Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM

675 posts, read 1,453,756 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago I saw a report on how overcrowded Woodcreek Junior High is and how builders will keep adding students.

Katy ISD Battles Real Estate Explosion - Hopes Voters Will Approve November Bond

WCJH has 17 portable buildings, at a cost of $92,000 per building. This past weekend I got to thinking and I wondered how you all would feel about moving some of the 8th graders, who are already zoned to Tompkins, into Tompkins next year? (So, it would be the current 7th graders). Tompkins currently only has 2 grades (9, 10), so that school is half empty. Next year they will only have 3 grades (9, 10, and 11). I remember back in 1999-2000 that Cinco Ranch high took some students from a local junior high to help with the overcrowding. WCJH is expected to add another 500 students within the next 2 years...

So we wasted $1.564MM when a school 2-3 miles down the road is sitting half-empty.

For people affected by this (like I am), what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I doubt it will happen. At least you are not having kids shuttled to less "prestigious" schools in Katy. They do that in other districts.

Katy teachers and staff are used to dealing with overcrowding and handle it pretty well. Many campuses across Houston are bursting at the seams.

I actually prefer teaching in portable buildings. You are a bit isolated and it makes your class more tight knit.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
WCJH has been overcrowded for years. The elementary schools are not even able to keep up with the growth so it's not surprising that the JHs are not able to. All the portable buidlings are an eyesore but it could be worst (like Meyerland stated kids being bus to further less "prestigious" schools). The administrations at these schools do run a tight ship and I've been impressed with how well it flows. The classrooms itself are not too overcrowded, IMO. The growth in the area has just been crazy, but it's not the builders adding students, it's the families all moving to the area. But that just means more tax revenue for the district, which means they can build more schools. Of course, the district will always be behind on the building.

I thought I read somewhere a new junior high is being built near Hawk's Landing/PMR area? Either way, whether the bond passes or not, they will build another junior high.

Last edited by Kiovo; 05-12-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,756 times
The junior high land is in the Hawks Landing community right next to Silver Ranch. Intersection of Spring Green and Hawks Prairie Blvd.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
It's the cycle of school districts in high growth cities. Decades later you can go to most school districts and see when their big booms came. Alief was growing so fast they used the same already paid for blueprints for many of its schools. There is the 70's blueprint schools (from when it was nice swanky suburbia), the 80's blueprint schools (when the apartments went south and filled in with large families) and then 90's blueprint schools (the six intermediates and a few elementary schools when the cheap apartments kept going up).

Now it's Katy's turn and they're going to deal with these growing pains in the outer areas until the areas get built out and Katy passes more bonds to catch up in building. Then, once it's all built out, the growth dragon will move on to Royal ISD and SealyISD.

The school board will review zones likely over the summer. It would help if you show up and bring your ideas and bring a ton of parents who think like you do. Some of those board members are parents as well or they have grandkids in the schools and they will understand your concerns. Show up!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
I think the bond will pass, The new school couldn't come soon enough.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 AM

104 posts, read 177,033 times
They will probably include the gold plated football stadium again along with the new schools in the bond. Basically telling us that we can't get one without the other.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM

63 posts, read 133,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
WCJH has been overcrowded for years. The elementary schools are not even able to keep up with the growth so it's not surprising that the JHs are not able to. All the portable buidlings are an eyesore but it could be worst (like Meyerland stated kids being bus to further less "prestigious" schools). The administrations at these schools do run a tight ship and I've been impressed with how well it flows. The classrooms itself are not too overcrowded, IMO. The growth in the area has just been crazy, but it's not the builders adding students, it's the families all moving to the area. But that just means more tax revenue for the district, which means they can build more schools. Of course, the district will always be behind on the building.

I thought I read somewhere a new junior high is being built near Hawk's Landing/PMR area? Either way, whether the bond passes or not, they will build another junior high.
The bond has to pass in order to build the Jr High. It's slated to be built there but if we don't pass the bond it won't. Don't believe any rumors you here. Go to the Katy ISD Bond info page and read facts. Also if you have time attend a bond meeting.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
FYI Next bond meeting will be held on 5/15/24 6:00pm @ ESC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: