Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Tough call. I would expect better than worst record in the league 3 years running to justify an increase.

I haven't gone to a game in two years because I'm angry over the tv deal. They are killing the fanbase with poor decisions like this.

only way to send a message is with the wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Give it two years and you will see the Bagwell's and Biggio's again. Drayton completely screwed this team.

You will see names like Altuve, Springer, Correa, Santana, McCullers, and Deshields for a long time (hopefully Appel starts pitching well). The Astros also have 4 of the top 40 picks in next years draft. Luhnow made bids for a couple big contract in the past offseason, but players chose to play elsewhere.

The Comcast disaster looks like it is finally over now.
I disagree. Santana couldn't even make contact his last time up. Have you seen deshields in minor ball? He's struggling in corpus. He may be a pinch hitter at best but his stock is going down at the moment. Altuve, correa, and springer are key names if they can keep them together. Them plus our pitching still may not be enough.

But back to prices, they def don't warrant an increase. Crane needs to spend or get out of the business if he's dollar pinching a few million. Luhnow has that billy beane moneyball approach but is rough and has more to learn.

And the other who quoted me about $10 is right. Sometimes they say the cheap seats are sold out to make people pay more lol.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
I think they most likely are seeing an uptick in season holder sales because of the amount of new corporate season ticket business they are selling in Houston...all the new corporate investment needs entertainment accounts....the Astros season tickets are by far the cheapest, and so I am willing to bet they are able to increase season ticket prices due to increased corporate demand.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
I thought with new ownership the light would start shining but they're being cheap. Makes me question how much cash Crane even has for the organization. GM luhnow is making decisions that have recently made me question his ability to better the team. He hasn't proven it and many products showing are from Ed Wade.
This is what I thought also. Drayton stripped the team to wring out every last dollar he could before he sold them. Incredibly poor show of character, considering he already stood to make 1/2 Billion dollars in profit from the sale. Not gross, but profit!

So we all think, new owners, new direction. But Crane has been an amazingly parsimonious (AKA cheapskate) owner. Considering how much he revenue he is raking in, versus how little he spends on salaries, one would think he would invest in the team, build a great product, and then you can charge what you want. But he runs it as if a bank has a noose around his neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
They're supposed to be 40% better next year so you're actually getting a deal.
LOL!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
The Astros organization is content with letting the Astros be one of the worst teams in all of baseball and they're going to make fans pay more for their tickets.

You get what you allow.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Take your kids to see the Sugar Land Skeeters or Rice play instead. You're closer to the field and will pay a good deal less. Personally I find Little League baseball to be far more thrilling than the Astros.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm a long-time season ticket holder, thru good & bad, from the 'Dome to today. I rec'd my renewal packet today in the mail...

Last year, my seats were $48 a game, 83 games is $3,984. Now they want $60 a game, $4,980 a seat for the season. a 25% increase, or $3,984 more for the 2015 year for all four of my seats. WTF?!?

First the 'Stros will tell you they haven't raised prices in years. While that's not totally true (you had to pay really early to get the previous year's prices), it doesn't matter. You don't hold prices for years and then bump 'em 25% and say "we're making up for lost time". Either raise them every year like most teams, or when it is time to raise them, do it 3-5%.

Then they'll tell you it's an investment in the team. Excuse me? The Astros job is to put the best team they can on the field, and then ask for what they think the market will bear to watch them. To ask for money first, so they can buy a better team... can you imagine if any other business asked you to pay now for better service later? Maybe better service, as they've proven so far they have no idea how to build a team.

So for the first time ever, I am rethinking my season tickets. I'm not a fair weather fan, as evidenced by my sending them tens of thousands of dollars each year regardless of success. But I do expect professionalism in my team, in the owners, in the management. And I haven't seen ANY sign of it since the team changed hands.

But I have plenty of time to think about it. NOT! I must renew two weeks before this season is even over to get this reduced price, otherwise it goes up more than 30%.
Forget the team, I want to know how much a beer costs now!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM

226 posts, read 284,923 times
They want to raise ticket prices when the Astros are the worst team in all of professional sports. What a joke of a franchise.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
They want to raise ticket prices when the Astros are the worst team in all of professional sports.
In their defense, they're not even the worst major league baseball team in Texas.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Take your kids to see the Sugar Land Skeeters or Rice play instead. You're closer to the field and will pay a good deal less. Personally I find Little League baseball to be far more thrilling than the Astros.
Thumbs up for Constellation Field. We took our 3 year old twins and teen for the first time a few weeks ago and they had a blast. We hardly even sat in our seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston