Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You forgot the #1 appreciation area, Riverstone (the new section).
I'm not referring to builder induced appreciation on new builds. That has a different set of factors influencing it altogether, and not really reflective of true value. If there is a resale amongst the new builds there, the seller will soon realize that people will pay the premiums to the builder, but not to an owner of a house amidst those new builds.

Indeed, I know of some resales in the SL portion of Riverstone that have been languishing on the market for awhile now.

I was referring only to established communities in my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I'm not referring to builder induced appreciation on new builds. That has a different set of factors influencing it altogether, and not really reflective of true value. If there is a resale amongst the new builds there, the seller will soon realize that people will pay the premiums to the builder, but not to an owner of a house amidst those new builds.

Indeed, I know of some resales in the SL portion of Riverstone that have been languishing on the market for awhile now.

I was referring only to established communities in my previous post.
But the Riverstone prices is a direct correlation to the appreciation in Sugar Land. The price increase for new houses from 2-3 years ago is beyond any appreciation in First Colony and is what buyers look at when they are buying in Sugar Land. If the appreciation was not so much in Riverstone, the rest of SL might not have such a significant increase.

I saw some of the newer used houses languishing also. But I heard they are still selling well for new houses.

Last edited by ipuck; 01-05-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 04:56 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
I never really considered Riverstone as Sugarland

Old 01-06-2015, 01:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I never really considered Riverstone as Sugarland
Probably because only some of the newer sections are; the rest is MoCity.

I have a friend in there who I think may have a Sugar Land postal address, but the manhole covers say MoCity... which I take to mean only MoCity can annex them.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Probably because only some of the newer sections are; the rest is MoCity.

I have a friend in there who I think may have a Sugar Land postal address, but the manhole covers say MoCity... which I take to mean only MoCity can annex them.
From my understanding zero part of Riverstone is actually Sugar Land. The zip code only serve as a postal address and nothing else. Riverstone is currently a part of ETJ between Sugar Land and Missouri City.

Some one wrote a nice fact on this subject a while back. Basically the original plan was for Missouri City to annex them after x number of years (Mud paid off) when they first decide to build this. Missouri City will provide police/fire and charge them for it.

I assume now that the price has skyrocket and the high tax base, Sugar Land will probably want to take them over instead of Missouri City when the MUD is paid off.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 PM

It will stay with MoCity

Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
I assume now that the price has skyrocket and the high tax base, Sugar Land will probably want to take them over instead of Missouri City when the MUD is paid off.
That would mean MoCity would have to agree to an ETJ swap, which I doubt they would do if it means they'd lose a high tax base.

When the annexation by MoCity happens to Riverstone, I'm unsure if those will remain Sugar Land postal addresses/zip 77479, or if it will change. Our area has Richmond postal addresses but the city of Sugar Land has expressed on and off interest in acquiring the ETJ (as they did for New Territory many years back)... if they ever were to, I'm unclear what would happen with postal addresses here as well.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That would mean MoCity would have to agree to an ETJ swap, which I doubt they would do if it means they'd lose a high tax base.

When the annexation by MoCity happens to Riverstone, I'm unsure if those will remain Sugar Land postal addresses/zip 77479, or if it will change. Our area has Richmond postal addresses but the city of Sugar Land has expressed on and off interest in acquiring the ETJ (as they did for New Territory many years back)... if they ever were to, I'm unclear what would happen with postal addresses here as well.
The zip code is assigned by USPS and does not have anything to do with the annex.

BTW, you would never know with the Johnson Development guys. Plus all the residents in Riverstone just assume they are Sugar Land residents anyway.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The zip code is assigned by USPS and does not have anything to do with the annex.

BTW, you would never know with the Johnson Development guys. Plus all the residents in Riverstone just assume they are Sugar Land residents anyway.
That's what they would like all of the residents and potential buyers to think lol

Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That's what they would like all of the residents and potential buyers to think lol
Funny, I really don't know anything about the area out that way, but I see Riverstone and Cross Creek Ranch as two places that would be first on the list for depreciation if the sky does fall. They remind me of the book Texasville. You already see lots of reduced pricing in those MPC's on Har. Looking at the homes, location and their sizes, they seem very inflated. All the value is in the house.

First Colony should be fine, unless we hit a 1980's type situation. In which case, even River Oaks will go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston