Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
I grew up in montrose and went to Lanier junior high and would walk home to north blvd. which was about three miles away. At least twice a week I would get propositioned by men driving by in business suits saying hey cutie need a ride home or want to make some extra cash?I am a man by the way.I would tell my parents about it and they would say they are just being nice!They were completely ignorant about the world I guess.Now you would have Amber alerts and who knows what else.This was in 1975.I think its funny when i read about how perverts didnt exist back then.I went on to Lamar high school and still walked home everyday, but i grew to over six feet tall and i guess Iwas not as cute because the offers stop coming in.

hahahahahhaaaa..... i went to lanier from 1972-1975 ..... was supposed to go on to lamar, but my parents (dad) decided i needed more religious education and so was sent to marian over in bellaire..... BIG BIG mistake on my parents part.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
I remember going to the midnight movies at the Alabama and watching refer madness and when the movie came on and the lights went out half the people lit up a joint and the entire place was fogged up with pot smoke .Nobody ever seemed to care that was a different time.

that and the rocky horror picture show that ran HOW many years????

Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
that and the rocky horror picture show that ran HOW many years????
That's still at the River Oaks theatre.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajolan View Post
GEEZE...LIBERTY HALL?
HOW BOUT TEXAS OPRY HOUSE, OR zone "6" (at the curve?)
I RAN IT FOR A WHILE.... "OAT wILLIE: ONWARD THRU THE FOG"...
HOW BOUT BATTLE OF THE BANDS ... was it bonapart's or napolean's retreat? west of fondren... apt complexes had bars then. what a concept. looking for former members of beaumont horn band, "funk Factory"? early-mid 70's. played houston, and ujp to east coast...help! i have someones senior ring... jim wiley (drummer)......
it was bonaparte's retreat ..... spent a LOT of time there......

man .... i LOVE this thread ..... so glad i stumbled across it.....

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's still at the River Oaks theatre.
Ah, but for how much longer the River Oaks Theater, young grasshopper?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Ah, but for how much longer the River Oaks Theater, young grasshopper?
Until it gets plowed into the ground for another condo, what did you think the answer would be?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 AM

18 posts, read 80,094 times
Default Memories of Yesteryear - Montrose

Thanks for sharing your post regarding "the life" in 1970's Montrose district. Being a product of that time and location, I could really understand the variety, circumstance and quirky nature of the piece. There were literally no rules to break at that time and literally, anything went.
I grew up on Morse street (and a coupla months on Graustark, down the street from the now gone Der Wiendershnitztle) from the late 60's to the late 70's; age-wise I was 7 when we moved there and I left at 17. Well, that was the formative years so everything I do now compares with that period of my life. I don't think I will ever see a more creative laboratory in America to grow up in, ever again. No cell phones, pagers, computers - just the streets and the people! what a concept, I am sure one that America's youth would cringe just thinking about nowadays!
Allow me to share some of the places from that wonderful places that some of you may know. IF you do, share your feelings about the place.

Cherryhurst Park - I spent many a summer there, eating free lunches and getting into all kinds of social mischief. I found my first girlfriend there, though she probably didn't realize it at the time.

Alabama Theatre - Rocky Horror every Friday night preceeded by sneaking out of the house and getting one of our older friends to purchase Everclear for the event. Remember when you could buy liquor at 18?

Hermann Park - What is there to say? The Miller Outdoor Theatre was situated below a small hill that I recall was mentioned as "Hippie Hill". I remember that plenty of Hippies hung out there taking advantage of the cool breezes that graced the top of the hill. Lots of Marijuana use was in play at that time and it all seemed very innocent to a 13 year old.

St. Ann Catholic School - Corner of Westhiemer and Sheperd Drive. THis was my first school. I have many mixed emotions concerning the place. It really had a great mix of middle class and upper class kids there. What was strange was that as we all grew up together, the oder we got the more apparent it was that we were from mixed social classes. I do not keep in touch with even one person from that experience though I wish that I would just pick up the phone and make an attempt. I guess i prefer the ghosts over the body.

Lanier Jr. High - My first public school experience. I loved it even though I got into a lot of fights because i didn't understand the social order since I had just come out of private school for the last 8 years. Met my first transgendered person there and didn't think anything about it except how exotic he/she was. I sometimes wonder whatever became of her.

Lamar High School - Ugh. All the rich kids. Enough said. that place was too big!

Though not in Montrose, I can't help but mention ASTROWORLD!! The greatest place that ever was. Did I make you smile? She is gone forever but I still dream of the beautiful place.

Thanks for listen to me rattleon! IF you remember any of this stuff, SPEAK!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 AM

sounds like at least three of us were at lanier at around the same time......

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 80,094 times
I was there from 78 to 80. Then went to Lamar for a year. All I remember about Lanier was a drafting teacher who I think was named Mr. Bearce. He had a shortwave radio club as well and used to teach Morse code.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM

a few years behind me.....

and i don't remember a mr. bearce.... 'course, i never took any drafting classes.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston