Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 73,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Deer parks not bad.
I know someone who lived there. The median home cost in Deer Park is $131,800. Home appreciation the last year has been 11.80 percent. Compared to the rest of the country, Deer Park's cost of living is 11.40% Lower than the U.S. average. Public schools spend $10,596 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $12,435. and unemployment rate is 4.50 percent(U.S. avg. is 6.30%). Recent job growth is Positive. Deer Park jobs have Increased by 2.95 percent.

The place is worth to consider.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Also, this statement from you: "Most importantly of all, the city isn't too close to water so the impact of flooding from rain and hurricanes wouldn't be bad compared to other parts of Houston Metro Area." made me laugh.
If you're worried about flooding, here's a map of areas that should be avoided.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM

525 posts, read 719,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
If you are working in Houston you do not need to be living in Winnie. I know people in Winnie, and they say it is more of a farming town (and truck stop).

There are nice areas of Deer Park (and Pasadena on the outskirts of Deer Park). That will give you a decent commute into town during the week, and still less than 90 minutes each way to Lamar.

Also, this statement from you: "Most importantly of all, the city isn't too close to water so the impact of flooding from rain and hurricanes wouldn't be bad compared to other parts of Houston Metro Area." made me laugh. Mont Belvieu is only a few miles off Trinity Bay with lots of creeks and lakes near by. There was flooding in that area after Hurricane Ike. Also TONS of downed trees. Ike caused a whole lot of headache for a large portion of Chambers county.

Basically, if you live south of I-10 and east of 288, if a hurricane comes this way you should be worried.
South of I-10 and east of 288 is a huge area. I didn't realize that Houston is that low in elevation.

I have also heard that communities Shelton, Summerwood, and Anascocita including Humble near Lake Houston are nice too.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
If you live in Atascocita or Summerwood you can take 1960 East which merges with Highway 90 and get to Beaumont that way. The schools in Atascocita, especially in Eagle Springs, are pretty well rated. The commute from Atascocita downtown is not too bad, especially if you can carpool and use the HOV lane. There is also a park and ride lot near Atascocita with a direct bus to downtown. If you want to go into the city to Lakewood Church on Sunday morning there is little to no traffic then.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

525 posts, read 719,519 times
I appreciate all posts giving me options to check out.

Are there more suggestions for eastern/or nearby surburbs with easy access to I-10 East in Houston? I have already learned about Summerwood, Highlands, Mont Belvieu, Deer Park, La Porte, Beach City, Atascocita, Friendswood, Pearland, and Sugar Land.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 12-02-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 05:18 PM

49 posts, read 73,662 times
There are lots of acreage-type properties in the Mont Belvieu or Barbers Hill area. And I think Barbers Hill ISD is the school district. You can commute for maybe 40-45 minutes to Beaumont and 30-35 minutes to downtown Houston. You can ask someone you know about the place. A Realtor from the place will give you much information and ideas about good place. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston