Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Is this listing on the fault line? I have associates trying desperately to sell their house in The Woodlands and get into Spring Branch ISD. I saw this listing and thought it would be perfect for a makeover.
14330 Kellywood Ln, Houston, TX 77079-7402 - Nottingham Forest 2 Houston

Is it on the famous fault line? If not its a great deal or a property that will be razzed for new construction, due to its great location in the subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 28,150 times
What is the "famous fault line"? If I'm moving to Houston is this something I should know about?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 AM

There are a few fault lines within Houston City limits. Houston is built on what we lovingly call "gumbo," aka soil that is affected by moisture levels.You just have to ask your agent for the map. Most are in the Western Corridor, the priciest section of Houston. Foundation issues are common throughout the area. Remember Houston is built in an area surrounded by bayous. Faults here are areas of shifting soil that causes a house to settle or "pop." Not and earthquake fault.

The one I'm talking about is called the Piney Point Fault and its runs in this section of Memorial. When you see a house price this low, its either on the fault or a fire sale.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
I nearly bought a home in Wilchester that was on the fault line. That house would probably go for $100K more today than it would 4 short years ago.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Its crazy in Wilchester latley, in a good way. One went on the market last week for around 550k in original condition and went option pending in two days, on Alchester. Very little on the market around there, so when something does come on, that's on a good street, people jump on it. Good or bad condition.
All those BP and EC people coming in are desperate to be close to work. I don't blame them.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM

I thought for sure I could get some inside scoop on this one with all the realtors in here. Ok, I'll have to break down and call a realtor friend.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Hey EA, just call the listing agent and ask about foundation issues. They'll tell you, unless they "don't know" (at which point you flip them off and politely hang up LOL). My guess is you won't know unless you get a survey or check with the Title Company. You can also try USGS and maybe find the fault line maps there. I didn't think the Piney Point fault went that far? My guess would be it is a branch of the Addicks fault. There are quite a few in Houston, but most homes were built with that knowledge and they would build homes between the faults rather than on top of them. If it has big foundation issues, then it is probably on the low side of a scarp. If it is on the higher side, there will be fewer problems. I'd go drive over there and check it out.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:12 AM

I just decided to forward this on to the couple and let them deal with it. I don't feel like being stalked and pried by a realtor.
Its great deal for razzing or redo if its not effected by the fault. But I'll drive by next week on my way to BP.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Already went Option Pending. Gone in four days. wow. I bet it will be razzed for new construction

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 32,950 times
Ok, my house is on the fault line and runs jsut a few feet under the master bedroom. There was foundation work before we moved in to address any soil shifts underneath, and we've had no problems since. The house has been here for over 40 years, so if there were going to be more significant problems, I would think they would have shown up by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston