Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times

Advertisements

If you go to downtown, did you check out Clear Lake and surrounding areas?
The commute would be a much easier for you.
Then you can drive down to Kemah for fun during evenings or weekends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
You will require flood and wind insurance separate from your homeowners. Doesn't mean you will flood or that the wind will take your roof but it is required in coastal counties and areas of Harris county that are by coastal counties (Galveston county).

Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Not to mention, it is a "mandatory evacuation" area when a hurricane hit. Yes, you would need to lock up and abandon your home. Of course, no one can force you to leave but you're left without help if and when you need it. An evacuation plan is almost a must if you decide to live there.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM

Don't let all the flood insurance/wind insurance or possible evacuation deter you from the area. I've lived on this side of town most of my life and evacuated one time in my lifetime. Could happen more frequent or could be years and years before it happens again.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM

20 posts, read 32,098 times
Default insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You will require flood and wind insurance separate from your homeowners. Doesn't mean you will flood or that the wind will take your roof but it is required in coastal counties and areas of Harris county that are by coastal counties (Galveston county).
I appreciate the info. Would you be willing to give me a ballpark estimate of how much flood and wind insurance is typically? I know I will have to find this out for myself later, but hey, I joined this site to get information from people like you!

Thanks a bunch

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

20 posts, read 32,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
If you go to downtown, did you check out Clear Lake and surrounding areas?
The commute would be a much easier for you.
Then you can drive down to Kemah for fun during evenings or weekends
Yes I did, but it has been difficult to find a place in my price range in a safe area. Again, the safety is so that I can have peace of mind that my wife will be just fine. But if you know of any properties in good area PLEASE feel free to let me know. It's helpful to get info and help from people that are familiar with the Houston and surrounding areas.

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM

If you live within 1 mile of the water - creek, lake, etc it is more difficult to find an insurer and expect cost to be higher. If you find an address you like enter it into floodsmart.gov. Low risk means the cheapest flood insurance. If you are in zone x, flood insurance is not required but is a good idea to get it. That runs about 350-400 annually. Other zones where it is required can run anywhere from 500-1500 annually. Not sure why the high varience. Wind can be combined with your homeowners in some cases but in Galveston county you have homeowners plus twia (texas windstorm insurers association). The combo of the two runs 2000-3200 annually, that's the rate for about a 2300 sq ft home. . Depends on the value and age of your home.

Last edited by texas7; 06-26-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
If you live within 1 mile of the water - creek, lake, etc it is more difficult to find an insurer and expect cost to be higher. If you find an address you like enter it into floodsmart.gov. Low risk means the cheapest flood insurance. If you are in zone x, flood insurance is not required but is a good idea to get it. That runs about 350-400 annually. Other zones where it is required can run anywhere from 500-1500 annually. Not sure why the high varience. Wind can be combined with your homeowners in some cases but in Galveston county you have homeowners plus twia (texas windstorm insurers association). The combo of the two runs 2000-3200 annually, that's the rate for about a 2300 sq ft home. . Depends on the value and age of your home.
Elevation can make a huge difference. We live on the water, but our elevation means we don't require or need flood insurance.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM

May not be required but always a good thing to buy flood insurance anywhere in the greater Houston area. It's cheap when not required.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM

264 posts, read 442,075 times
I say go for it. I know plenty of people who live in the coastal area and would never live anywhere else. They LIVE the coastal life, ie, boating, fishing, etc. If I was going to pay for wind and flood insurance, I would definitely fish and boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston