Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM

69 posts, read 127,933 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I moved to Katy from Westchase about a year ago, and I let go of my gym membership at Fitness Connection since there isn't one in the area. I'm having a hard time deciding on which gym to choose!
It seems like they both have comparative amenities and pricing.
I would appreciate any of your feedback on either gyms in general or in the Katy area. Are membership fees negotiable? What are the crowds like? Do they charge extra for bringing guests?

THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Depends on what your goals are. Just a regular workout or trainer sessions. I personally like lifestyle but either LA fitness or 24 hr is fine in Katy

Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM

552 posts, read 834,620 times
I'm in the same boat... the 24 hour in katy is ok for basic workouts. The machines tend to be broken a lot. I let my membership expire last September and been trying to decide between lifetime and 24 hour again. Lifetime seems a bit more expensive, granted i was using the costco deal at 24 hour.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM

69 posts, read 127,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
I'm in the same boat... the 24 hour in katy is ok for basic workouts. The machines tend to be broken a lot. I let my membership expire last September and been trying to decide between lifetime and 24 hour again. Lifetime seems a bit more expensive, granted i was using the costco deal at 24 hour.
ive visited lifetime and its just not in my budget and very family focused...which is great...but im single with no kids. lol
ive visited 2 of the katy 24Hr locations and i wasnt really impressed or disgusted....just meh...
im not sure what to do! =(

Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 AM

403 posts, read 681,361 times
Power rack and olympic weights off of Craigslist, Ebay, or Amazon. You'll save money over "membership" costs after a year, two years tops. A jump rope and some kettlebells make nice accessory equipment as well. Good thing about that is you are in the comfort of your own home and can workout at a time of your convenience.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 AM

24 posts, read 48,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Power rack and olympic weights off of Craigslist, Ebay, or Amazon. You'll save money over "membership" costs after a year, two years tops. A jump rope and some kettlebells make nice accessory equipment as well. Good thing about that is you are in the comfort of your own home and can workout at a time of your convenience.
The issue with the home gym solution is that not everybody has a room or space to dedicate to fitness equipment. It is cheaper in the long run, but it's not ideal for everyone's living situation.

To OP, your best bet is to see if they have trial memberships and go to both of your nearby locations at peak times, off peak times and see which you like.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Which ever is closest. I have been a member of both. LA Fitness is really nice. I find 24Hour fitness locations can vary greatly. The Midtown 24 hour fitness is great.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
I'm a member of the Bella Terra 24 Hr Fitness and my only complaint is that it is hot in the summer. Almost too hot to work out sometimes.

There are other options in Katy, Koko Fit and Cinco Fit come to mind, but Koko Fit is $80+ a month. Cinco Fit is $35/month. And there is always the YMCA.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM

366 posts, read 797,197 times
I'm a member of LA Fitness. Depending on the location, some are better than others. i.e., newer equipment, working equipment, cleanliness. Monday after work is usually the most crowded day. You can get a free day pass if you want to try it out, although their sales guy will hound you to sign up. They are pretty aggressive.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
I went to 24 Hour Fitness in Meyerland and Sugar Land for a short time and got frustrated with the machines being constantly broken. Apparently this is a common theme at all their locations. I discontinued my membership after three months. I got a membership at Fitness Connection for quite a while and they were great but their Spring location, where I live now, is too small so I work out at home with a used Craigslist treadmill, exercise bike, and fitness DVDs. I enjoy it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston