Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM

186 posts, read 209,230 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, because I really like it here. Sure, there's drawbacks, but that's with any city.

I moved here about 2.5 years ago from small hick town Oregon where I grew up. I met my husband while he was recruiting in the Navy over there (poor thing) and when he separated from the Navy, he wanted to move back here to Houston where his family is. I was all freaking for it. My life is SO MUCH BETTER here in Texas. There's opportunity where there wasn't back in Oregon. I really love it here. And I totally know what you mean about people's reactions when you mention Houston. People ask my mom back home in Oregon how I'm doing and what I'm up to now and when she says I moved to Houston the first reaction is, "Oh, I'm so sorry for her..." Really? I'm sorry that you're stuck in hick town central with nothing to do and no new people to meet. Sorry for you. I don't understand the negative opinions of Houston... I don't get it.

I've never been to Tulsa, but I already know it's night and day difference from where I moved from in Oregon. So, my opinion may not be the same as yours with how BIG of an AWESOME difference living in Houston is. But I love life here in Houston. It's an adjustment but I wouldn't change where I live. We have a great life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM

162 posts, read 178,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
The magic number on everyone's mind is over/under $80/barrel at the close of markets December 31st.

Mattress Mack!
I thought his price point promotion was $85 / barrel.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
I wish someone would have talked me out of moving back down here..... If you like hot and humid hellholes, then do it. Oh and all I have to say is I-45 needs to go kick rocks.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
The magic number on everyone's mind is over/under $80/barrel at the close of markets December 31st.

Mattress Mack!
LOL. Is Mack's bet $80 or $85?

In general terms, anything over $60 and we'll survive. Even at $65, our economy will do just fine.

The real money comes in once it's over the $80 range and you probably won't find anything inactive once it tops $90.

Keep in mind that Houston's oil business isn't about drilling in Texas. Houston companies provide equipment, services and logistics for drilling and production around the world. When BP starts a well in the North Sea, money comes to Houston. When a tank farm is expanded in Saudi Arabia, money comes to Houston.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I wish someone would have talked me out of moving back down here..... If you like hot and humid hellholes, then do it. Oh and all I have to say is I-45 needs to go kick rocks.
Here's an idea - move elsewhere.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:23 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
You want me to talk you out of it?...ok

Bad traffic on most of the major freeways....even on the weekends.
Hot as hell in the summer.
The humidity here is awful....you literally cannot breathe in 90-100% humidity.
Everyone is moving here.....we are full.
Public transportation is awful. The bus system and light rail system is a joke.
The current mayor....
The potholes in the streets will literally "total" your car.
There are too many strip malls...too much concrete and not enough natural beauty.
Houston has two seasons...hot and cool.
Actually it's hot and hotter.. Horrible traffic on ALL roadways, day or night. Serious issues with road rage.
I'd seriously reconsider.

Quote:
I agree.

Not to mention the signs on I10 say we should consider OKC for living/work..

Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 AM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here's an idea - move elsewhere.
Here's an idea... find me a job then because I have been applying for a long time! When going about choosing my career path, I was led to believe that finding jobs in the field in the majority of the country was doable. I was duped!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Here's an idea... find me a job then because I have been applying for a long time! When going about choosing my career path, I was led to believe that finding jobs in the field in the majority of the country was doable. I was duped!
What is your profession?

I'm in O&G and our company has every manner of job in places like Pittsburgh, Casper, Kilgore, Denver and even LA. We have engineers, sales people, finance people, etc. etc in those markets. Sure, they aren't nearly as plentiful in Houston, but such jobs are there.

Additionally, at night you can work on doing something to expand or change your career.

I don't know why anyone would live in a place they hated. I can't stand cold weather, so I wouldn't take a job up in somewhere like North Dakota.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:59 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
Literally.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
We do have a good economy. It's just not gang busters like before.

Oil prices will return, and our economy will build steam again.

It's up $10 since mid march, and I'll bet we are at between $65 and $70 by year's end.
I was talking about Tulsa's economy lol..

Quote:
No one made you choose Santa Fe.. that was your own fault .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston