Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times

Advertisements

I was on ABC 13 a few years back talking about the awful state of Richmond and the damage it did to my car because of the potholes and road separation. Unfortunately they framed the story to make it sound like I was a spoiled Audi owner complaining about a first world problem. Go media!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I was on ABC 13 a few years back talking about the awful state of Richmond and the damage it did to my car because of the potholes and road separation. Unfortunately they framed the story to make it sound like I was a spoiled Audi owner complaining about a first world problem. Go media!
Most natives know that you can't have a nice car in this town without someone or something eventually messing it up. There was actually a thread about that in here a couple months ago. Generally the consensus was- unless you need it for business/clients, you should probably spend your money elsewhere.

Why you even talked to them is another issue altogether...

Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Yeah I actually had several Audi S cars over the years before I finally threw in the towel and bought a Jeep. I was tired of doing the slalom down Richmond Ave to dodge potholes. I'll get another one soon, but for now it's nice not having to worry about the road conditions.

As to why...well my friends and I all knew how they were probably going to frame the story, but I wanted to scratch "get on the evening news" off my bucket list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Most natives know that you can't have a nice car in this town without someone or something eventually messing it up. There was actually a thread about that in here a couple months ago. Generally the consensus was- unless you need it for business/clients, you should probably spend your money elsewhere.

Why you even talked to them is another issue altogether...

Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 26,335 times
I think part of the issue is that the city is frequently using a "fast, cheap" method to fix the potholes which doesn't always last. There are a number of potholes near by neighborhood which get patched (sometimes becoming a raised bump instead of a hole) and then are back again a few weeks later. They keep showing up in the same spots over and over again. I now know where all of the recurring potholes and other uneven parts of the road are on my daily commute and just change lanes accordingly to avoid them.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I wanted to scratch "get on the evening news" off my bucket list
I did that by being drunk on the news. It's ok, they wanted me drunk to test a hangover cure.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
What you see is what you get. People either want more services or lower taxes. Obviously, the conservative influence has won but it comes with a price on additional auto maintenance.
You do know the city is run by a very far left liberal right?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Quit throwing logic and reason into this. We're trying to run this discussion via emotion where reality plays no part.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Funny, I didn't know the Mayor runs this town. I thought city council played a role...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
What successful road projects are you speaking of?
I don't know if it was city or federal dollars that paid for it, but the work they did on South Braeswood near Stella link is superb. Now, if they could get around to the 15-20 potholes on Stella Link, I'd be a fairly happy camper.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Funny, I didn't know the Mayor runs this town. I thought city council played a role...

I don't know if it was city or federal dollars that paid for it, but the work they did on South Braeswood near Stella link is superb. Now, if they could get around to the 15-20 potholes on Stella Link, I'd be a fairly happy camper.
Yeah most of them are liberals/democrats too.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You can go here and search for city street projects.

Roadworks

I see lot's of completed street projects listed. Are there any you believe are listed as complete that are not complete?
I know for a FACT! that project R-002003-0008 and R-002003-0009 (running past the old KBR building) has been sitting incomplete for about 3yrs. Still have the same construction signs and barriers up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston