Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM

48 posts, read 89,026 times

Advertisements

What is the difference Today between Bellaire and Meyerland . By Meyerland I mean areas zoned to Bellaire HS and Johnston M/S . I have driven through both frankly I like Meyerland better due to the feel , trees, trail etc. Is Bellaire expensive due to its own municipality and being inside the loop ? Anything that I am missing . Please help . Could I go wrong with Meyerland ? Where will I get a more community feel to raise kids , soccer leagues etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
In Meyerland, part of it is zoned to Bellaire HS and Westbury HS. That's probably a big difference right there. Also, Meyerland has a Jewish Community Center and some synagogues in the area which has been a favorable Jewish community. But many Christians live there anyway as there are many Christian churches and private schools. We are Christians and we use the JCC for gymnastics because it's more convenient and they don't thump their Old Testament, anyway. It's a mix of both.

Meyerland residents qualifies to join the Westbury Little League, Westbury Soccer Club, Scouts, and just about any sport you can think of will probably within the area.

The only thing I wish we had was a larger HEB or Whole Foods store like they have in Bellaire. If I could afford it, I would prefer Bellaire because of the status and small town feel within a big city. Bellaire has been talking about rebuilding their town center for quite some time now. Not sure where they are at now.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Bellaire is nicer than Meyerland. It also has it's own police and fire dept. Though some parts of Bellaire are not as nice. Meyerland is fine. It is kind of the poor mans Bellaire. Then again Bellaire is the poor mans West U. It is all relative because Meyerland is not cheap. lol

Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
I think if the retail caught up in the Meyerland/Westbury areas, perceptions would shift. For now, though, I'm perfectly happy to have an inexpensive house in this area (Meyerland) and drive a few extra minutes to shop in pricier West U / Bellaire nabes. Let them pay for the real estate.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
Meyerland is a better buy it is $200k to $400k cheaper and lots are close to double the size. I live just west of Meyeland I love the area and the homes. In Meyerland you can get a nice 2200sft to 2700sqft 3 or 4 bed room totally remodeled on a 9000sqft to 11000sqft lot for $450k to $550k

Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetohouton View Post
What is the difference Today between Bellaire and Meyerland . By Meyerland I mean areas zoned to Bellaire HS and Johnston M/S . I have driven through both frankly I like Meyerland better due to the feel , trees, trail etc. Is Bellaire expensive due to its own municipality and being inside the loop ? Anything that I am missing . Please help . Could I go wrong with Meyerland ? Where will I get a more community feel to raise kids , soccer leagues etc
Yes.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Bellaire is nicer than Meyerland. It also has it's own police and fire dept. Though some parts of Bellaire are not as nice. Meyerland is fine. It is kind of the poor mans Bellaire. Then again Bellaire is the poor mans West U. It is all relative because Meyerland is not cheap. lol
Lol, I wouldn't go that far.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM

280 posts, read 383,560 times
Bellaire is inside and outside the loop. Better police protection and city services than Meyerland.......that's what you're paying for.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM

90 posts, read 173,735 times
The City of Bellaire and all of Meyerland "proper" are zoned to Bellaire High. (Meyerland "proper" being defined as the geographic area subject to the deed restrictions of the Meyerland Community Improvement Association and legally described as "Meyerland" in the Harris County land records).

Since the school zoning, the strictness of the deed restrictions, and the vigor of the HOA in enforcing the restrictions can translate into several $100k difference in property prices, the precise definition is not irrelevant.

None of Meyerland is inside the loop (though 610 forms one boundary of Meyerland). About half of Bellaire is technically "inside the loop". The rest of Bellaire - including the municipal government offices, Condit School, and Bellaire High is out there in the wilderness with all of Meyerland.

Comparison of lot sizes is a bit tricky. It's probably pretty accurate to say that many if not most lots in Meyerland are in the 8000 - 12000 sq ft range (with few slightly smaller) - BUT - there are a few Meyerland lots that go up to 18,000 - 19,000 sq ft, and a very few that even brush the half-acre mark. Some Bellaire neighborhoods (like Southdale) have 5000 - 6000 sq ft lots (obviously much smaller than the Meyerland average) - BUT many if not most areas in Bellaire tend to have large (like quarter acre or so) lots, and there more half-acre lots. Even a few one-acre (or more) lots in Bellaire (nonexistent in Meyerland).

Bellaire has it own municipal police force. Meyerland, being in the city of Houston, is in the jurisdiction of the Houston Police Department. Meyerland proper is also patrolled by a private constable service (armed) paid for by the HOA.

Bellaire residents can get Houston Public library cards for free. City of Houston residents (including Meyerland residents) can get Bellaire Library cards for free. There may be slight differences in the extent of borrowing prvileges/avaialble library services.

Besides the ones in people's backyards, the only swimming pool in Meyerland is at the JCC's Merfish teen center annex which is located in Meyerland proper (though the main JJC campus is not). In Bellaire, public pools include the Evergreen pool, open to everyone including COH/Meyerland residents for the same fees and the pools at the Bellaire aquatic center by the Bellaire City Hall, also open to non-Bellaire residents though the fee is higher.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:29 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imback View Post
Besides the ones in people's backyards, the only swimming pool in Meyerland is at the JCC's Merfish teen center annex which is located in Meyerland proper (though the main JJC campus is not). In Bellaire, public pools include the Evergreen pool, open to everyone including COH/Meyerland residents for the same fees and the pools at the Bellaire aquatic center by the Bellaire City Hall, also open to non-Bellaire residents though the fee is higher.
That's not true about your cringe worthy statement. I think you should expand your statement about swimming pools as I know there are at least three in Meyerland area. One is practically across the street from your "proper" area and a fabulous one on Rampart St. Likewise for Bellaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: