Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Long time lurker. I've noticed that I don't have homestead exemption on my house. Do you guys recommend any company that can file it for me? I'm sure it's easy to fill out, but I rather just pay someone else to handle it for me. I live in Fort Bend County. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM

222 posts, read 418,073 times
I just filed mine for the first time a few days. It literally is your name and address and a signature at the end. Why would you pay someone for that? I guess even your realtor, if requested nicely, could do it without much effort.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
It does require a Driver's License or ID card copy, and possibly a notarization depending on the exemption requested, but it is not like you are filing a tax return!

Fort Bend County, TX : Homestead Exemption

There are people that prey on those that have not signed up for the exemption and they will file it for $50-80 or so. I've seen their postcards before. Robbery if you ask me for something you can easily complete yourself and drop in the mail.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
I also had to send in a copy of the HUD when I filed mine last year, doing all the work to get the info together to hand it to someone else is the bulk of the work, not the actual completion of the form.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Here is the form. You only need to do the part concerning the homestead exemption. Send in a copy of your TDL, but NOT your HUD statement. Not sure why the previous poster was told to do that. We are a non-disclosure state.

Edit: just saw that trbstang already included form link, so I deleted it.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,831 times
OK, thanks for the help all. Looking over the form, it does look pretty simple!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
FBCAD returned my form and said I had forgotten to include my HUD. Not sure why if it's not actually needed, strange.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
FBCAD returned my form and said I had forgotten to include my HUD. Not sure why if it's not actually needed, strange.
Very. Would you mind looking up the exact wording when they requested it?

They used to send out a letter, asking what you paid for the house. It was not legally required, but people assumed it was, and told them.

About 3 years ago, they started sending people to doors, asking the sales amount. A lot of people told them.

My guess is they are now trying this tactic, again because people will assume they have to send it in. My question on the wording is because I am trying to figure out if this is just a new tactic to get people to mistakenly disclose. The appraisal district site makes no mention of a HUD requirement (I just looked to make sure that it was not required as of 2015).

Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 AM

162 posts, read 178,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Very. Would you mind looking up the exact wording when they requested it?

They used to send out a letter, asking what you paid for the house. It was not legally required, but people assumed it was, and told them.

About 3 years ago, they started sending people to doors, asking the sales amount. A lot of people told them.

My guess is they are now trying this tactic, again because people will assume they have to send it in. My question on the wording is because I am trying to figure out if this is just a new tactic to get people to mistakenly disclose. The appraisal district site makes no mention of a HUD requirement (I just looked to make sure that it was not required as of 2015).
I never told FBCAD my sale price, but they found out somehow. They had it on their analysis at the appraisal hearing.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
I bet they have to pay for the sales price from other sources if they want it. If you give them the sales price for free, then they don't have to go to any other source to get it, so they are "saving your taxpayer dollars".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston