Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times

Advertisements

New Names for Reliant Stadium, Reliant Park — and the Astrodome? | Swamplot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
But why?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
NRG is the parent company. They bought reliant a while back.

On another note, I am kind of disappointed the O&G companies are not giving as much back to Houston. No museums, no center, no here take the money and build something nice....

Even all the corporate sponsors are not O&G, Toyota Center, Reliant....when the O&G industry is minting cash this last 10 years.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
On another note, I am kind of disappointed the O&G companies are not giving as much back to Houston. No museums, no center, no here take the money and build something nice....
You are sorely misinformed. Check out the sponsors/partners/donors of the Wiess Energy Hall in HMNS: Wiess Energy Hall - note the giving levels

Also, check out the corporate sponsors/partners/donors of the HMNS: Corporations and Foundations - again, look at what the O&G companies are donating as partners

2 Supermajors are corporate sponsors of Discovery Green: Sponsor an Event - Discovery Green, Houston, Texas

I'd call the museums and park funded by O&G companies "something nice."

Furthermore, the Supermajor oil companies sponsor stuff around Houston all the time... Shell Houston Open, BP MS150, Chevron Houston Marathon/Aramco Half Marathon. Citgo has a huge sign at Minute Maid Park.

O&G companies are not in the stadium sponsoring business for the most part. The only stadiums with O&G names I could find in the US are Lucas Oil Stadium (home of Indy Colts) and Chesapeake Energy Arena (home of OKC Thunder).

You see, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by 979Texan; 03-12-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Might have to increase rates to cover this branding improvement. Third signage change that I'm aware of.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Those are minor stuff compared to what some of the other companies have built in some cities.

With the amount of money made this last 10 years, they really should bring Houston up another notch. I mean even Big D had lot of big endowments if i recall correctly.

Look at Detroit when the automotive companies were printing money like O&G is now.

Hack look at Cleveland even with some of the corporate sponsors and what they have done trying to bring downtown back.

Look at NYC with the Skyline park...all built with corporate sponsors.

Exxon made what 30+ BILLION last year?

And you are bragging about sponsoring a little event?

Come on now....

Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
And you are bragging about sponsoring a little event?

Come on now....
No, I am pointing out that O&G companies are major patrons of the musuems, parks, venues and other cultural events in this city which you claim do not exist. These companies are also major contributors to our public univerisities.

Additionally I offered examples to show that in the US, venues are not commonly sponsored by O&G. You seem to have no concept of how O&G works other than being able to read a newspaper headline espousing a company's profits.

All I gather from your post is that you are butthurt because we don't have an Exxon Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good or a Shell Field Ballpark.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I wonder the intent of the post.

Like the infrastructure it produces, many o&g and energy charitable contributions are not flashy. Except for the football stadium.

Most if not all the arts and festivals are financed by energy. Think July 4th, Marathons, Art Fest, Hospitals, any number of local school projects as well. The folks in Spring think XOM is making a visible contributions.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I wonder the intent of the post.

Like the infrastructure it produces, many o&g and energy charitable contributions are not flashy
Exactly...

This post =

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston