Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times

Advertisements

Looking for good Montessori schools in or near Telfair. Have heard of Cambridge Montessori in NT, Telfair Montessori, and Casa dei Bambini. Very little info on the last two because they are so new, and Cambridge got mixed reviews, but couldn't tell if it was the school or just parents not liking the Montessori method. Any info on these, good or bad, is much appreciated.

What do you know or have heard of these three? Any others to consider? From what I've read, I think my DS would do best in a Montessori environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM

154 posts, read 196,239 times
Riverbend montessori

Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Riverbend is the only Montessori school in the area that truly understands the curriculum. The others have it in name only. But the facilities are newer and shinier at those other schools.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Riverbend is the only Montessori school in the area that truly understands the curriculum. The others have it in name only. But the facilities are newer and shinier at those other schools.
What exactly do you mean? How are they different? Are you saying the others are bad? I'm assuming you looked into all of them.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 AM

62 posts, read 62,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
What exactly do you mean? How are they different? Are you saying the others are bad? I'm assuming you looked into all of them.
Montessori is an educational method that any child care facility can include in their name. Only Montessori programs that are recognized by AMI (Association Montessori International) truly follow the pedagogy set forth by Maria Montessori. The accreditation process is costly, and I am sure that there are some schools who embrace the Montessori philosophy without being part of the national organization, but you must understand the approach in order to identify true Montessori schools.

"I" would avoid any school that is AMS (American Montessori Society) certified, their programs deviate from the original teachings and often align with current educational trends.

What is Montessori
Parents & Families | AMI USA

Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 AM

88 posts, read 123,201 times
My 2 year old son goes to the Casa Dei Bambini in Riverstone, and we are very unhappy with the management. The owner cares only about maximizing profit. On 3 different occasions now we have been given extremely short notice of a teacher change. In the spring his teacher was leaving the country for a 1 month vacation and we were told 2 days before she left, in the summer his teacher was going to be on vacation for a month and we found out the day before, and for the fall session which started this past Monday, we found out when we showed up at school on Monday morning that his scheduled teacher had moved to another Montessori school. The owner is deceptive and does not notify parents of changes because she knows it will give families an opportunity to consider moving to another school.

The Casa Dei Bambini in Telfair has the same ownership as the one in Riverstone. I highly recommend looking into another school. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
My 2 year old son goes to the Casa Dei Bambini in Riverstone, and we are very unhappy with the management. The owner cares only about maximizing profit. On 3 different occasions now we have been given extremely short notice of a teacher change. In the spring his teacher was leaving the country for a 1 month vacation and we were told 2 days before she left, in the summer his teacher was going to be on vacation for a month and we found out the day before, and for the fall session which started this past Monday, we found out when we showed up at school on Monday morning that his scheduled teacher had moved to another Montessori school. The owner is deceptive and does not notify parents of changes because she knows it will give families an opportunity to consider moving to another school.

The Casa Dei Bambini in Telfair has the same ownership as the one in Riverstone. I highly recommend looking into another school. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.
Thanks. I could find no information on them, which is a red flag, so will rule them out.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 AM

Looked into Riverbend Montessori, and I'm sure it's a great school, but not sure it'll work for us for logistics reasons. We have long commutes, and both Cambridge Montessori and Telfair Montessori are open 6:30am-6:30pm and close to us.

Riverbend is further away and is only open from 7am-5:30pm. The more limited hours and further distance makes a huge difference with University and Sweetwater congestion during rush hour. Given our commutes and work schedules, that really won't work for us.

I'm not a stickler for 100% Montessori as long as the school is good and the kids learn, grow, and thrive. We did look at non-Montessori schools as well. Does anyone have any actual experience or knowledge with Cambridge Montessori or Telfair Montessori?

The non-Montessori schools close are kids-r-kids, young leaders, and primrose. I heard terrible things about primrose, so they are out. Wife did not like kids-r-kids. Young leaders were very rude to my wife and didn't care about our son, so that ruled them out, plus thought they used media and TV way too much.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM

62 posts, read 62,273 times
Are you open to considering schools between home and work, or near your work? Commuting with a child will allow you to use the HOV lanes.

Kids-r-kids, Young Leaders and primrose are not schools, they are day care centers with curriculums that don't align with best practices for preschool children.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumHouston View Post
Are you open to considering schools between home and work, or near your work? Commuting with a child will allow you to use the HOV lanes.

Kids-r-kids, Young Leaders and primrose are not schools, they are day care centers with curriculums that don't align with best practices for preschool children.
Unfortunately no. We need one relatively close by. I travel all the time, and my wife works in 2 different locations. What are the top 2 or 3 in the area? Does anyone know anything about the two Montessori schools I mentioned? We could go further out into First Colony Sugar Land if the school was open to 6:30, but Riverbend is not.

Would really like some info on Cambridge Montessori or Telfair Montessori. Even if they aren't 100% Montessori, how do they stack up as schools?

This is for 2 years PK to prep him for Cornerstone Elementary for Kindergarten in 2 years. We need to start him soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston