Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 AM

93 posts, read 103,214 times

Advertisements

Is it builder responsibility to fix issue with standing water in culvert. I called Fort Bend county and they said it should be builder responsibility to fix it since the house is located in gated or private subdivision. Builder said (i will not mention name) there is not thing they can do about it. Should I talk to them again before I close as I am very concern about West Nile virus arise due to standing water. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 05:35 AM

189 posts, read 418,266 times
So, it's a gated community and the builder/developer is responsible for the roads instead of the city/county?

And you haven't closed yet on the home?

If they won't do anything now, before you close, you can be assured they really won't do anything after you close. It's been really dry the past month or so and there's water in it now? Is there a leaking water line or sprinkler's running too much?

Is it just the culvert that has water and not the nearby ditch? If so, then the culvert is set too low and the ground is not graded properly to drain.

I would keep pushing them and refuse to close, if you feel strongly about getting this fixed. You may want to speak with a lawyer, if you don't get anything out of them. Houses are still selling here, but it's not 'on fire' like it was last year. You probably have some stroke with them.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:20 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2006 View Post
So, it's a gated community and the builder/developer is responsible for the roads instead of the city/county?

And you haven't closed yet on the home?

If they won't do anything now, before you close, you can be assured they really won't do anything after you close. It's been really dry the past month or so and there's water in it now? Is there a leaking water line or sprinkler's running too much?

Is it just the culvert that has water and not the nearby ditch? If so, then the culvert is set too low and the ground is not graded properly to drain.

I would keep pushing them and refuse to close, if you feel strongly about getting this fixed. You may want to speak with a lawyer, if you don't get anything out of them. Houses are still selling here, but it's not 'on fire' like it was last year. You probably have some stroke with them.
Gated communities are usually considered private property. That includes the streets, etc.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
It's more likely on the developer than the builder if there is standing water in the utility areas. Drainage beyond your home wouldn't be covered by the builder. How far is this culvert from your home?

Old 10-25-2015, 02:22 AM

93 posts, read 103,214 times
yes, it's a gated community and the builder/developer is responsible for the roads instead of the city/county. Issue is this is build on our lot so we already closed on the house already and it's just a matter when they give us the key when house is completed. Culvert is about 60 feet away from the house on acre lot. With the rain yesterday, i am sure the matter would be a lot worse now. I have not gone back to the house to check but will do so today.

I guess main question is - Do builder responsible to grade the ditch so water will go through the culvert instead of standing in that area? Builder installed the culvert so shouldn't they be responsible to fix the standing water there?

Last edited by kutolam; 10-25-2015 at 02:52 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 04:53 AM

189 posts, read 418,266 times
My guess is the builder is going to blame the developer, ie- "if the ditch had been graded properly, then the water would drain". Regardless, I'd keep pushing the builder. I'd also start getting information from the developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston