Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 13,881 times

Advertisements

We currently live about 30 miles northeast of Houston but my husband will start working out of Galveston soon. We have no idea where to live or what the school districts are like. From what I've seen based on the TEA ratings, the schools are not great. Two areas that we've considered are Santa Fe and Friendswood, but we really don't know anything about those areas. The big problem is that we can't afford much for housing. I saw that there are good schools, but to live in those areas are really expensive.

What we want is to buy a home for around 120K, live in SAFE area, and live in an area with good schools. Is this possible?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM

169 posts, read 678,817 times
I don't know much about areas in between Galveston and Houston, but if you're looking for good schools I wouldn't even consider Galveston itself. I've heard nice things about Santa Fe, hopefully someone with some more insight can help you out. Best of luck in your move!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
I had a family member who was going to medical school in Galveston, so they moved the family to Clear Lake and I think it's worked out okay...

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Try asking some of the Island locals on the galveston com website forum. They will have more information about what is going on ON the island and close by on the mainland. Galveston is growing and there are several new developments going in. There are some nice areas but I don't know exactly where and the schools. Try looking at publicschoolsreport.com for the demographics of each school. I do know there is a child that has gone to school w/ my oldest for a few years that moved here from Galveston and was accepted right into our local gifted & talented academy based on their grades and classes there so w/ that the schools can't ALL be bad. Just may take some searching to find the right areas. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM

169 posts, read 678,817 times
My children do well in Galveston schools, that isn't the problem. A good student is going to do well in almost any situation. I do live here and have 3 children in elementary, middle and high school so I do know a bit about what goes on. While the district here isn't the worst I've seen, it's definitely not one I'd recommend to anyone with a choice.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 50,374 times
I currently live in the Clear Lake area. I would say with no traffic you could drive to the island in about 40 minutes. Parts of Friendswood would be about the same commute. There are a couple places south of CL...League City... ...Dickinson...Seabrook...Kemah. You mentioned Santa Fe and it would be the closest. You have many choices. Just depends on how much you want to pay for a home...oh and of course the school systems. I graduated from Clear Lake highschool which is in the Clear Creek school district. Attended school in that district for every grade except kindergarden(sp?). I would like to think I turned out ok, and a little smarter than the average bear

Old 11-18-2006, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 40,949 times
Used to teach at Santa Fe ISD. It's not too bad. Feel comfortable that your kids will get a decent education. School board members vow to keep school taxes LOW - as low as they can get away with. League city (Clear creek ISD) has better schools, but the prices of houses are out of your range. You can find new home construction for under 150K in the Santa Fe area. Used homes will range depending on the area of Santa Fe. You shouldn't find a problem finding a house within your range in Santa Fe. Be warned: Santa Fe does not have a wide racial demographic with some suggesting problems with prejudice. If you are African American, I would not suggest living in this area.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:30 AM

13 posts, read 74,212 times
Move to Galveston. Take it from a Southern California boy--there are only 2 worthy places to live in Texas and they are Austin
and Galveston. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-27-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Keep it civil.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
The East End Historic District is, IMHO, the best place to live in Galveston.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 74,212 times
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been all over the world and I must say that Galveston, particualary in the historic areas, is indeed a unique jewel that should be treasured. Much nicer than anything else in Texas, a billion times over.
I mean why in the heck would people live inland here? It's not like you have beautiful mountains anywhere as backdrop. Moreover,The hurricane threat is very low when you compare to places like Florida and the Carolinas.

What's the deal Texans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston