Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,962 times

Advertisements

FBCAD has been updated with 2014 numbers. We purchased a home in 2013 and the tax increase is 15% from what we thought to be a high purchase price.

Can we start a thread on how to go through the appeal process? If there is already an old thread feel free to include it on here. My taxes are $2,500 higher than I expected them to be!!

Edit: Just noticed...they have my sq footage incorrectly listed. How can I go and fix this? (They overestimated by almost 1,000 sq ft!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,895 times
I will be calling on Monday to discuss mine for sure. They're crazy.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
We purchased a brand new home last year in March. Is that why ours looks so wacky? It is appraised for almost $200 k more this year.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 AM

467 posts, read 1,186,364 times
I just checked my appraisal online, and there's a 10% increase, 30k. I never seen this before. In the past, it's only a 1k or 2k, but 30k?! This is crazy!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM

675 posts, read 1,453,962 times
I would advise everyone to check the sq footage that the district has on you. Mine was terribly off. I am in a subdivision where there are other houses exactly like mine...so I am looking up what values they were appraised at and trying to come up with a value that is like the rest.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 AM

392 posts, read 755,394 times
We have a 50k increase, still less than the what we paid last year. Can we appeal?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM

152 posts, read 458,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
I would advise everyone to check the sq footage that the district has on you. Mine was terribly off. I am in a subdivision where there are other houses exactly like mine...so I am looking up what values they were appraised at and trying to come up with a value that is like the rest.
Yes, definitely review your information carefully. Ours is tied to the wrong house number!! It has the owner address listed as our correct address, but the property address lists a home on the same street with a different number.

So now I don't even know if the appraisal amount is correct because it may be for a different house altogether.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
Yes, check the square footage!!! Mine was about 280 sqft higher, and when I looked at the floorplan they had on file, it included an extension on the second story that did not exist. That lead to an error in the calculation and an overvaluation of my house. It happened to my SIL also on her house. We both got it changed back to what the builder plan said. Mine was a few years after the builder left, (the value had finally gone over what I paid for it) so I had to find several homes with the same floorplan, look at their floorplan on record at the appraisal district, take pictues to show the homes were the same floorplan, and they promptly dropped the sqft down and recalculated the value at the informal hearing. Of course I picked the 4 homes that had the lowest appraisal values as comps! It was easy because I had plenty of documentation. If you have a copy of the builder floorplans or even the mini floorplans they include with their sales packages that will help. There is probably an option to build out part of your house for more sqft, and they probably assumed you had that option. That is what happend to my SIL. It was floored attic storage area, but it could be configured as a 4th bedroom and bath if selected.

Good luck on it!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:52 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
We purchased a brand new home last year in March. Is that why ours looks so wacky? It is appraised for almost $200 k more this year.
Was the prior year appraisal close to what you paid? Our first year appraisal was only $140k on a $202k house since it was not completed when they did the first year appraisal. The next year it was raised to $170 which was the price of the base house with no options. Often the first year they have to catch up on it. If the value was close to what you paid, that is certainly a good reason to protest. What are the same homes selling for now, if they are still building? Certainly check the values in your neighborhood and see if they are comparable to yours based on sqft and same number of stories. Generally 1 story homes have a higher value per sqft, and larger homes have a lower value per sqft, so you have to compare a similiar sized home (within 10% or so sqft) with the same number of stories.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 PM

44 posts, read 218,805 times
Just got my appraisal and mine increased by $113k from last year! My house was fully completed last year, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: