Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So yesterday I was on i87 going through the town of Ulster when I was pulled over.
He said he clocked me at 80 on a 65 zone but I knew that was impossible because I had 4 other passengers and my car can't handle that kind of speed, and it was my first time driving up to New York. Anyways, the officer is a town police and the ticket says town of ulster on it instead of TVB. I have an NJ drivers license and my record has been clean since I got my driver'a permit. (I'm 22, so 6 years clean. No criminal charges either).

Because my winter break is almost over and need to go to go back to my school in DC, I certainly won't be able to fight it in court. I explained my situation to the clerk over the phone but all she told me was to mail the ticket in with my plead. I told her multiple times I won't be able to make it due to my college situation but all I got was the same response.

I was hoping if any of you could tell me what my options are, how much the fine and points would be, and if there are any ways I can get my ticket reduced to no points or less. As first generation immigrants, my parents work 2-3 jobs and I can't have them pay for my higher insurance premium because of this ticket. I would rather take the hit and pay a hefty fine myself.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Asking on a NJ board is a waste of time. Post it on the NY section.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
In my book NY has absolutely no business writing us any tickets, but that's in my book. I think in NY you might have to mail in a response one way or the other. You could try writing them a letter that you will be out of state until whenever and see what they say. I think the most it would be is two points if you pay it. Not familiar enough with NY luckily to know if they offer any deals.

Last edited by captne76; 01-09-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjungj21o View Post
I was on i87 ... clocked me at 80 on a 65
Did the officer at least say, "87 is the highway number, not the speed limit!"?
What kind of car were you driving, that you claim can't go that fast, when full?
I also find it hard to believe that you were only going +15. In NY, it seems that everybody is doing at least 20 above. Did the officer reduce the speed to cut you a break?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
In my book NY has absolutely no business writing us any tickets
Does your book also say that NJ has no business writing NY drivers any tickets?

Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
it is pretty much universal anywhere in the world. You get a ticket you pay a fine or fight it in court and pay the court costs when you lose.

You might win, but it will be unlikely unless you can sucessfully contest the radar, the policeman honesty or provide documented proof from a certified testing laboratory that your car was physically incapable of traveling at that speed on that specific date and time.

Everywhere I am aware of will allow you to send your payment in, but will require your @ss in a seat in the courtroom to fight the charges. At least under our legal system you have the opportunity to contest the charges, regardless of your odds of winning. Not everyone has the option.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM

He was the most unfriendliest officer I ever ran into! Well, considering I never met an officer in a situation like this. He asked for my stuff, went back to his car, gave me a ticket and told me to have a great day. He probably pulled me over for having a "suspicious looking vehicle". My car really can't go over 75 with 5 people in the car in sub-zero weather unless I wanted to kill the engine and the rest of us inside as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Did the officer at least say, "87 is the highway number, not the speed limit!"?
What kind of car were you driving, that you claim can't go that fast, when full?
I also find it hard to believe that you were only going +15. In NY, it seems that everybody is doing at least 20 above. Did the officer reduce the speed to cut you a break?

My car is an 04 Camry with 200k miles on it. My mom hit a deer and a tree fell on it not too long ago so the radiator/engines been having problems ever since, even with the fix. I like to keep the speed limit because I have a cousin who lost control of his car going 80+ and nearly killed himself and I wouldn't ever want to end up like that so... Not that this would matter in court.

So the only option is to make the travel up to ny from dc if I wanted to fight it?

Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
It's not going to have a big impact on your license. Regardless of what you were doing whether it was reckless driving or 1mph over the limit, ALL out of state moving violations only count for 2 points on your NJ license.

And in my one-time experience with a NY state ticket, I paid it and they appear to have never reported it to NJ, as I never got any points nor did my insurance go up.

If you can't afford a lawyer to fight it for you, you're pretty much out of luck there. If you ARE going to plead guilty, pay up on time.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
In my book no one has any business writing any tickets, but if you are from out of state that makes you a likely scapegoat and you get less of a break than a local.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM

So I should just plead guilty and pay the fines? Would mailing a letter to the prosecutor with the guilty plead help at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: