Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,368 times

Advertisements

I am a yp in the petro industry and live in east downtown with our plant in pasadena--my husband and i live in east downtown and my commute is 35 minutes. i would NEVER EVER EVER live in pasadena/clear lake/seabrook as a yp and i am married! It is a for young families and my husband and I are still too new in adult world to even think to be responsible for a kid! i have in previous rentals lived in: midtown (35 minute commute too); garden oaks/heights (45-100 minutes depending on traffic/accidents/construction) and the woodlands (boo, living with my parents for a year... and that was about 50 there and 120-140 back... and it was awful.)

Last edited by debildeb; 07-07-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debildeb View Post
I am a yp in the petro industry and live in east downtown with our plant in pasadena--my husband and i live in east downtown and my commute is 35 minutes. i would NEVER EVER EVER live in pasadena/clear lake/seabrook as a yp and i am married! It is a for young families and my husband and I are still too new in adult world to even think to be responsible for a kid! i have in previous rentals lived in: midtown (35 minute commute too); garden oaks/heights (45-100 minutes depending on traffic/accidents/construction) and the woodlands (boo, living with my parents for a year... and that was about 50 there and 120-140 back... and it was awful.)
So, there is not one single young professional who enjoys living in Clear Lake or Seabrook?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
Yeah there are plenty who enjoy it there. It depends on your personality and interests. I find that it tends to be a somewhat healthy, outdoors group who lives there - I see tons of runners and cyclists on weekends. The Voyage Apartments, a bit pricey, have a lot of singles living there. Its all in what you want -- lifestyle-wise. We had some summer interns that were working in the plants and they chose to live in Seabrook due to proximity to the plants and they seemed happy there. They drove into Houston for nightlife but they also weren't big partiers.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,368 times
well... his/her interests are "bars" and "music scene" and from my time at in CL camping out at nobi/twin peaks/sherlocks/or gosh.. kemah?? every night was enjoyable but that wouldnt be what made me stay there. of course some people like to live close to the plant or else these towns wouldnt be burgeoning suburbs... but dont we all speak in generalities when we talk about neighborhoods? i am on call for the plant as well as some of the other plant engineers; and we do fine to get there in time for those things that tend to come up in the plant.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,276,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, there is not one single young professional who enjoys living in Clear Lake or Seabrook?

Very good point. There's about 10-12,000 people working JSC related jobs. Many are interns and new graduates. And many of them live in and enjoy Clear Lake. I did have one co-worker who moved to Midtown and commuted to Clear Lake, but he was in the minority.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM

561 posts, read 973,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickinNgrinin View Post
I'm not so worried about a long commute to work. I currently commute at least 40min each way and sometimes up to 2 hours. I'm not a big drinker/partier during the week but definietly like to induldge on the weekends and not have to drive anywhere, hence why I deal with my current commute. One thing for sure is I'm a bargain hunter, if I can live somewhere decent and also cheap which is walking distance to a couple bars with some cute girls, that's the ticket. I like the idea of living close to the ball parks, I don't think I could ever root for the Astros but I do love baseball.
Ok walking distance is out of the question if you're going to be cheap. There's a huge premium if you want to walk to places, its considered a luxury/privilege to be able to walk to bars/restaurants/clubs in Houston. Willing to drive 10/15 minutes to the bars in midtown? Then you're options have expanded widely. But the walking option, is going to limit you severely.

But, if you're willing to pay, midtown would be the spot. There's plenty of those "cool" wannabe lofts there that charge quite a bit to be able to walk home from the bars. $1100 you're probably looking at having a roommate if you want to be anywhere near that. Drive to Baytown from there is about 45 minutes each way. Which is horrendous for me, but if you're ok with it then good. Another warning, don't be too sold on the "reverse commute" idea, there are plenty of young people that have the same fantasy of flying down the freeway opposing traffic, so it reaches a point where the volume equalizes on both sides. Also, this is Houston, traffic emanates in every direction.

Another advantage of being in midtown is the diversity of people you would meet, although they might all be young professionals, they wont all be plant dwellers, as you would find in Baytown. People from work might be your initial social group, but Houston is a big place and don't limit yourself to knowing only the people from work.

I say all this because im in the same situation, well almost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston