Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 58,205 times

Advertisements

We are building a house in Houston and wanted to get an opinion on the Air conditioning. The house is 2800 Square feet. Is it better to get one 5 ton AC Unit Zoned (upstairs and downstairs) with 2 thermostats or two smaller AC units for upstairs and downstairs. I am not worried about the initial cost. What would be more efficient? I would be mostly using downstairs area (80% of the time) and upstairs (20%) of the time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Hmmm...

Well, having two units means that if one failed, you still have AC. Having no AC at all during the summer months is pretty bad.

That said, I have a two story house and I have only one unit, and electronically zoned. I've had it for about 18 months. It works great, saves cost because rather than having two units run at once, we just have one that cools the whole house. 5 Ton like your are thinking about.

Given that I would use my AC more hours than I would be without AC, it makes economic sense to go with one unit than operate two. My 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 AM

259 posts, read 350,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskataria1 View Post
We are building a house in Houston and wanted to get an opinion on the Air conditioning. The house is 2800 Square feet. Is it better to get one 5 ton AC Unit Zoned (upstairs and downstairs) with 2 thermostats or two smaller AC units for upstairs and downstairs. I am not worried about the initial cost. What would be more efficient? I would be mostly using downstairs area (80% of the time) and upstairs (20%) of the time.

Thanks
Do you know what kind of dampening system the single unit system comes with?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,691 times
I think the zoned single unit system will be more cost efficient. If properly zoned and controlled it can cool/heat a home very well.

I would consider a Trane (5 ton zoned system) or a Carrier system.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 AM

292 posts, read 547,721 times
We had a single unit zoned in our first house (2 story). For our second home (one story), we had a 2 unit system. I preferred the 2 unit system so for our current house (2 story), we actually have a 3 unit system and couldn't be happier. I can't comment on the efficiency, as each house is different.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM

203 posts, read 337,216 times
For that size of a house, a 5 ton AC unit is plenty.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Well, having two units means that if one failed, you still have AC. Having no AC at all during the summer months is pretty bad.
This is how I feel. I've had a couple of ac problems at my house, and having that second unit running while waiting for the other to be repaired is quite awesome.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
I would never use a single unit zoned for a two story. a single unit may be a little more cost efficient for you, but the bottom line is it saves the builder money.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,204 times
I had a single 5 ton on 3000 square feet. I hated it. If only one of the two thermostats called for AC, then it was too much air in the zone calling...What happened with mine is the upstairs was constantly calling for AC, it would turn on, cool the upstairs quickly, and shut off...cool air sinks, so the downstairs (with the exception of the west facing Master bedroom) stayed a little cooler than the upstairs in the mornings b/c cool air sinks...However, when the downstairs called for air, it was almost always sharing it with the upstairs - so the inevitable happened...it was hot downstairs in the late afternoons b/c the direct sun was unbearable. My master bedroom was 10 degrees hotter, even after they "balanced" the unit for the tenth or twelfth time.

Also, I found that because the upstairs cooled too fast, the humidity was not properly removed from the house all the time...The humidity levels hovered around 78-81% which is too high....I now have several smaller zoned units in a different house that are sized properly without dampers...the humidity is in the 35-41% range, and I pay the same amount to cool twice the house.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
2800 sq ft is WAY Different than 1800 sq ft. You better do it right or you'll "own Edison." like it or not.

2 units of course. Cold air falls. Let gravity do some of the work (personally I would never live in a two storey house in a hot place like that - and definitely not without a separate system for the second floor, especially with 2800 sq ft).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston