Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times

Advertisements

Go to Solutions on Beechnut and Chimney Rock. They'll sell you the right stuff and you can take do it yourself in about 15 minutes. I use Cyzmic CS and have no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's disgusting. I would have been traumatized by that. I need a Xanax just reading this.
I have a severe roach phobia. I can't even touch a picture of one. They disgust me. My sisters are the same way, and it's because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Haha, well I live in a 1950s home with a huge tree in my backyard and many trees in our neighborhood. Yet, I almost never see any roaches in and around my house. When I do, it's because I've waited too long for the next self-extermination. Having it exterminated at least once a year will keep the problems back. Most say do it 4x a year but I think they are just trying to make money.
My father refused to exterminate.

I don't know what his problem was. He was a highly educated man. Just tight, I guess.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:05 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times
This is what I buy. It's a DIY indoor & outdoor pest control that works quite well: Cy-Kick CS, CyKick CS, Cyfluthrin Insecticide - Free Shipping. My main problem was spiders and those big roaches come in the house occasionally. This took care of them. For the first application, I mixed 2 oz. per 1-gallon. Followed applications only need 1 oz./gal.. I actually saw 1 huge spider crossed over the application area and seconds later, rolled over and died.

Local Solutions Stores carry it too but it costs a little more: Cykick CS Insecticide with Cyfluthrin

Considering one 16-oz. bottle gives you 6 to 16 applications, it's really affordable and doesn't take but a few minutes to spray around the house. Long ago, I called a pest control service and paid attention to where he sprayed. I did the same with the DIY solution.

Last edited by NTT; 05-27-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,886 times
Just buy a can of Bengal roach spray and spray around your floorboards. It costs about $8.00/can, but worth it.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Just buy a can of Bengal roach spray and spray around your floorboards. It costs about $8.00/can, but worth it.
^^^ This stuff works great! I brought a rental property in Montrose, an old home with lots of trees around. My wife and I freaked out at first to see so many huge roaches in between the walls when we did repair/remodel work. I purchased a couple of cans of that stuff, and after a couple of weeks, they all died and disappeared. I have not seen them in over 1.5 years. I spray about every six months, never see them.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 AM

264 posts, read 441,924 times
Great timing OP on this post. HoustonBornNRaised, I also just had one land by me this week while sitting on the sofa watching TV. I thought it was a moth. My DH says "don't move". I ask if it's a moth. He says it's a roach. Is he kidding? Don't move? Rest assured, I moved. I also need a new solution. Bike4Life, I agree 100% that you don't need to spray quarterly, and that's the rub for most of the exterminating companies. They are relentless with calling to schedule and I CAN'T STAND IT. I find treating every 9 months works well.

In which case I may have to do the do-it-yourself route:

For the do-it-yourselfers, do you treat both inside and out? I really don't like the idea of spraying along the floors inside the walls. I used ABC at one time who treated inside the walls through the attic and also outside, but they became a huge PITA to deal with and arrogant as all get out.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times
Thanks for this post! I'm going to try the suggestions here. I also live in an older home. Mine has a large oak tree in the backyard. I've also read a good idea is to get some caulk & seal any gaps you might have inside your kitchen cabinets & stuff to keep the buggers out in the first place. I'm still not sure which pesticide to get. I'm reluctant to get something to spray along the baseboards since I have a 5 month old & a small dog. I know she'll be crawling in a few months (the baby, not the dog :P) so I don't want her that close to the stuff.

I also have some outdoor spray treatment I've been meaning to use around the perimeter of the house. I bought it from Lowe's a while back. Would it be a good idea to spray that if we've had an exterminator come within the past month? Or would mixing different pesticides weaken them & allow the roaches to develop an immunity or resistance?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,017 times
Default Do it yourself?

Depending on your situation, go to Solutions - several in Houston - and get Demon or similar. It has been what professionals use and I have used it for 15 years. Put in a 1 gallon tank sprayer and do all outside foundation 1-2 feet up and then 1 foot out on ground. Do around all dryer vent areas, water spigots, etc. Do garage, doorway/threshold areas, etc. You may want to do inside also under sink, and certain areas. OK for pets when dry. I try to do outside and thresholds only, but you may want to do everything if bad.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
How about Raid? Is Bengal more effective than Raid?

Old 05-30-2014, 03:19 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Great timing OP on this post. HoustonBornNRaised, I also just had one land by me this week while sitting on the sofa watching TV. I thought it was a moth. My DH says "don't move". I ask if it's a moth. He says it's a roach. Is he kidding? Don't move? Rest assured, I moved.
Ack. I would still have the heebie-jeebies.

We built a house in '11, and have never had the inside treated. We only have the outside treated, for the same reasons that OP mentioned - my pets, and my nine month old grandson. So far, so good, but we also have very immature trees here, so I'm sure over time that'll change.

I found a crapload of egg casings in our courtyard about a month ago. They look just like wood roach egg casings. I was thisclose to calling the exterminator out, when I realized that I was seeing June Bug egg casings (the roach's ugly cousin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: