Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
if you are going straight, you get in the left lane to allow people behind you to make a right turn; good courtesy.
I hope you don't expect "courtesy" in a city where nobody uses their turn signals
and if you ever do, people will speed up and block you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Pinch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I hope you don't expect "courtesy" in a city where nobody uses their turn signals
Ha, true. Also, many people in Houston like to pinch other drivers off, I can't understand what the heck these people are thinking when they do that, this also causes delays. I do admit there is something similar to that which I understand, and that is when you've got the people who see a long queue of cars on the freeway that are in the lane that will merge with another freeway, but they are too important, so instead they ride the next lane all the way up the point just before the turn begins, and then expect to be let in like its owed to them. I just feel that if I waited five to ten minutes in a queue, then the person wanting in the next lane should also have to wait, especially when they knew there was a queue.

I relish the sight of a policeman waiting up there telling all those lane jumpers to pull over and handing out tickets.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-17-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Ha, true. Also, many people in Houston like to pinch other drivers off, I can't understand what the heck these people are thinking when they do that, this also causes delays. I do admit there is something similar to that which I understand, and that is when you've got the people who see a long queue of cars on the freeway that are in the lane that will merge with another freeway, but they are too important, so instead they ride the next lane all the way up the point just before the turn begins, and then expect to be let in like its owed to them. I just feel that if I waited five to ten minutes in a queue, then the person wanting in the next lane should also have to wait, especially when they knew there was a queue.

I relish the sight of a policeman waiting up there telling all those lane jumpers to pull over and handing out tickets.
I hate drivers who do that....I will not let those drivers in. If it's an accident or stall - I will let someone in....otherwise. I waited so can they........

Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

For myself, a blinker is saying "may I please get over", and when somebody asks me nice by using their indicator, I almost always oblige.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
For myself, a blinker is saying "may I please get over", and when somebody asks me nice by using their indicator, I almost always oblige.
To me a turn signal is not asking permission, but telling other drivers that you are turning or changing lanes. Kind of like brake lights indicating slow down or stop.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
For example, people in California seem to know that when you come to a stop at an intersection, if you are going straight, you get in the left lane to allow people behind you to make a right turn; good courtesy.
I do it and many people in Houston do it too.

And regarding stopping , If there is red and If I am the first or second and if there is shade , I stop there

Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
We have no choice at 290/Hollister....they moved the traffic light back. If you pull up to the white line you will not be able to see the traffic light (and I know because I tried it, with a sunroof LOL)

Old 08-18-2015, 03:12 PM

153 posts, read 305,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
To me a turn signal is not asking permission, but telling other drivers that you are turning or changing lanes. Kind of like brake lights indicating slow down or stop.
It's sort of both....

What I hate are the people who think a signal is a right of way and that they should be allowed over BECAUSE they signaled. It doesn't work that way. If you pull up and signal but position your car so I can't see the signal because it's blocked by my pillar, you aren't getting over. However, if you signal and are driving politely, I am more apt to let you over, or speed up some to give you room behind me if there's space behind me.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:02 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiabelle View Post
What I hate are the people who think a signal is a right of way and that they should be allowed over BECAUSE they signaled. It doesn't work that way. If you pull up and signal but position your car so I can't see the signal because it's blocked by my pillar, you aren't getting over. However, if you signal and are driving politely, I am more apt to let you over, or speed up some to give you room behind me if there's space behind me.
I hate it when I find a gap to change lanes, signal, and then the car behind me speeds up so they can try to get me miss my exit or get off at the wrong one (mostly at interchanges).

You are required to give the right-of-way to cars coming from the left to the right, but not to cars coming from the right to the left.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
They probably can't wait to get on their phone and text or look at Facebook.
This is the reason. I'm always glancing at intersections and it's obvious....like 100%, clear as glass obvious who's texting OR talking on their phone. Either way they're an idiot putting more emphasis on a 5 ounce electronic device rather than keeping their focus on the 4000 POUND motor vehicle they're commanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I see that all the time and also where they leave at least a car length between them and the car in front of them at a red light. DRIVES ME NUTS ! Close it up, for God's sake so everyone gets a chance to make the light before it turns red, especially in turning lanes.

One time a guy left so much room in front of him that I went around him and pulled my car into that space. Not sure if it gave him the hint, but it sure felt good !

We were just traveling yesterday and saw car after car stopped way back from the one in front, and we can't figure out why they do it.

Don
Yep. I always do that then look in my rear view mirror and see that jackwagon on their phone so I know they obviously don't care about driving.

The cell is SO much more important. When you're driving THE most important thing is being on your phone in some kind of capacity. It truly is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: