Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,030,436 times

Advertisements

Did you taste it? It's probably just unicorn blood, I hear there's a secret unicorn slaughter house inside the loop on the East side of town over by the Bud plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry609 View Post
I have been distilling my Houston water for over a year - and, I have distilled water from my friend's homes in Houston, and have always found the same thing.

A tablespoon of a reddish, oil-ish liquid that won't evaporate in a distiller; tablespoon per gallon.

It smells pretty foul. THIS liquid is the reason that, after you wash your clothes, they don't smell 'fresh'. Mine smell like they have been sitting, wet, for a day or more.

I have found this in each and every gallon of water that I've distilled from any source on the Houston water system.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? (no, it's not the chloramine; that's colorless)
Kind of piggybacking off what Oildog said. I used to work for Houston water department and many times when seeing a reddish/brownish liquid, many of times its rusty pipes of the property. If you dial 311, many times the City/Utility Maintenance will come run a snake and clean it out from the water main at no cost.
It may cost you some $$$, but sometimes, especially as homeowners, residents need to have have the same thing from their end.

I'm not at all trying to say Houston's water doesn't have contaminants, as do many other big cities water do(especially NYC), but the water goes through an orchestrated filtering system and cleaned with bacterial killing chemicals. So the water is actually generally safe, but people don't like the thought of water having to go through so many processes and sterilized with so many chemicals, it takes away from its natural state.

If you want clean water, that's perfect even to drink, go to Colorado Springs Colorado. I grew up there and with the help of the high elevation and natural springs makes Colorado have some of the best water in the country. But people still swear by their bottled water up there so I guess it really doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Poo from Dallas.
Nice little shot you just took. But I was staying with a friend up in Dallas (Duncanville) and saw the same thing come out of his pipes. So I guess Dallas got someone else's poo too huh?

Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 AM

259 posts, read 350,152 times
And I thought this was going to be a boring thread when I clicked on it....

Unicorns... Aliens... Poop... It's got everything.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:07 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Nice little shot you just took. But I was staying with a friend up in Dallas (Duncanville) and saw the same thing come out of his pipes. So I guess Dallas got someone else's poo too huh?
Absolutely.

Look at every city up the line, and they all pooped in it. Before Dallas it was Fort Worth and Weatherford.

It's not really a shot, more of a statement of fact. I live in Fort Bend Co. and we pull our water from the Brazos, so we get Bear and Aggie poo as it comes through Waco and Bryan. The only time the water is pure is if you live close enough to the glacier/spring that it originates from.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry609 View Post
I have been distilling my Houston water for over a year - and, I have distilled water from my friend's homes in Houston, and have always found the same thing.

A tablespoon of a reddish, oil-ish liquid that won't evaporate in a distiller; tablespoon per gallon.

It smells pretty foul. THIS liquid is the reason that, after you wash your clothes, they don't smell 'fresh'. Mine smell like they have been sitting, wet, for a day or more.

I have found this in each and every gallon of water that I've distilled from any source on the Houston water system.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? (no, it's not the chloramine; that's colorless)
Looks like you're going to be paying a plumber some big bucks, and so is your friend.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM

129 posts, read 170,915 times
Nyc water is some of the cleanest in the nation actually, while Houston is constantly in violation of eps's very loose standards.

I register 160ppm on my tap water, all of which Im guessing is toxins and alpha particles. After going through the reverse osmosis it registers 4ppm.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
Nyc water is some of the cleanest in the nation actually, while Houston is constantly in violation of eps's very loose standards.

I register 160ppm on my tap water, all of which Im guessing is toxins and alpha particles. After going through the reverse osmosis it registers 4ppm.
160ppm of what?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM

581 posts, read 614,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
160ppm of what?
X2, is this based on one of those bogus little TDS meters the water softener/RO people use to sell you their product?

OR

Is this 160ppm based on an Ion Chromatograph analysis. 160ppm total dissolved solids could easily include the normal, healthy level of chloride, fluoride, carbonate, sulfate, etc found in almost all of the purest spring waters in Fiji and the French Alps... That is to say, 160ppm means absolutely nothing without context...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston