Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowAboutThatEquity View Post
Any amount of time I take off my commute would be added to my husbands commute. In the Woodlands he had a 30-45 min commute while I had a 5 min commute so now it is his turn for the short commute. The further away we get from the city, the longer his commute into the city will be.
Not quite what I got from "works from home/all over the Houston area" but if he is truly commuting during rush hour I can see your dilemma. In terms of living day to day, you gotta go with your gut. Me, I prefer living as close in as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
The commuting difference TO SWEENY between Westbury and Sugar Land is negligible, while the commuting difference between Westbury and Sugar Land TO DOWNTOWN is significant. Go with Westbury.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
This is the perfect time to buy in the Westbury area. If a home didn't flood over Memorial Day or tax day it's doubtful it will flood. I live near Westbury and it's a great neighborhood. It's a mix of older original owners, Young families with kids, DINKS (dual income no kids).

If you live in the southern part, it would be quick access down Chimney rock to the Fort bend toll road. It would probably take an hour, but traffic would be light.

It's a fun place to live, and most of Houston is 15-20 minutes away.

Sugar Land is very nice, but much more insulated. If you live there, you will probably not go into Houston much.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I'm in Meyerland, so of course partial to the area . If you can find a Westbury house in your budget, zoned to Parker Elementary (the better of the elementaries in that neighborhood), you will be in good shape for the future (kids and/or resale).

I echo the sentiments on flooding. It didn't hit Westbury anywhere near as hard as the areas along Brays Bayou. If you look now, you will know exactly which homes flooded!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
I used to say that if a home didn't flood during Allison then that home will never flood. Then the Memorial Day and Tax Day floods flooded homes that had never flooded before.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Live in westbury and love it for the reasons you cited. The people are great and friendly. The attitudes are changing some what with so many new people moving here but I see many becoming more friendly and interactive with neighbors once they settle in. Lots of people buying homes are young couples or young couples with little kids.

Sugarland is a nice suburb but I wouldnt live there unless I wanted a suburb.

Ive never flooded and live in the flood plain. Ask neighbors about specific flood issues they will be up front. Its seems the work and expansion on willow Water hole park is working on reducing flooding. I feel less concerned about flooding than I did years ago

Old 05-04-2016, 04:39 PM

249 posts, read 561,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I'm in Meyerland, so of course partial to the area . If you can find a Westbury house in your budget, zoned to Parker Elementary (the better of the elementaries in that neighborhood), you will be in good shape for the future (kids and/or resale).

I echo the sentiments on flooding. It didn't hit Westbury anywhere near as hard as the areas along Brays Bayou. If you look now, you will know exactly which homes flooded!
I'd be pretty shocked if you could find anything livable at that budget in Parker zone. Anything that cheap is going to need a significant remodel.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM

31 posts, read 42,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
If you like Westbury you may want to look at Maplewood which is north of Braeswood and bounded by Hillcroft, Beechnut and Renwick (or Chimney Rock).

It's zoned to Bellaire High School.

I agree with this.

Also, regardless of which neighborhood you are in, try to get a home that is zoned to Parker or Kolter AND Johnston. This will also get you the Pin Oak option when the time comes. Even if you are not thinking about kids, having this feeder pattern associated with your home is good for property value!

I would not moved to Sugar Land were I in your position.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
I think for that budget you are going to be zoned to Anderson. Which is fine for no kids. Those homes are appreciating in value despite the poor schools. Just try to go as north as you can.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 AM

20 posts, read 26,754 times
Default Example of Parker/Johnston feeder home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbp View Post
Also, regardless of which neighborhood you are in, try to get a home that is zoned to Parker or Kolter AND Johnston. This will also get you the Pin Oak option when the time comes.
I'm considering similar areas in a slightly different situation as the OP (2 young children).
But can someone give an example of a property that would fit JJBP's description above for the school feeder options within the OPs price range $300k?

Also the homes that have been flooded have been remediated. What is the definition of this? Does this mean claimed against insurance only or has there been any work to improve/stabilize the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston