Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's probably the west-most, Cajun heavy part of the US there.

Actually had a discussion w/ a neighbor about this the other day. There is a lot of money in pockets there, schools are good, etc, but if you're not from there you probably won't want to live there.

(BTW Friendswood ISD is ''whiter'' than Barbers Hill ISD according to the Texas Tribune.)
Yessir - youz gotz to sta way from dem crackas....they be all razist up in hare...Drop dem black folk or highspanics off at dem schools, I herd dos white devils stealz their money, impregnatez their doters, and eatz the boys for snack.

Yup. Stay way from dem crackas!!

Seriously its ridiculous....I grew up in Friendswood, while it is predominately white, it does have other minorities...and everyone is accepting there...

Barbers Hill is smaller, but still quite nice if you have the same morals and values...if your culture is different its fine, so long as you learn to get along with them...you are the outsider until you prove yourself as worthy...just like every single other small town in the US.

Its not Houston - where nobody knows anyone...its small town. Everyone knows everyone and everyone knows everyone's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 PM

200 posts, read 297,270 times
I keep finding myself wondering about this thread. I don't know if the OP is flexible but the more I think about it the more I think Pearland might be a good fit. There is properties outside of the middle of town and before you get to the 288 outskirts that have large sized properties not in subdivisions. Thinking about it, my Dad's good friend used to live in just such a place in Pearland.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM

111 posts, read 218,586 times
Friendswood is predominantly white with money. Excellent schools in Friendswood. Parents are very involved and give money to the schools big time. Still close enough for shopping to Houston. We had to purchase wind insurance and flood insurance was optional but we got it.

We looked at Barber Hills. Seemed way out there and did not like the shopping areas we would go to. Also mostly white but you can easily get an acre plus for much cheaper then Friendswood. Friendswood Isd is rated higher but Barber Hills is still good.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 11,297 times
I've lived in Mont Belvieu for over a year now and every single time a thread comes up there is always a nasty attitude on here how hillbilly and so far out and racist the area is from people who do not live there or haven't even been there. I am born and raised yankee, lived in Illinois for 10 years, and this area is not racist, redneck, and sorry there is new shopping going up everyday. Look around yourself and see how these towns are for yourself. I wanted to move to Atascosita when we found out we were moving and now driving around there, I am so happy we didn't. It was just not the right vibe for us. You need to take a good long look at some frequent posters on here and really question their "advise," it is down right wrong, schools recommended are terrible, and areas completely overly inflated. I question the motives of some posters recommending certain places that are not what the poster is looking for at all.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:50 AM

40 posts, read 73,116 times
Well just some more info about our situation. We are looking for at least 1 acre of land. Would prefer a little more but 1 acre minimum. We would prefer no subdivision but not completely set in stone on that. We are moving from Iowa but my husband lived in Houston until he was 36. We live in a big city in Iowa and my kids have always went to the city public schools so diversity is not an issue to us at all. My husband will be working in the chemical plants so that's why we are looking more on that side of Houston.I'm a nurse so will just try to work closer to where we live if possible. I'm welcome to any ideas Thanks!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Yessir - youz gotz to sta way from dem crackas....they be all razist up in hare...Drop dem black folk or highspanics off at dem schools, I herd dos white devils stealz their money, impregnatez their doters, and eatz the boys for snack.

Yup. Stay way from dem crackas!!

Seriously its ridiculous....I grew up in Friendswood, while it is predominately white, it does have other minorities...and everyone is accepting there...

Barbers Hill is smaller, but still quite nice if you have the same morals and values...if your culture is different its fine, so long as you learn to get along with them...you are the outsider until you prove yourself as worthy...just like every single other small town in the US.

Its not Houston - where nobody knows anyone...its small town. Everyone knows everyone and everyone knows everyone's business.
I think we get the picture.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
I looked at Barbers Hill. Too many trailers and goats there for me; brought back bad memories of West Virginia.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Just passed the new Walmart in Mont Belvieu today. Or possibly that are is easternmost Baytown. Still lots of new development going up over there. I want aware of all that going on.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 PM

200 posts, read 297,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlovewithtexas View Post
Well just some more info about our situation. We are looking for at least 1 acre of land. Would prefer a little more but 1 acre minimum. We would prefer no subdivision but not completely set in stone on that. We are moving from Iowa but my husband lived in Houston until he was 36. We live in a big city in Iowa and my kids have always went to the city public schools so diversity is not an issue to us at all. My husband will be working in the chemical plants so that's why we are looking more on that side of Houston.I'm a nurse so will just try to work closer to where we live if possible. I'm welcome to any ideas Thanks!
I don't want to assume, so just asking, did you say close to Baytown and I missed it? I thought there was other chemical plants besides Baytown. You mentioned Katy and Friendswood in your first post but neither of those is near Baytown. I saw you typed, "that side of Houston" to. what side is that? I feel like I missed something but I skimmed the thread again.

If Baytown is where the work is then you would certainly have other options besides those locations.

I see others have mentioned Barbers Hill and Mount Belvieu which are both very close to Baytown. You could even go past Baytown further from Houston or just look in Baytown. your husband should have a good idea of the area if he lived here that long which could help with the information you get provided if we know the basics of all the locations involved. just an FYI, Baytown has a pretty cool dragster track.

oh, yes. knowing a budget for the 1 acre plus of land could help narrows areas down also. I noticed a pretty wide range of prices from such properties when I was searching Friendswood. not saying all areas will be that way but it could be a factor.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 AM

40 posts, read 73,116 times
Ok so he doesn't have a job lined up yet but trying to stay on the East to Southeast portion of the Houston Metro since those are where most of the Chemical plant jobs are to my knowledge. I'm a nurse so I'm flexible and will work closer to wherever we live. As far as budget we would probably like to stay under $300,000 right now. Maybe once we get there we can increase that budget once we know for sure what we'll be making but that's a good guess for now. The most important things to us are schools and not living right on top of our neighbors. We like a little more space and don't like the crowded subdivisions where you can toss a rock to your neighbor's window. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston