Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Define "cold"? Are you using the native Houstonian "break out the furry boots when it drops under 80" definition?
Cold is temperatures under 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelite View Post
The combination of heat and humidity makes it feel like hell on Earth.
Worse than the summer weather in New Orleans??

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelite View Post
The combination of heat and humidity makes it feel like hell on Earth.
When was the last time anyone heard that New Orleans was "hell on Earth"? They are the same latitude as Houston, same distance from the coast and have a large bodies of water right by the city, like we do with the bay. Houston city for some reason has a rep from the media on this weather thing like they do with country music/Nashville where I grew up.

I never laid eyes on Houston until age 26 and moved here from Austin at age 39. I got that "Houston is unbearable" programmed into me before adulthood. Stupid busybody journalists got nothing better to do than stereotype a locale. New Orleans has the Quarter, Nashville got the redneck music and Houston got the cowboys and heat. It doesn't occur to them that kids in Nashville (or Houston) do not pledge allegiance to "Country" and that if Houston had the French Quarter, that would be the Houston identity, not the heat.

Here is a website showing yearly average temperatures. Houston's is 71.05, New Orleans' is 71.25. And think about it, that's with Houston 5x the size of New Orleans and with the concrete and asphalt to go with it. You never read or hear the media people complain about the heat in New Orleans do you? Probably because they like to get drunk and/or fat there: https://temperature.weatherdb.com/

Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 PM

198 posts, read 190,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Whenever I'm in Houston, I find May very tolerable. Not bad at all. Humid but nothing oppressive. It doesn't really start becoming oppressive until June and it lasts all the way to September. Like the rest of Texas, it seems Houston's heat peaks in August.
The August "heat peak" is actually a recent trend; it is only with this recent 30-yr normal period (1981-2010) that August started becoming the hottest month. If you look at historic normals, you find that July, rather than August, was the "heat peak." This applied for much of Texas as well:

1971-2000:
http://i.imgur.com/ouoOK0D.png

1981-2010:
http://i.imgur.com/bRgrzWK.png

Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
When was the last time anyone heard that New Orleans was "hell on Earth"? They are the same latitude as Houston, same distance from the coast and have a large bodies of water right by the city, like we do with the bay. Houston city for some reason has a rep from the media on this weather thing like they do with country music/Nashville where I grew up.

I never laid eyes on Houston until age 26 and moved here from Austin at age 39. I got that "Houston is unbearable" programmed into me before adulthood. Stupid busybody journalists got nothing better to do than stereotype a locale. New Orleans has the Quarter, Nashville got the redneck music and Houston got the cowboys and heat. It doesn't occur to them that kids in Nashville (or Houston) do not pledge allegiance to "Country" and that if Houston had the French Quarter, that would be the Houston identity, not the heat.

Here is a website showing yearly average temperatures. Houston's is 71.05, New Orleans' is 71.25. And think about it, that's with Houston 5x the size of New Orleans and with the concrete and asphalt to go with it. You never read or hear the media people complain about the heat in New Orleans do you? Probably because they like to get drunk and/or fat there: https://temperature.weatherdb.com/
Preach it, I ain't one to be takin' guff from the media neither!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 86,133 times
Came here from Wisconsin last fall, still don't get what all the whining is about. It's freaking beautiful out here, today included.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Houston weather keeps things interesting.

I miss all the lush and diverse plant life.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:43 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I don't know if Houston has the worst weather
But I know for a fact that Houston has the most pu....s constantly complaining about hot weather

Old 07-01-2016, 10:29 PM

198 posts, read 190,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie14 View Post
I agree. I moved here from Southern California last summer. We lived less than a mile from the beach, and had perfect weather. I was expecting Houston weather to be miserable. I have found that a few months of summer was a little rough, but I loved winter and spring. Winter was definitely cold to me. Frost on the grass = cold for sure.
So you like the cold?

Also, frost can actually happen when the air temperature is above freezing; it is all a matter of radiational cooling.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post

Most people visit New Orleans outside of the summer months, so they're unaware just how hot it actually gets there. Same for Miami.

Houston is still hotter than both, though. Drier air means higher temps and less rain in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston