Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 AM

49 posts, read 80,001 times

Advertisements

Guys,

Thanks much for your earlier response on a different thread. Very helpful.

Can you also please make another recommendation to me? I am building a new house and will be getting the wood floor done from outside. However, I am really confused if I should do engineered wood or real wood.

There is not much difference between the price. Expense on a top quality (Acacia) engineered wood or a top quality full wood are close. Eng wood for $2500 less than real wood.

Please recommend what would would you guys recommend. I absolutely hate laminate and I am concerned if engineering would give the same look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Guys,

Any response will be much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
If this is your forever home, I would go with real hardwood. The drawback is there is more maintenance with hardwood. It dents easily if you drop heavy objects on it. It scratches if you have pets. It contracts and expands depending on temperature and humidity. The positive is that it can be refinished and re-stained multiple times and it's timeless. It also has a higher resale value. Engineered wood looks cheap to me because majority of time it looks like box store flooring. The best engineered wood is 1/4" thick wood applied over plywood. Might as well go another 1/2" and get the real deal. That's my 2 pesos.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:53 PM

3shipguy : Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. You are absolutely right. If we are spending $12k on wood, we might as well get the real deal. I am also concerned about engineering wood looking cheap and giving the impression of laminate.

"It contracts and expands depending on temperature and humidity." Lots of humidity in Houston; what one can do if real wood starts to contract or expand?

Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer1786 View Post
3shipguy : Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. You are absolutely right. If we are spending $12k on wood, we might as well get the real deal. I am also concerned about engineering wood looking cheap and giving the impression of laminate.

"It contracts and expands depending on temperature and humidity." Lots of humidity in Houston; what one can do if real wood starts to contract or expand?
Since you will probably run your AC and keep your house at a relative constant temperature, you shouldn't have a problem. I found problems usually arise when hardwood is placed over areas above garages such as in townhouses if insulation isn't done properly. The difference in temperature and humidity of a hot garage and the AC'd room above can cause the wood planks to cup. I found that during the winter when the heater is blowing and the air becomes very arid, the planks flatten out. If you are just placing hardwood on a slab foundation and installation is done properly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:38 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I disagree...I think engineered wood, at least the quality kind, looks just as good as real wood. And you can refinish it a few times as well. We have engineered hardwoods, and it looks just as good today as when we built the house 5 years ago, and we do absolutley nothing special to it as far as cleaning, etc.

This is a bad picture of our engineered hardwood flooring in our study, and I wish we had it throughout our house, vs the tile we have.

Feels and looks like real wood floors. No noise like most laminates.
Attached Thumbnails
Engineered Wood vs Hardwood; Building house in Houston-image.jpg  

Last edited by lhafer; 02-22-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 AM

The problem with engineered wood is that deep scratches or dents that penetrate through to the plywood cannot be sanded out like real wood. Engineered wood can probably be refinished twice, maybe three times tops. Their advantage is the ease of installation and that they can take moisture better than real hardwood. Look wise is a matter of opinion. Never heard anyone refer engineered wood as timeless.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
The problem with engineered wood is that deep scratches or dents that penetrate through to the plywood cannot be sanded out like real wood. Engineered wood can probably be refinished twice, maybe three times tops. Their advantage is the ease of installation and that they can take moisture better than real hardwood. Look wise is a matter of opinion. Never heard anyone refer engineered wood as timeless.
This. Also, the ones that are given the "distressed or antiqued or grooved" look, look fake to me. Almost like plastic flooring. Big dogs are a nightmare on these things as well.

Real hardwoods can last your lifetime, stains changed if you want, most scratches sanded out. Other option is put down heart of pine/yellow flooring and embrace the scratches and "life" that occurs on them. It was one of my favorite floors actually.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 AM

259 posts, read 350,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer1786 View Post
Guys,

Thanks much for your earlier response on a different thread. Very helpful.

Can you also please make another recommendation to me? I am building a new house and will be getting the wood floor done from outside. However, I am really confused if I should do engineered wood or real wood.

There is not much difference between the price. Expense on a top quality (Acacia) engineered wood or a top quality full wood are close. Eng wood for $2500 less than real wood.

Please recommend what would would you guys recommend. I absolutely hate laminate and I am concerned if engineering would give the same look.
I'd recommend engineered wood... especially if you are planning to have it anywhere near the kitchen or bathrooms. You wont have to worry about expansion, contraction, or warping with engineered wood and you can still re-sand/finish it a few times. The one advantage to hardwood is that you can sand it down more times... but realistically how many times would you refinish you entire floor during your time in this house?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I really don't have that option myself due to the amount of water that will always be tracked through my house, so we plan to eventually get the porcelain "wood" planks. If it wasn't for the water issue, I'd choose real wood myself if you plan to stay there long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston