Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:14 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
For one thing the only reason its coming into town from the northwest instead of from the north which would make a Hardy corridor route possible is because they decided to side step the route and include College Station as a stop. Forget College Station, bring it in along I-45 which was the original plan and voila you have a feasible route into downtown that avoids the more expensive Washington Corridor.

I bet they could save a few bucks by terminating the northern terminus short of DT Dallas as well, do you think they would consider that for even a millisecond? Heck no, and I say the same for Houston's terminus as well. Build the Aggie Highway beef up Hobby International and forget this HSR as far as I am concerned.
They were thinking about stopping in SE Dallas, but DFW interests raised a stink and now it will stop in downtown Dallas. They have had a site for months. And they are getting TXDOT to work on building from Downtown Dallas to Ft. Worth with a stop in Grapevine near DFW airport. That in itself is a benefit to DFW's airport vs. IAH. They will get people transferring from train as they do in Europe. That won't happen here as the line will be far from IAH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I understand this is a federal decision of not taking it into downtown,

But I can say it will seem that downtown Dallas will appear at being more successful in luring more projects like these to its core. Travelers will notice this and they won't care if it was a federal decision or not. They will probably more than likely blame Houston for not having it built in the same fashion, UNLESS it comes up with an alternative that's done right.
No, its the decision of the developers.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
If the feds stop it at NW Mall then the city will come under heavy pressure to connect it to downtown and to Galleria via LRT. Perhaps this is a power play by the feds to force the city to cover the costs within the city and be sure it serves the whole city not just downtown.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:54 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If the feds stop it at NW Mall then the city will come under heavy pressure to connect it to downtown and to Galleria via LRT. Perhaps this is a power play by the feds to force the city to cover the costs within the city and be sure it serves the whole city not just downtown.
I think more than likely it's a power play by the developers who don't want to bother extending the line into downtown because it won't make them that much more revenue. Like Jack said, they had the same incentives not to go into downtown Dallas, but felt compelled to remedy that issue when the city of Dallas urged them to do so. The simple fact of the matter is that these are two Dallas businessmens' interests serving this line, and is why the only other long term plans are to ultimately connect Dallas to Ft Worth and then down the I-35 corridor to Austin and San Antonio one day. I bet for a SA to Houston line another developer will have to come in more than likely as it wouldn't serve Texas Central Partners' interests.

The Feds certainly had a lot of their own material to review, but don't be think that TCP didn't paint a narrative of where these stations needed to go and they agreed according to TCP's data. When the Federal Rail Administration approved this plan, keep in mind that they were reviewing and looking at TCP's plans, not their own that they engineered from scratch. Was it possible to truly go downtown given TCP's current alignment plans, etc.? Probably not, but was there some way we could have gotten the train into downtown? Certainly, it's just being overlooked or ignored. That being said, I don't really mind having the station there. I think a lot of these business travelers will be heading west on I-10 to the energy corridor anyways. If we can slap some light rail that goes through the heights or down the washington ave. corridor, then that will be even more ideal than HSR to downtown because we'll be able to have more stops.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I think more than likely it's a power play by the developers who don't want to bother extending the line into downtown because it won't make them that much more revenue. Like Jack said, they had the same incentives not to go into downtown Dallas, but felt compelled to remedy that issue when the city of Dallas urged them to do so. The simple fact of the matter is that these are two Dallas businessmens' interests serving this line, and is why the only other long term plans are to ultimately connect Dallas to Ft Worth and then down the I-35 corridor to Austin and San Antonio one day. I bet for a SA to Houston line another developer will have to come in more than likely as it wouldn't serve Texas Central Partners' interests.

The Feds certainly had a lot of their own material to review, but don't be think that TCP didn't paint a narrative of where these stations needed to go and they agreed according to TCP's data. When the Federal Rail Administration approved this plan, keep in mind that they were reviewing and looking at TCP's plans, not their own that they engineered from scratch. Was it possible to truly go downtown given TCP's current alignment plans, etc.? Probably not, but was there some way we could have gotten the train into downtown? Certainly, it's just being overlooked or ignored. That being said, I don't really mind having the station there. I think a lot of these business travelers will be heading west on I-10 to the energy corridor anyways. If we can slap some light rail that goes through the heights or down the washington ave. corridor, then that will be even more ideal than HSR to downtown because we'll be able to have more stops.
This idea about the NW HSR station being a catalyst to build a new Light Rail line is nonsense , its like putting lipstick on a pig. I would rather they just slow the HSR line down at the NW junction and proceed Downtown via the regular rail line, which would have a speed limit of 60 mph as it sits now without any improvements, and hook up with light rail at a brand new, state of the art Rail station there. With a few improvements that speed could be increased to 80 mph without having to lay any new track, all that would be needed are some improvements to any at grade crossings there may be. At the most this would ad about 5 minutes onto the total time station to station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_s..._United_States

But as others have posted this is the same crap they pulled on Dallas and Dallas stood up for itself and demanded a downtown terminus and got their way. Is Houston going to stand up for itself or is it going to roll over and accept second best status in HSR?

Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Planned high-speed rail line won't come downtown

That kills any enthusiasm I had for the project...
Same here. Downtown is still the economic hub of Houston. Sure we have Greenway, Galleria, Energy Corridor, Woodlands, etc, but downtown still rules the roost. There are places to park, every freeway goes there, most events are held in downtown, or a rail ride away (NRG Park).

NW Mall area? Nada, zip, zero. I have no desire to go there to catch a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not sure what you mean by this (bold part)? Isn't this a privately funded venture? Feds have no involvement at all? Curious...

Old 11-16-2015, 04:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not sure what you mean by this (bold part)? Isn't this a privately funded venture? Feds have no involvement at all? Curious...
Not by the feds directly but perhaps due to lobbying by the developers. Privately funded? Ha. Show me one mass transit project in the U.S. that has been privately funded. It's not economically feasible and the developers know it. That's why they don't want to pay for this very expensive segment to downtown and may be hoping that if they bring it to the edge of the Loop, the city will have to ante up and take it the rest of the way home. Of course, the developers will want to operate and collect all the revenues.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Ouch. There is nothing around that place. When you have business travelers come in from the Metroplex, they will get to the terminus in Houston and do what? There's nothing around there. They have to catch a cab to Downtown or to Uptown? Wonder if this will help Houston get funds to build a light rail to stop. I really wish it went to Downtown Houston. Once it gets inside the loop, it will usually travel at slow speeds anyway. I do understand that they need land to acquire to build it to downtown though. Frustrating for Houston officials I bet.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:08 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Yes this is about whats best for Dallas they have proven this over and over. Eckels has always been a puppet , but even so I always said if this is built into downtown then fine I would support it.

I'm with you downtown, or forget it.
Quote:
Yea well I don't think Houston is a favorite of the Feds either. They interpret the facts to suit their wants like most. And I agree with your assessment of what people will think. This will be seen as another example of how messy and disorganized Houston is with little or no thought that Houston was trying to revitalize its core but the Feds and the imperial aspirations of the good people of Dallas took precedent.
Hopefully this misguided project can be scuttled. Houston should focus on consolidating economic activity in Texas like Chicagoland does in Illinois to make this project unnecessary. Why don't we engage in a Houston Enterprise Fund to attract companies away from Dallas, Austin, and maybe San Antonio and to seal the deal to choose Houston when companies come to Texas?

Old 11-17-2015, 04:58 PM
bu2

Quote:
This idea about the NW HSR station being a catalyst to build a new Light Rail line is nonsense , its like putting lipstick on a pig. I would rather they just slow the HSR line down at the NW junction and proceed Downtown via the regular rail line, which would have a speed limit of 60 mph as it sits now without any improvements, and hook up with light rail at a brand new, state of the art Rail station there. With a few improvements that speed could be increased to 80 mph without having to lay any new track, all that would be needed are some improvements to any at grade crossings there may be. At the most this would ad about 5 minutes onto the total time station to station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_s..._United_States

But as others have posted this is the same crap they pulled on Dallas and Dallas stood up for itself and demanded a downtown terminus and got their way. Is Houston going to stand up for itself or is it going to roll over and accept second best status in HSR?
They would need improvements, but they could do it at a slower speed. That makes sense.

The neighborhoods were complaining about the 2 rail routes, so the developer was talking about going down the I-10 ROW. Clearly that would be a lot more expensive and they are trying to get by with stopping at NW Mall. Maybe they want the state to pay for that stretch like the state will have to do for Dallas to Ft. Worth (which will be about 4 billion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston