Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Cocktail pools. What a great marketing term

It's because they are only useful for sitting in to have a cocktail as opposed to a swimming pool that you could actually swim in

Part of the reason we are moving from the burbs to the heights is to lose to pool and cut down on maintenance, we can still have cocktails without the pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Our close friends who bought a Woodland Heights home within the last three years immediately put in a pool. They have a larger corner lot for the area (7500 sq ft) which allowed them to put the pool in the side yard. It isn't very big but it isn't as small as I expected, either.

I think the proliferation of pools reflects more and more families with children (like our friends) moving into that area.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:32 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
True about people wanting the amenities from the suburbs. My SR VP moved from the Woodlands into the Heights last year since his kids are now in college, and they had a pool put in right away behind their new construction Victorian house. They had a pool for 10 years in the Woodlands and wanted to continue having one in town. I haven't seen it, but it is smaller than what they had in the other house, all on a 5,500 sqft lot.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
I love the idea of a "cocktail" pool. Very cool.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
I built a pool at our house when we lived in the Heights...Built the pool in 2010, later sold the house in late 2012. The pool sold the house. We had a 6600 sqft lot with a detached garage and a driveway. I had very little grass maybe 8x8 in the back, after the pool, but the loss of grass was not much of loss b/c I had some side yard, and a 15x15 front yard.

My pool was 22feet long x 12'6" wide. PERFECT for volleyball....etc...I had a tanning ledge that was 10x10....it was great. I absolutely loved that pool. Looked way better than grass in my yard, and the kids loved it.

Also what you need to remember about that heights that is NOT true for the new suburbs, is that all utilities and everything else run in the alleys or the front right of way...you get 100% use of your owned lot...there are no fenced in 10' deep easements like in the burbs...so your 50x132 lot is really your own 50x132 lot. Add in the fact that the side setback is only 2' and you can see how much more you can do with a smaller yard on a lot that is actually your own rather than a utility companies.
Attached Thumbnails
The transformation of the Heights-pool-1.jpg   The transformation of the Heights-pool-2.jpg  

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
True about people wanting the amenities from the suburbs. My SR VP moved from the Woodlands into the Heights last year since his kids are now in college, and they had a pool put in right away behind their new construction Victorian house. They had a pool for 10 years in the Woodlands and wanted to continue having one in town. I haven't seen it, but it is smaller than what they had in the other house, all on a 5,500 sqft lot.
Well, dang, there goes my theory!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Also what you need to remember about that heights that is NOT true for the new suburbs, is that all utilities and everything else run in the alleys or the front right of way...you get 100% use of your owned lot...there are no fenced in 10' deep easements like in the burbs...so your 50x132 lot is really your own 50x132 lot. Add in the fact that the side setback is only 2' and you can see how much more you can do with a smaller yard on a lot that is actually your own rather than a utility companies.

That is very interesting. Something I didn't know (which is quite the list).

Very cool pool, btw.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Nice pool!!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Well, dang, there goes my theory!
LOL! His move was mostly about cutting down an hour+ commute to the Woodlands, to a 10 min commute and not having to worry about the kids in public or private schools. But it may be on the market soon since they are eliminating our department over the next year or so and he may have to move again to keep a job in our industry.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I built a pool at our house when we lived in the Heights...Built the pool in 2010, later sold the house in late 2012. The pool sold the house. We had a 6600 sqft lot with a detached garage and a driveway. I had very little grass maybe 8x8 in the back, after the pool, but the loss of grass was not much of loss b/c I had some side yard, and a 15x15 front yard.

My pool was 22feet long x 12'6" wide. PERFECT for volleyball....etc...I had a tanning ledge that was 10x10....it was great. I absolutely loved that pool. Looked way better than grass in my yard, and the kids loved it.

Hey Mark. Do you mind giving a ballpark of what that cost you to install? My clients ask occasionally. I would guess today it would be $30-40K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston