Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times

Advertisements

Aargh! Should have done Global Entry! Chris_ut, I agree, but I suppose it is worth it to bypass that Mickey Mouse security!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
What a deal, pay extra fees on your ticket for Mickey Mouse security theatre then get to pay more to bypass it.
Whatever your opinions on efficacy, it is absolutely worth $20/year to bypass security and customs lines if you travel with modest frequency. Even if you travel only once per year, I recommend it if you truly value your time.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
What a deal, pay extra fees on your ticket for Mickey Mouse security theatre then get to pay more to bypass it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Whatever your opinions on efficacy, it is absolutely worth $20/year to bypass security and customs lines if you travel with modest frequency. Even if you travel only once per year, I recommend it if you truly value your time.
Absolutely this. You can make fun of TSA security all you want, but you still wait in their lines.

Unless you have TSA Precheck.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Or you fly out of small airports and wait the same time

Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
It only took once for me to see the value in global entry. Once i was leaving out of the orlando airport. the "normal" line was over an hour if not worse. I got through the precheck line in about 5 minutes.

Plus you don't have to disrobe and bend over for a cavity check. They can still do that to you but a lot less likely.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Or you fly out of small airports and wait the same time
Not sure I understand your point? We live in Houston, where are we going to fly out of a smaller airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
It only took once for me to see the value in global entry. Once i was leaving out of the orlando airport. the "normal" line was over an hour if not worse. I got through the precheck line in about 5 minutes.
We just came back from overseas last month. We had received our Global Entry status the month prior, specifically for this trip (and for TSA in the future). Coming in to customs in Houston, we went to the GE kiosks, instead of the queue of people waiting for a customs agent. Walked right up to a open kiosk, slid in our passports, got a slip of paper in return. Left the kiosk, showed the slip of paper to the customs agent as we walked right out of that area. Picked up our luggage, showed the slip again and left the airport. Less than five minutes, start to finish.

GE for the win!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,241 times
Depending on your background it could take a few weeks to come back.

TSA Precheck totally worth it if you travel often.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
If you have any arrests (not just convictions) for even a misdemeanor you will still get sent to secondary inspection every time. I had an old issue I got expunged or I would be getting "hits" upon re entry every time ( global entry or not )

Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
I am not a citizen so that will cause extra scrutiny. I am sure there has been a flood of applications after the fiasco's recently so that will probably slow everything down too.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I am not a citizen so that will cause extra scrutiny. I am sure there has been a flood of applications after the fiasco's recently so that will probably slow everything down too.
If you are a frequent traveler it's worth it like others have said. Not just that it's faster but since it's mostly other frequent travelers using it the line moves smother since everyone knows what to do. I hate being stuck behind someone that is clueless regarding airport security procedures. They usually slow everyone else down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: