in traffic for an hour or more every day. He hates traffic.
After reading through everything, it sounds like Lakes on Eldridge with a private school fits the best. Not far from Monarch at all, homes and community nice, newish, etc.

All other sites feed from HAR, except most don't update all that often, whereas HAR updates ever night from the MLS system. Might as well go to the best and avoid Zillow, etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
After reading through everything, it sounds like Lakes on Eldridge with a private school fits the best. Not far from Monarch at all, homes and community nice, newish, etc.
That's what is becoming clear to me as well. That, or hoping for something suitable showing up down there in or near Spring Branch...
Quote:
All other sites feed from HAR, except most don't update all that often, whereas HAR updates ever night from the MLS system. Might as well go to the best and avoid Zillow, etc.
thanks for the info.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:

You're use to public transit right? Or you just happen to live in a perfect area that fits you perfectly so you didn't have to compromise anywhere.

It's typical to see the glow of an iPad or Kindle or the DVD player going in Houston minivans and SUVs. The kids adjust and so do you.

Otherwise you're honestly going to hate Houston unless you increase your budget so you get your perfection or learn to adapt to the driving situation. Really. 20 minutes a week? At a min you'll spend 30mins a day in a car and that small amount to me seems like you guys will crack like a nut in 5 days. Even Loop dwellers get in the car daily for something.

People can't drive here. Rubbernecking is the norm and even a stalled car on a small street or that minivan going 10mph or texting because 80% of Houston drivers drive and text slows it down.

I kind of worry about Houston and you guys just for the sake or driving. Public transportation in Houston is an oxymoron.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Deja, think a minute.

From my own family experience, I can promise you that consigning a kid who is on the spectrum to being imprisoned in the back seat of a car 1-2 hours a day will not be helpful to anybody. Some kids need to be limited to 30 minutes a day screen time because it causes behavior changes.

IMO, get close to the school, plan on private for the younger kid and suck it up on not getting the house of your dreams. The house can come later.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
This is the example - Lakes on Eldridge. Nice homes, but the schools are: Kirk Elementary (rating: 4), Truitt Middle (rating: 5) and Cypress Ridge High (rating: 6). Do these bad ratings really reflect the quality (or lack of such) of the schools around there?

Kirk Elementary on Tanner Road? It received a 7/10 on Greatschools
Kirk Elementary School - Houston, Texas - TX - School overview

Really, I struggle with what all these ratings mean, too. They are based on standardized tests, and should only be used as one indicator of the quality of education at that particular school. It's best if you can visit the school yourself and talk with the principal/staff/teachers/other parents. If that's not doable, try talking to them via phone. I've had good, informative conversations with some local elementary schools this way.

My children attended an elementary school in FBISD that was rated highly one year but then dropped the next, then increased again - with no noticeable change in curricula, teachers or leadership. So what happened? Probably changes in demographics that resulted in lower test scores. Did this affect the quality of my own children's education? Not one bit. A child's educational experience can also vary with their particular teachers. A good teacher can offset a bad rating, and vice versa. But in the end, parents are their children's best advocate and educators.

My children are currently in an SBISD elementary (north of I-10, gasp!) ranked 7/10 FWIW, and I'm happy with their education. Regardless of rating, all elementary schools in SBISD are supposed to follow the same mandated curricula - no? So that aspect of your child's education should be constant, regardless of particular schools within an ISD.

Whatever gaps I perceive to be missing in their education, I supplement myself (for example, cooking together is a great way to teach math, chemistry and culture).

In the end, it boils down to what would best serve the educational needs of YOUR particular child and your criteria for what is important for their education. But do try touring the schools, or at least talking to the main players involved in any prospective school.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Otherwise you're honestly going to hate Houston unless you increase your budget so you get your perfection or learn to adapt to the driving situation. Really. 20 minutes a week?
I work at home. Have done that for the last 15 years. My kid's school is 1 mile away. So is a grocery store. My work "commute" is about 20 feet.

Last edited by Terr; 01-24-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
I work at home. Have done that for the last 15 years. My kid's school is 1 mile away. So is a grocery store. My work "commute" is about 20 feet.
Okay now I'm completely confused. You don't even have to drive to work, really at all but the idea of driving for your kid is depressing?

I could see if it was on top of a work commute too but now....no words I'm done.

I hope you compromise somewhere (because you are wanting a LOT with no leeway room for change) and find what works for you guys.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Okay now I'm completely confused. You don't even have to drive to work, really at all but the idea of driving for your kid is depressing?
The idea of spending 2+ hrs a day in a car is. It isn't for you? You're a special person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston