Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 92,728 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about the admission process for private schools for kindergarten. We have a daughter who is very bright -- yes, I know I am biased -- and we are hoping that she can get into St. John's. I am aware of the basics of the admission process. I am looking for information to fill in the gaps. Other than the preference given to legacies for placement in the testing group, is the admission process truly merit based?

I hear a lot of garbage about this school or that school being one that parents buy their child's way into. I do not doubt that is partially true at many schools, and perhaps some more than others, but really, how much does money skew the process when St. John's seems to routinely turn out students well-equipped to get into Ivy League colleges?

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with the process? And specifically, has anyone here gotten their child into SJS's kindergarten program without alumni support or additional monetary support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Kindergarten is the last semi-easy admission year for SJ. Even then, a majority have made their way from Pooh Corner, the entry program.

Yes, legacies come first. Then they try to even out the ratio between boys and girls. I'm sure that people can make donations to encourage there way into SJ, but really its more politicing from birth for many of the top private in Houston.But that's the game in any big city in this country. I don't think monetary support is necessary, but it really doesn't hurt getting to know many within SJ, faculty included. And frankly, I think you'll have better luck with faculty than SJ families, they're a closed bunch for the most part. Plenty of students outside the bubble make it in on merit, but there are two worlds in there.

Keep in mind, that you need to start the process a year before the entry date. Most privates start the application process in October,close application in November, testing or interviews somewhere in the December time period, and then are either denied or taken somewhere around late Feb.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkraven View Post
My wife and I are thinking about the admission process for private schools for kindergarten. We have a daughter who is very bright -- yes, I know I am biased -- and we are hoping that she can get into St. John's. I am aware of the basics of the admission process. I am looking for information to fill in the gaps. Other than the preference given to legacies for placement in the testing group, is the admission process truly merit based?

I hear a lot of garbage about this school or that school being one that parents buy their child's way into. I do not doubt that is partially true at many schools, and perhaps some more than others, but really, how much does money skew the process when St. John's seems to routinely turn out students well-equipped to get into Ivy League colleges?

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with the process? And specifically, has anyone here gotten their child into SJS's kindergarten program without alumni support or additional monetary support?
St. Johns is a little different. If your child tests in and you can't afford it, you will be granted need-based relief so that you child DOES attend.

It's merit based.

EDIT: At least in a relative sense if not the purest, purest actual sense...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
... but it really doesn't hurt getting to know many within SJ, faculty included. ...
Thanks for the valuable input. I'm curious as to the avenues one could take to get to know faculty and staff at a private school.

I'm not a fan of gaining an unfair advantage over others, even if it is my three-year-old's education we're talking about, but I do want to do what is helpful, or even expected.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
If the child is only three, you could try to get them in The House at Pooh Corner. They have Pre-K I and Pre-K II. SJ likes that program and looks at those children first.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
If the child is only three, you could try to get them in The House at Pooh Corner. They have Pre-K I and Pre-K II.
Do you think it deserves its reputation as a feeder program? Meaning, do you think that among completely equally qualified children, SJS prefers Pooh alumni? My girl is in a pre-K school right now that fits her very well -- and has been for almost three years.

I may be really off base here, but I always assumed THAPC was just a very non-diverse and tony pre-school, and that it wasn't a place to send a pre-K kid if your primary goal was development.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
St. Johns is a little different. If your child tests in and you can't afford it, you will be granted need-based relief so that you child DOES attend.

It's merit based.

EDIT: At least in a relative sense if not the purest, purest actual sense...
Thanks, Jimbo. That's what I'm hoping. I am not interested in sending her to a school that is primarily NOT merit based.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 61,655 times
Did you ever get an answer to your query? If it's not too late, I'll tell you that SJS is the only private school I know of, in the so-called "elite" category in Houston, where they really do just look at the kids when they make their decisions. If you are a legacy, your child gets looked at first if they meet certain academic standards - after that, they take kids from different places. The House at Pooh Corner is filled with many legacies anyway, so I'm not sure what the advantage would be as a non-legacy. If you get your non-legacy child on the list early enough to get him or her tested, he or she will have the same chance as every other child. They don't want your letters from friends or your big donor money. Knowing a faculty member won't help you. A good test score, a bright child who loves to learn, and a stellar teacher rec from whatever preschool is what they want, IME. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 21,679 times
Hi,

Me and my husband were thinking of sending my 19 month old to The Houseat Pooh corner in Houston, can some one help me with their admission process? Because, we have been trying to the number that is published on pk.greatschools.org , but there is never a response from their side.

Your help will be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks much.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM

292 posts, read 547,904 times
I am curious, if you are not getting a response from them, then why do you so badly want to send your kid there?
I would not want to send my kid to any place that does not promptly respond to a query.
I wonder how much emphasis they put on the kids if they show such reaction, especially in an emergency scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston