Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
I dont even care about people moving here anymore. They stick to suburbs way out or the trendy neighborhoods and dont bother me in the "real Houston" since they dont explore the city
I am curious what/where the "real Houston" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
So black people are intrinsically bad? Can you take your bigoted thought process and go back to last century please? Crime is associated with socioeconomic levels, not skin tones. You mistake correlation as causation.
Thank you!

I'm a black chic and i'm a middle class homeowner, take pride in the upkeep, get up and go to work everyday, pay my bills ON TIME, shop a little too much at the mall (LOL) etcetc.......just as most others do. Criminal elements (and the behavior that goes along with it) spans ALL races. That's like me saying "rut ro, all whites are going to blow up churches/eat people/shoot up schools," and that's just NOT TRUE

Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
The real Houston is where they made those rap videos 15-20 years ago.

And of course crime spans all races. But when you adjust for numbers and percentages and probabilities and all of those numerical things that liberals don't understand, it is painfully obvious that... Never mind. The numbers are racist, and whites are still the problem.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
Well, I've seen almost as much racism in this thread alone than I saw in a decade and a half of living in Houston.

This forum is supposed to be about Houston, a diverse, cosmopolitan city. If you're going to spout racist garbage either overtly or through the latest talk radio dogwhistle code words (hint: "illegal" is an adjective, not a noun), go back to the rural Alabama hickville where you belong.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 AM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The real Houston is where they made those rap videos 15-20 years ago.

And of course crime spans all races. But when you adjust for numbers and percentages and probabilities and all of those numerical things that liberals don't understand, it is painfully obvious that... Never mind. The numbers are racist, and whites are still the problem.
I'm sure plenty of liberals know a lot more about math than you do. They probably understand that you're crowing about overall average statistics when there are other factors in play. You can't take an average of a population as a whole -- when that average is heavily influence by, say, people on the lower end of the economic scale -- and then use that average to smear people whose economic conditions are better than that. This is why actual statisticians put more than one variable into their models.

Liberals often also understand a bit more about culture.

Everyone already knows that people who living in poverty are more likely to commit crimes. That's not some shocking revelation when you bring it up.

As long as you're talking about blame, who put certain groups in poverty? When black people haven't even had legal equality until relatively recently (and then only technically -- it's clear that they don't have the same legal protections as everyone else, for all practical purposes), it's a bit harsh to blame them for it. Don't force people to be second class citizens and then complain about the crime rates that tend to go along with populations of second class citizens.

Of course, none of that should scare people away from Houston, which is full of people with diverse ethnic backgrounds and economic situations. It's ridiculous to point to all of the middle class black people and imply that they are some sort of problem (all because their skin is the same color as the skin of the racist stereotypes you come up with whenever you think about black people -- you're blaming ordinary people for your prejudice).

If Houston as a whole had some sort of problem with crime, then it'd be worth pointing out the crime as a reason to stay away. Maybe.

What we actually have here is a city with some crime that can be avoided if you just stay away from the bad parts of town, just like any other big city, and we have some racists trying to give the run-of-the-mill crime rate extra emphasis because the city isn't white enough for them to ignore crime statistics.

Houston has a lot more black people than many cities. It does not have a lot more crime, especially in the suburbs or the moderate-to-nice parts of the city. Therefore, pointing to the city's demographics and shouting about crime is disingenuous. The fact that some people seem to revel in the opportunity to shout about this sort of thing says more about them than about the city.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:53 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Any part of the city that isnt recomnended on here to move to over and over. Heights, montrose, west u, med center, etc

Old 06-26-2015, 02:09 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Any part of the city that isnt recomnended on here to move to over and over. Heights, montrose, west u, med center, etc
So real houston is suburbs which mainly arent in the city of houston and smaller areas that are more poor? Why are poor areas the real houston? Houston has always had neighborhoods spanning all economic levels

Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
Come to Houston, try it out. If you don't like it....leave. It's really as simple as that.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:49 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
Quote:
Everybody has their own point in time (usually when they move somewhere) that represents their reality of the "original/authentic" version of that area. Since things never stop changing, there is no definitive "real Houston".

Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray_slacker View Post
1 million blacks, 2 million illegals+gang banging children...thats all the reason you need...you already know its hot stinky sweaty. murders up 60%, road rage killing and jugging every day....animals abound

Can't even believe you really said this. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston