Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM

42 posts, read 66,435 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the San Francisco Bay area. We both have a six figure income. This is not enough to have our kids go to great schools. An area with a 4bed 2+ bath house with great schools is about $1.2 million or more. We currently live in area where houses are about 400k but the schools are horrible!! Private schools are about $10k a school year!
My wife has the opportunity to switch over to the VA office in Houston which is South West of houston(per Google maps) . Her job will pay her $3k less per year if she moves to Houston. So basically after saving on state taxes, she will be making more money in Houston. I'm willing to quit my job for the city of San Francisco. My online business is doing great and I can run that from anywhere in the US.
We have done the math and even if my online business slows down, we would be better of having a stay home dad running around doing everything with the kids. Currently we spend over $2k a month alone on daycare/ nanny just to take care of two kids. (pick up/drop off at school etc..) imagine adding an extra kid to that.

I've heard great things of sugar land from two Co workers who visited. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM

174 posts, read 407,151 times
A lot of people here moved from out of state, especially from high cost area. I think you have already done your math. It makes economical sense. Your income has more buying power here in Houston. The schools here in Sugar land is excellent. You may also consider to work out a deal with your employer to do telecommute. I know people do that when they relocate from out of state. You will be surprised many people relocate here actually work at home and telecommute to their existing job from out of state. You can always return to SF if things don't work out here.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:53 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofsfbay View Post
We currently live in the San Francisco Bay area. We both have a six figure income. This is not enough to have our kids go to great schools. An area with a 4bed 2+ bath house with great schools is about $1.2 million or more. We currently live in area where houses are about 400k but the schools are horrible!! Private schools are about $10k a school year!
My wife has the opportunity to switch over to the VA office in Houston which is South West of houston(per Google maps) . Her job will pay her $3k less per year if she moves to Houston. So basically after saving on state taxes, she will be making more money in Houston. I'm willing to quit my job for the city of San Francisco. My online business is doing great and I can run that from anywhere in the US.
We have done the math and even if my online business slows down, we would be better of having a stay home dad running around doing everything with the kids. Currently we spend over $2k a month alone on daycare/ nanny just to take care of two kids. (pick up/drop off at school etc..) imagine adding an extra kid to that.

I've heard great things of sugar land from two Co workers who visited. What do you guys think?
Economically the move makes sense, but you probably already know that from online searches. Exactly what kind of information are you looking for?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
The VA is in the Med center so Sugarland is not the best commute. You could afford to live in West U/Rice or Bellaire

Old 03-12-2015, 04:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The VA is in the Med center so Sugarland is not the best commute. You could afford to live in West U/Rice or Bellaire
There is a VA office in Richmond. That could be what he means.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
I'd look at Sugar Land or Katy. I'd stay out of harris county or houston.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:41 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl_pwr View Post
i'd look at sugar land or katy. I'd stay out of harris county or houston.
wtf?!

Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
10k for private school sounds like a major bargain to me.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:18 PM

42 posts, read 66,435 times
The VA Benefit center is at 6900 Almeda Road, Houston, TX

seems like a straight shot from sugar land on alt 90. They have flexible hours and she can start work at 6am or 7am. Which I believe will cut traffic to and from.

10k per kid. Preschool!!

16k per kid Elementary. So I will have three kids in elementary, Thats 48K in non deductible money

If the commute is still bad, Im willing to look at closer areas to her job as long as the prices are still great like the sugar land area.

Jonathz..Im in law enforcement.. The online business is something I started a few years ago and has been great.

mkwensky... I do see its more economical, Im just trying to get a sense of the areas near the VA center. It would also be great if someone who made the move from the San francisco bay area would chime in.

Last edited by Tiredofsfbay; 03-12-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofsfbay View Post
The VA Benefit center is at 6900 Almeda Road, Houston, TX

seems like a straight shot from sugar land on alt 90. They have flexible hours and she can start work at 6am or 7am. Which I believe will cut traffic to and from.

10k per kid. Thats 30K a school year of non deductible money.

If the commute is still bad, Im willing to look at closer areas to her job as long as the prices are still great like the sugar land area.

Jonathz..Im in law enforcement.. The online business is something I started a few years ago and has been great.

mkwensky... I do see its more economical, Im just trying to get a sense of the areas near the VA center. It would also be great if someone who made the move from the San francisco bay area would chime in.
The usual advice for people who commute to the Med Center is Pearland. Meyerland would be another neighborhood that you may want to consider it is closer to the city center and you may be able to send the kids to public schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston