Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 PM

79 posts, read 108,825 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

After months of job searching and forum trolling, my husband and I have decided to move to Houston (as opposed to Atlanta, which was our first choice). We currently reside in Chicago, which is getting scarier and scarier by the minute. I work in commercial real estate and, compared to Atlanta, there are sooooo many more opportunities for me there.

We value diversity, so needless to say we're looking for a neighborhood that reflects that. Our housing budget is ~$1,200 for a 2BD (single family detached). Can you suggest some neighborhoods that would be good, but most importantly SAFE? We have a 7 month daughter, so daycare is a concern as well. I'm guessing that I'll be working in the downtown area, so access to public transportation is a must.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:39 PM

447 posts, read 487,968 times
I don't think you can find 2 bd single detached in safe area for your budget, sorry.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:52 PM

277 posts, read 304,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Hi All,

After months of job searching and forum trolling, my husband and I have decided to move to Houston (as opposed to Atlanta, which was our first choice). We currently reside in Chicago, which is getting scarier and scarier by the minute. I work in commercial real estate and, compared to Atlanta, there are sooooo many more opportunities for me there.

We value diversity, so needless to say we're looking for a neighborhood that reflects that. Our housing budget is ~$1,200 for a 2BD (single family detached). Can you suggest some neighborhoods that would be good, but most importantly SAFE? We have a 7 month daughter, so daycare is a concern as well. I'm guessing that I'll be working in the downtown area, so access to public transportation is a must.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are moving to Houston this summer and have done quite a bit of work...I think you can find a home for $900-$1100 that is a 2BD but the issue is with property taxes...those will bump you about $400-500 over your budget...why not consider a townhome? There are many master planned communities that have townhomes as well as homes of all sizes..you still benefit from the parks/etc. but you might find a better deal on a resale or new. For diversity, I think you'd love Sugar Land or Sienna Plantation area...I loved the fact I could hear 5 different languages at the local Kroger The closer you get into downtown, the more pricey? Try looking at www.har.com for your specific needs and draw a map, that'll help!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
I'm assuming you're renting? $1200 budget will not go far for single family detached in relatively safe neighborhoods. You could easily find an apt for that much though.

Just FYI the public transportation system is terrible here. It's very car centric. Having a car is not necessary but it makes life A LOT easier.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 PM

115 posts, read 147,148 times
1200 budget won't get in much in Houston anywhere that is considered safe. Maybe a small 2/1 apartment at best.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
You can maybe do 1200/month in West Houston in the Katy area. Look on the north side of the I-10 between Barker-Cypress on the East and the Grand Parkway on the West. The neighborhoods will probably be majority Hispanic but with a fair amount of diversity. Most of the schools there are at least adequate and some are high ranking. Also, if you go above your budget by $200, you'll have a whole lot more to choose from. 1400 seems to be the sweet spot for what you are after. HAR, or the Houston Area Real Estate app will be your best friend.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
I wouldnt assume that you will be working Downtown. Commercial Real Estate could be anywhere,Greenway,Galleria,Energy Corridor etc

Old 05-30-2016, 04:08 PM

77 posts, read 95,951 times
For public transport to downtown, look at the areas served by METRO Park and Ride buses. Since you're not looking for great schools at this point it makes your search easier as well. Even better if you're close to other major employment areas (mostly along 610 West Loop, Beltway 8 West and I-10 West) and have a car.

You should be able to find what you're looking for along 290 in Northwest Houston. The closest Park and Rides are at W. Little York Dr. and West Rd. This corresponds to the area north of 290 outside Beltway 8 in older neighborhoods such as Steeplechase, Winchester, and Harvest Bend. Just your ordinary suburbs, lots of empty nesters as well as young Hispanic families. Those areas tend to have some 2-3 bedroom homes in your budget, if you can snap them up. $1400 will open you up to many more options, or get an apartment in a newer complex along the Beltway for even more options. Do you have pets?

Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I wouldnt assume that you will be working Downtown. Commercial Real Estate could be anywhere,Greenway,Galleria,Energy Corridor etc
Good to know! We shall see what my job search reveals.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
We are moving to Houston this summer and have done quite a bit of work...I think you can find a home for $900-$1100 that is a 2BD but the issue is with property taxes...those will bump you about $400-500 over your budget...why not consider a townhome? There are many master planned communities that have townhomes as well as homes of all sizes..you still benefit from the parks/etc. but you might find a better deal on a resale or new. For diversity, I think you'd love Sugar Land or Sienna Plantation area...I loved the fact I could hear 5 different languages at the local Kroger The closer you get into downtown, the more pricey? Try looking at www.har.com for your specific needs and draw a map, that'll help!
We will be renting to start, so the property taxes are not a factor but I will certainly consider renting a townhome. And yes, Sugar land is looking pretty good right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston