Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM

29 posts, read 44,451 times

Advertisements

A couple days ago I got a speeding ticket on the 59N, I was going about 68 all of a sudden I see this Dodge Charger or Challenger that was driving very very fast and our cars are the same color when I see the police on the side of the road I lower my speed to 65 and the Dodge also lowered his speed but it was not 65 he was still going pretty fast, but then the Dodge gets in front of me and we pass the police and a couple seconds later I see the Police car behind me and the Dodge nowhere insight....
I didn't want to argue with the office because we were on the side of the road and it's very dangerous for them people run into them and you just never know, so then he tells me that I was going 79 in a 65 and when he gave me the ticket it said I was going 78 in a 60.... So I went back the nxt day and it is a 65 zone.
I was not speeding my plates were still from California at the time, but I got them switched this Friday.

What can I do I have a clean clean driving record, and I don't want this to ruin it as I was not speeding..... I am sure the Police Officer got confused. There were lots of cars on the road and we were all driving at abou the same speed except the Dodge he as weaving and speeding.

He even said you can claim defensive driving when you go to court, I don't even know what that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Ok so in Houston. Was it HPD? If so, wait a few days and then call to change your court date. Officers write the date that they are next available for court on your ticket (though they rarely show up). Changing the date will likely change to a date he/she is not available for court. Show up and plead not guilty and there will likely not be the officer there to argue with you.

If that doesn't work (which it should), do the defensive driving. The online one isn't too bad.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:02 AM

Thank you and yes it was HPD. I was my first time and I was a deer in headlights lol

Thank you, thank you for the advice.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,520 times
When I got my ticket this was the procedure.

Wait 10 days from issue of ticket and call the number on the back. Ask if you can take the defensive driving course. I had to go along to our city hall with my drivers licence and proof of insurance and a copy of my drivers record and pay the fine. They gave me a letter with confirmation that I could complete the course within x months. You can do it online for about $40. You then take the course completion certificate back to them and it does not go on your driving record.

I didn't have to go to court to request it.

How Do I Request Defensive Driving?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Hire a lawyer. I would suggest David S. Sprecher and Associates P.C., Attorneys I am not sure if there is a ton you can do. I had a cop lie once and it is really his word against yours. Actually, I have had cops lie more than once. You can also go the drivers safety method or ask for deferred adjudication. Some cops are honest and some are not.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I don't think you can do defensive driving if you go to court. It's one or the other. You might be able to get deferred adjudication where the judge defers judgment. If you don't speed and get a ticket for a year or whatever time line the judge sets, it's taken off your record and you don't have to pay.

I would do defensive driving online and send in the proof, as I hate going to the courthouse.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I don't think you can do defensive driving if you go to court. It's one or the other. You might be able to get deferred adjudication where the judge defers judgment. If you don't speed and get a ticket for a year or whatever time line the judge sets, it's taken off your record and you don't have to pay.

I would do defensive driving online and send in the proof, as I hate going to the courthouse.
Yep, I was a mess thinking I'd have to go to court. Going the defensive driving route was straightforward DIY and no money going into a lawyers pocket. Of course if you want to fight it.....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

The one speeding ticket I got, I went to court and the judge granted my request for defensive driving. I did have to pay court costs, but she cut it in half because she was having a great day and said I was very polite.

Had I known the trick about rescheduling and pleading not guilty (Channel 13 had a story on this a few years back), I would have gone that route.

The only requirement for going the defensive driving route is that you have a clean record and haven't done it within the last year. Getting a copy of your California driving record (the OP says she's from California) to bring to court will show the judge you're a rule follower assuming that record is clean.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Oh man so it's either move my court date and hope the a Police a officer doesn't show, do the online Defensive Driving class, Drivers Safety or deferred adjudication (which I don't know what that is lol)
Decisions.... Decisions....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 AM

Yes my record is CLEAN I have never gotten stopped ever. In California I belonged to a community group that worked with our local police officers so I have the upmost respect for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston