Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, I want to upgrade my outside system to a 1080p PoE system that will also control at least one PTZ camera. Every time I look at systems, I keep thinking that if I wait just a bit longer, I can get a good system without spending too much.

The wireless ones are just going to be used inside from time to time.
Here is a system I was looking at before:

Amazon.com : LaView LV-KN988P86A4-T2 Premium IP 8 Channel Security System with 6 IP 1080P Security Cameras, 2 TB HDD (White) : Camera & Photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:01 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I've been with ADT for years. I was paying about $50 a month. I called them and said I'm switching to Smith Thompson unless you cut my rate. I said I couldn't afford to pay $50 a month and Smith Thompson is $17 a month. They cut it to $24 a month. Call them up and tell them txdemo sent you.
I think I will call them and get my rate lowered. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 AM

672 posts, read 847,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpate04 View Post
I have frontpoint security. i had it for almost 2 years and great customer service and no issues so far.
I considered FrontPoint, but the problem is that they want to use their wireless sensors. My house is already prewired so I wanted to use my existing infrastructure which they would not do. Otherwise, I've heard good things about them.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM

268 posts, read 383,680 times
Hi everyone,

I have a question similar to OP, and thought I'd ask in this post:

I am in the initial process of building a new home, and I definitely want to install a security system.

Option 1: Builder charges $200 PER CAMERA PRE-WIRING. So if I go with 5 cameras, I will be paying $1000 to the builder for the PRE-WIRE ONLY. Then I would buy 5 cameras, say from Amazon. Then I would have to hire a handyman to go up the ladder and do a nice job of installing the cameras to the exterior walls of the home. I wouldn't need the handyman to connect the equipment... just to nail the cameras properly to the exteriors of the home.

Option 2: Since the WIRES to be used would depend on the Camera Technology that I buy, perhaps it doesn't make sense to PRE-WIRE via builder? So, perhaps I would do more research and buy a whole security camera kit from Amazon, including the wires... then hire a handyman to not only install the cameras to the exterior of the walls, but also run the wires from the cameras into the homes and bring all the wires to a single point... and I would then hook the wires up to the DVR/monitor etc?

My thought is that since I would have to hire a handyman either ways, why pay $1000 to builder, especially if I am not even sure about which camera technology I'd be using, i.e. the kind of wires.

Option 3: Did some research and found out there are these 100% WIRE-FREE cameras... Home Security Systems | Security Cameras | Arlo by NETGEAR
But just concerned with how often I might need to replace batteries... Of course, I'd hire a handyman to install these to the exteriors of the walls... simply because I think I might not do a good job myself and might ruin the new walls...

I see that many of you responding on this post have already gone through some similar decision making process... so I was hoping to pick your brains and see if I can do something similar.

Thanks very much!
DrD

Old 09-14-2015, 06:15 PM

676 posts, read 932,376 times
If there are no wires, that means you will be climbing up changing batteries fairly often. Now days, I would suggest installing IP cameras that can be powered over ethernet. This means you only need to have 1 ethernet line run to each location with a home run back to wherever you are going to put the DVR. Your builder will probably charge an arm and a leg to do this, so try and get a handyman or electrician to come in and pull the wiring before the drywall is up if possible. It will be much easier than climbing around and drilling holes after it is up. If you are getting an alarm system also, have a local alarm company come pre-wire before the walls are up also if the builder does not do that.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM

81 posts, read 138,783 times
There are two types of wires - BNC/Analog or Ethernet - and you want the Ethernet type, so that removes the question of which wire to run/what technology to use. Just forget battery based wireless cameras - trust me you don't want to be climbing your roof to replace batteries every month. I am not even sure there is any security camera worth having that is battery powered. You can still use wireless cameras that are powered by an outlet - but then you will have to have the builder run power outlets to everywhere you want a camera, not to mention dealing with weather proofing issues etc. Wireless cameras (that run off main power) should be a last resort when you cant run a wire to a location. But since your house is still being built you don't have to worry about it.

Depending on your builder, they may not allow some random third party to come run wires while the house is under construction. People on here have had some success into talking their builders into letting them do that, but its more the exception than the rule. If you builder wont budge on this then your only option is have them run the wires. It may be a ripoff but it will save you a TON of pain later. It may be easy to run wires yourself later for cameras higher up by the attic, but for certain locations like the front door and back door, it will be very painful and expensive, if not impossible to run wires internally after the house is built (well with enough money you can do anything, but you know what I mean). Sure you can run the cables outside the house, but that will be plain ugly and not secure.

Also you may think you want 5 drops, but go ahead and get at least 8 (2 fronts, 2 sides, 1 rear, 1 back door, 1 front door at a minimum) even if you do not use all of them right away, it is much cheaper than wanting to add later for the reasons discussed above. Bottom line is you should run Ethernet cables before your dry walls go up to all the places you think you may install a camera (either through your builder or through 3rd party if allowed). Also have them signal test the cables at both end after they run the cables because lot of times they will bend the cable really hard or run a nail through it. I had a dead cable run caused by careless wiring that I discovered only after several months and it was a pain to re-run a new cable to that location. While you are at it, run some Ethernet cables for a video intercom system to your front door and kitchen/bedroom. Personally this has been the best security investment for me. PM me if you have any other questions.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
Screw the builder. I had the same issue when I built my house. Here is what you need to do:

1. Renegotiate the $200 a drop or bring in your own wiring people before the walls are installed. Prepare to walk out of the deal.

2. Use structured wiring bundles instead one wire at the time, so they will only charge for one drop but you get several wires instead. See attached link for wire bundles:

Connect Your Home With Bundled Wire & Media Cable - Home Controls

I still have 1000FT of structured wiring from my house, I sale it cheap :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD76 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am in the initial process of building a new home, and I definitely want to install a security system.

Option 1: Builder charges $200 PER CAMERA PRE-WIRING. So if I go with 5 cameras, I will be paying $1000 to the builder for the PRE-WIRE ONLY. Then I would buy 5 cameras, say from Amazon. Then I would have to hire a handyman to go up the ladder and do a nice job of installing the cameras to the exterior walls of the home. I wouldn't need the handyman to connect the equipment... just to nail the cameras properly to the exteriors of the home.

Option 2: Since the WIRES to be used would depend on the Camera Technology that I buy, perhaps it doesn't make sense to PRE-WIRE via builder? So, perhaps I would do more research and buy a whole security camera kit from Amazon, including the wires... then hire a handyman to not only install the cameras to the exterior of the walls, but also run the wires from the cameras into the homes and bring all the wires to a single point... and I would then hook the wires up to the DVR/monitor etc?

My thought is that since I would have to hire a handyman either ways, why pay $1000 to builder, especially if I am not even sure about which camera technology I'd be using, i.e. the kind of wires.

Option 3: Did some research and found out there are these 100% WIRE-FREE cameras... Home Security Systems | Security Cameras | Arlo by NETGEAR
But just concerned with how often I might need to replace batteries... Of course, I'd hire a handyman to install these to the exteriors of the walls... simply because I think I might not do a good job myself and might ruin the new walls...

I see that many of you responding on this post have already gone through some similar decision making process... so I was hoping to pick your brains and see if I can do something similar.

Thanks very much!
DrD

Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD76 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much!
DrD
Drop your own Cat 5/6 cables and be done with it. It's not that hard.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:34 PM

268 posts, read 383,680 times
Thanks ilikeme, Coog05, ethanw and dsl_pwr!
I appreciate everyone's inputs and comments.
The builder is Trendmaker Homes. They won't install anything that they don't sell. e.g. I wanted to install a sink from lowes or a wrought iron gate from homedepot... and so on... but they will just not do it. So I highly doubt they will allow any 3rd party installer to do the wiring during the construction.

Alarm system pre-wiring is standard, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

I agree that wireless battery-operated cameras are not practical. So that option is out.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions of installing IP PoE cameras. I really like that idea and will be going with that option. However, I have to agree with Coog, and am leaning towards getting Cat-5 pre-wiring for the cameras through the builder. Expensive... but peace of mind + warranty from builder.

Thanks everyone! Again, I really appreciate the expert opinions offered by folks here.
I especially like the idea of going with 8 cameras and the idea of video intercom system!
Best,
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
If there are no wires, that means you will be climbing up changing batteries fairly often. Now days, I would suggest installing IP cameras that can be powered over ethernet. This means you only need to have 1 ethernet line run to each location with a home run back to wherever you are going to put the DVR. Your builder will probably charge an arm and a leg to do this, so try and get a handyman or electrician to come in and pull the wiring before the drywall is up if possible. It will be much easier than climbing around and drilling holes after it is up. If you are getting an alarm system also, have a local alarm company come pre-wire before the walls are up also if the builder does not do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coog05 View Post
There are two types of wires - BNC/Analog or Ethernet - and you want the Ethernet type, so that removes the question of which wire to run/what technology to use. Just forget battery based wireless cameras - trust me you don't want to be climbing your roof to replace batteries every month. I am not even sure there is any security camera worth having that is battery powered. You can still use wireless cameras that are powered by an outlet - but then you will have to have the builder run power outlets to everywhere you want a camera, not to mention dealing with weather proofing issues etc. Wireless cameras (that run off main power) should be a last resort when you cant run a wire to a location. But since your house is still being built you don't have to worry about it.

Depending on your builder, they may not allow some random third party to come run wires while the house is under construction. People on here have had some success into talking their builders into letting them do that, but its more the exception than the rule. If you builder wont budge on this then your only option is have them run the wires. It may be a ripoff but it will save you a TON of pain later. It may be easy to run wires yourself later for cameras higher up by the attic, but for certain locations like the front door and back door, it will be very painful and expensive, if not impossible to run wires internally after the house is built (well with enough money you can do anything, but you know what I mean). Sure you can run the cables outside the house, but that will be plain ugly and not secure.

Also you may think you want 5 drops, but go ahead and get at least 8 (2 fronts, 2 sides, 1 rear, 1 back door, 1 front door at a minimum) even if you do not use all of them right away, it is much cheaper than wanting to add later for the reasons discussed above. Bottom line is you should run Ethernet cables before your dry walls go up to all the places you think you may install a camera (either through your builder or through 3rd party if allowed). Also have them signal test the cables at both end after they run the cables because lot of times they will bend the cable really hard or run a nail through it. I had a dead cable run caused by careless wiring that I discovered only after several months and it was a pain to re-run a new cable to that location. While you are at it, run some Ethernet cables for a video intercom system to your front door and kitchen/bedroom. Personally this has been the best security investment for me. PM me if you have any other questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Screw the builder. I had the same issue when I built my house. Here is what you need to do:

1. Renegotiate the $200 a drop or bring in your own wiring people before the walls are installed. Prepare to walk out of the deal.

2. Use structured wiring bundles instead one wire at the time, so they will only charge for one drop but you get several wires instead. See attached link for wire bundles:

Connect Your Home With Bundled Wire & Media Cable - Home Controls

I still have 1000FT of structured wiring from my house, I sale it cheap :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Drop your own Cat 5/6 cables and be done with it. It's not that hard.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
Just tell them you're walking out man. Is magic. Let them sweat a bit. I did that. They sold me the wiring drop at the vendor cost which was like $85 a pop and they let me use my own structured wiring bundle. Don't let them rape you like this. I hate when they do that. Is just the principle mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston